What Features Would You Like For DominateDominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MoonsBane

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-26-2013

Elo/rankings calculator. Love to see where i stand amongst other players. When we could check i was around 1700 and i've gotten about 30 more wins than from that. Just throw together a ranking chart based off of W/L.

naotasan

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD TheFeedski View Post
Gaaaah. I've wanted to do this for quite some time. I definitely need to try to find some staff to help me out with it but i'll do my best to bring that to ya.
I started a new job and I'm getting more and more hours, but I can volunteer some time to do replay reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonsBane View Post
Elo/rankings calculator. Love to see where i stand amongst other players. When we could check i was around 1700 and i've gotten about 30 more wins than from that. Just throw together a ranking chart based off of W/L.
I have done hours and hours of thinking on this and talked to Feedski about the idea myself.
It would require a LOT of work and a team of people to validate the games played for a custom ranked mode.

It must take place in custom games, with an "approved" spectator, screenshots, someone to code up a system to input the data (web based system), and then develop a ranking system on our own. We would have to use our own ranking system because the "elo" system that Riot uses is unknown so we can't copy it. Sure we know that wins are more elo and loses are more elo, but we don't know the things that factor in how many points you gain/lose.

Basically, I'm saying its a large project that would require a lot of effort from the community to be an effective route. A big headache.

I'll give you this though. If you can design the system, and I mean every single part of the system, post it up. I'm sure that in itself will be enough inspiration for everyone to hop on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inFe eD View Post
Also whenever Konfetarius makes a glorious play like he does at http://www.twitch.tv/dominatedominio...5876?t=266m15s it should be front-page featured. You don't find comedy gold like that just anywhere.
"Featured clips of Dominate Dominion ####"
Just thinking about that.... datass.jpg

Feedski needs a video editing team, pronto.

Sakuri Ono

01-26-2013

Quote:
Pick-up teams for the DD tourney like the ones we had ages ago. Players who don't have teams sign up and get randomly assigned to conglomerate teams of mega-awesomeness.

So much this.

-or-

A potential add-on to this suggestion: To encourage new players to try out DD create anywhere from one to two 'Mentor Rookie Teams'. Basically, teams that will accept anyone/everyone on the caveat that they have never played in a DD tournament more than once or twice, on any team (not counting the captain, who has to be a approved for the role prior by DD admins); in a 'no pressure' environment where rookies can try their hand without some knucklehead screaming at them for not being perfect. Pretty much generating a constantly fresh rotation of players; a kind of needed feature seeing as how DD's LFT system is absolutely dead.

Additionally; I personally would like to see the DD forums maintained more loyally. Even if just once a day someone really needs to be on spam bot duty. Over the past several days spam has piled up there to the point where nearly the entire first full page of 'New Posts' is spam-bot generated content.

Paints a bad picture for the forum (and the site). Pretty much the equivalent of letting your house accumulate seven layers of dust over every surface before you invite the guests over.

NamKim

01-27-2013

Quote:
Pick-up teams for the DD tourney like the ones we had ages ago. Players who don't have teams sign up and get randomly assigned to conglomerate teams of mega-awesomeness.

Also whenever Konfetarius makes a glorious play like he does at http://www.twitch.tv/dominatedominio...5876?t=266m15s it should be front-page featured. You don't find comedy gold like that just anywhere.
To be honest, I think you could probably get that on the Top Five Fails Video. Would be good Dominion advertisement. And all we "lose" is hurting Konfetarius's ego...so, pretty much everyone but him wins [I'm sure Konfetarius is really a nice guy and is pretty kickass awesome].

Dominion Player of the Week Interviews
Doesn't necessary have to be a high elo player.
One thing I like really like about the Dominion community is how inclusive we are. Let's be honest, I'm an annoying, hyperactive, 19 year old that really does suck at Dominion. Yet, I can go on the DominateDominion chatroom and people are still incredibly welcoming. Yes, there are a few "spicy" topics around but if you avoid those, we are all incredibly nice people. Doing something involving random active DominateDominion players would make them feel more involved. It also makes them feel like they want to contribute more to the community...If a Rioter actively players Dominion, I think you should try to interview them first.

Finding someone who is willing to do interviews shouldn't be too hard.

Also, I would like it if Dominate Dominion advertised Gandair's Dominion Breakdown a little. To those of you who do not know, Gandair of the Gaming Clan Vato Clan has these videos called "Dominion Breakdown" on his YouTube channel. They talk about stuff like Runes, History of Dominion, new Patch Changes, etc. He invites high elo players to talk about these things. I would suggest that Gandair turn his one long video into several shorter ones to make it easier to access them. Instead of one two hour video, make them into multiple ten minute long videos. You could even tell Gandair so he can account those breaks when he is doing the actual recording. I'm sure everyone in those video would enjoy a few water breaks. Plus, Gandair said he is having trouble finding guests due to how long these videos are. Just some food for thought.

