Anti-Fun

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DarksideEric

01-27-2013

Exactly what is "anti-fun?"

I've seen people describe Teemo, Singed, Nunu, Darius, and Blitz as "anti-fun," but give no other reason other than sometimes they are hard to deal with.

I mean, being stunned by Taric, Annie or Sion isn't fun... because I'm stunned, and therefore can't kill them.

Being turned into a cute fluffy pet by Lulu isn't fun.

Snared by Moaki, not fun.

Silenced by LeBlanc or Soraka? Also not fun.

So, what exactly is this "anti-fun" mentality and how does it have any real basis for champion discussion?

Nyx Warframe

01-27-2013

I sure as hell might not "Love" the aspect of teemo shrooms being all over the map, and having to avoid them, but it does add strategy. You have to be CAUTIOUS. People that say it's anti fun are mad that they lost to those champs. It's not anti fun. It just adds a hard to handle concept to the game, and some people can't handle that in depth game play. Such as teemo shrooms, or avoiding blitz pulls, or kiting singed correctly, or staying away from darius. etc. Anti fun is not real.

JustMyBassCannon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2013

Riot basically doesn't like to explain exactly why they're making changes when they make the videos. They know that all of the lower level community and maybe some of the mid and high level will give them **** for WHATEVER they do. But it doesn't make sense that people don't want to let Riot change their own goddamn game.

Anyway, so instead of giving exact reasons most of the time, they'll often say that they're making a change because "this is toxic gameplay" or "that's anti-fun" or something. The community just picks up on that and uses it as an excuse to demand Riot nerf anything that they haven't tried rubbing their two brain cells together about.

Chitose

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksideEric View Post
Exactly what is "anti-fun?"

I've seen people describe Teemo, Singed, Nunu, Darius, and Blitz as "anti-fun," but give no other reason other than sometimes they are hard to deal with.
champion discussion?
anti fun means you can't play full on aggressive versus the person. when going agaisnt a blitz the pull is always a threat so for some match-ups (outside of ranked) there is nothing you can do but passively farm.
Darius is very strong right now and snowballs if he gets a lead, can chase well, and has a super strong ulti.
Nunu can zone very difficulty and does silly amounts of damage when going mid.
Singed can nearly be unkillable and when farmed actually have some damage output.
Teemo vs a melee can be very frustrating because of the blind...

the reason ppl are not as but hurt about lulu/taric/raka etc is because you can still play aggressive and overpower them..

these examples are not absolute and of course there is the guy who says (just dodge blitz's pullz and he's trazh) but i hope they give you an idea of what unfair is exactly.

PapstJL4U

01-27-2013

anti-fun: repetitively and easy todo things without drawbacks. so i never heared, that Singed and Nunu are anti-fun.

for Darius: well, he just ultis and get kills easily. there is nothing hard about "run it, aa, ulti and ultis and ultis" Darius literally is hated by both teamsides.
for blitz: he has a gamechanging ability every 12s in mid to lategame. it is pretty annoying, when you must be careful 24/7, while the enemy can be sloppy.

if the amount of work you have to do to make X work is much less the the amount of work you have to do to counterplay it, you can call it anti-fun.

imho

Anachronity

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas

Anti-fun is the negative experience your opponents feel when you do something that prevents them from 'playing their game' or doing activities they consider fun. While everything useful you can do as a player is likely to cause SOME anti-fun in your opponents, it only becomes a design issue when the 'anti-fun' created on your use of a mechanic is greater than your fun in using the mechanic. Dark Binding is VERY favorable on this measurement, because opponents get clutch dodges just like you get clutch hits, so it might actually create fun on both sides, instead of fun on one and weak anti-fun on another. On the other hand, a strong mana burn is NOT desirable -- if you drain someone to 0 you feel kinda good, and they feel TERRIBLE -- so the anti-fun is exceeded by the fun. This is important because the goal of the game is for players to have fun, so designers should seek abilities that result in a net increase of fun in the game. Basic design theory, yes?
This

DarksideEric

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitose View Post
anti fun means you can't play full on aggressive versus the person. when going agaisnt a blitz the pull is always a threat so for some match-ups (outside of ranked) there is nothing you can do but passively farm.
Darius is very strong right now and snowballs if he gets a lead, can chase well, and has a super strong ulti.
Nunu can zone very difficulty and does silly amounts of damage when going mid.
Singed can nearly be unkillable and when farmed actually have some damage output.
Teemo vs a melee can be very frustrating because of the blind...

the reason ppl are not as but hurt about lulu/taric/raka etc is because you can still play aggressive and overpower them..

these examples are not absolute and of course there is the guy who says (just dodge blitz's pullz and he's trazh) but i hope they give you an idea of what unfair is exactly.
So... you've basically only said "anti-fun" is nothing more than "we can't be aggressive."

That's not a logical argument in the least.

Keira Helsh

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarksideEric View Post
So... you've basically only said "anti-fun" is nothing more than "we can't be aggressive."

That's not a logical argument in the least.
Actually, it is when you consider that Riot's design goal was for league to be much more aggressive than DotA. These champions force you to play DotA instead of LoL.

It's less about aggression being fun, and more about how these champions contradict their design intentions.

Tsabo

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayem237 View Post
Actually, it is when you consider that Riot's design goal was for league to be much more aggressive than DotA. These champions force you to play DotA instead of LoL.

It's less about aggression being fun, and more about how these champions contradict their design intentions.
I love that.

Anti-fun to me... doesn't exist.

DarksideEric

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayem237 View Post

From what I've heard, DotA games, on average take longer than LoL games (lemme research Google for a sec)

DotA games on average last 45+ min.

LoL games average out to about 30 min.

None of the aforementioned "anti-fun" champions are known for forcing games to take 45 min.