As for the Top Plays, I don't think we need to do anything super fancy. I think at first we should get them rolling. Then we can hopefully attract people who are good at these type of stuff. I'm sure that there are some video editors who would love to do small free side projects to show off their works to future employers.
Quote:
Additionally; I personally would like to see the DD forums maintained more loyally. Even if just once a day someone really needs to be on spam bot duty. Over the past several days spam has piled up there to the point where nearly the entire first full page of 'New Posts' is spam-bot generated content.

Paints a bad picture for the forum (and the site). Pretty much the equivalent of letting your house accumulate seven layers of dust over every surface before you invite the guests over.
I remembered back when I was an Admin of a small WCIII forum. This was always so annoying. I eventually had shut down guest posting. Before I just stopped being a mod/admin, I think some of the more advanced ones started to learn to register accounts so I had to start adding verification stuff. Which I hate since no one can ever figure out numbers/letters they are.

AlphaFerric

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by naotasan View Post
I have done hours and hours of thinking on this and talked to Feedski about the idea myself.
It would require a LOT of work and a team of people to validate the games played for a custom ranked mode.

It must take place in custom games, with an "approved" spectator, screenshots, someone to code up a system to input the data (web based system), and then develop a ranking system on our own. We would have to use our own ranking system because the "elo" system that Riot uses is unknown so we can't copy it. Sure we know that wins are more elo and loses are more elo, but we don't know the things that factor in how many points you gain/lose.

Basically, I'm saying its a large project that would require a lot of effort from the community to be an effective route. A big headache.
I think what you've proposed is much more complicated than it needs to be. As it stands outside software can mine how many wins and losses someone has in blind pick (see lolreplay). This means the data is available from Riot, probably through their API (not 100% sure on that). From there you get all kinds of data sets from individual win rates on a daily basis, as well as lifetime win loss data to determine impact of wins and losses in a day.
The only trick really is not harvesting too much data from the servers while still maintaining a decent player spread.

For an example we could set Sauron as the far right of the curve at 2400, myself at the middle with 1200, and REV2BAD as the 0 elo spot. You could say that on a daily basis Sauron maintains a winrate of 2:1, I maintain a 50/50 win loss rate on a daily basis, and REV2BAD loses every game he plays. The spread between Sauron and myself is then determined on winrate on a daily basis of <2 & >.5, and between REV2BAD and myself as >0 & <.5. From there it turns into how much you value a high winrate relative to total wins and losses (where being 50-0 is much better than 150-100 over the course of a day). The reason this is important is most systems allot more points the earlier you hit a long win streak as it implies skill far greater than the starting spot of 1200, while a streak later can be attributed to a slight gain of skill after a long time. You can also set the far right of the curve to be expandable, where an increasing winrate can push past 2400 and simply assign some slow exponentially decaying point allowance for further wins (fairly certain this is how most elo systems function anyways). However, 0 and 1200 would remain as stagnant positions since they are set win/loss values.

Also note that I'm making a big deal about win rate, so you would need a few starter sets of data to get the system going decently, and a couple weeks to normalize.

Going by a daily basis you limit server traffic and still supply information players want. Just a thought at least.

DG TheFeedski

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by naotasan View Post
Feedski needs a video editing team, pronto.
That's for sure! Keep the ideas coming guys. I'm going to find a developer and get an idea of what it will cost.

Golly

01-28-2013

Here are my requests as features for DD. Ranked from highest to lowest priority.

1) Load times on the webpage are an issue. Maybe it's because of increased traffic, but this should be dealt with first.

2) A solid streamer status. Akin to teamliquid.net. Show us who is online (from the frontpage) and a link with embedded stream, as well as a link to the streaming platform they stream on. If you've ever been featured on sites like teamliquid or solomid, it will automatically list you every time you go live.

3) A guide system. Akin to mobafire but strictly for Dominion. Maybe mobafire can sponsor this? (not a redirect to mobafire.com)

4) An easy searchable VoD system for all previous DD tournaments. I should be able to come to dominatedominion.com and easily find X team vs Y team VoD of DD #21 if I want to.

5) Uploaded replays of all DD tournaments, and the ability to upload and view any replay. (lolreplay)

6) Theoretically, an elo system comprised from data currently being mined from websites like lolmatches.com. (Not sure how hard this would be to implement.)

7) A tournament feature, so eventually you could go independent of tournament sponsored websites.

I know that this might not be possible under Wordpress, but it should be done regardless.

Also realize Digikid is working on some of this. Would be neat to see it all done.

This is my ultimate wish-list. If this were implemented, there would rarely be a reason to visit any other website. And it would be my to-do list if I were owner of said site.

DG TheFeedski

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golly View Post

Also realize Digikid is working on some of this. Would be neat to see it all done.

This is my ultimate wish-list. If this were implemented, there would rarely be a reason to visit any other website. And it would be my to-do list if I were owner of said site.
I have no idea where Digikid disappeared to. Haven't seen him in a while. I definitely need to find out why the site has been loading slowly, and the other things you listed i'll try to get done. I think I need to make another post regarding a need of staff, because it's too much for me to do all by myself with my classes going on as well. Thanks for the ideas!

Tortferngatr

01-28-2013

I'd definitely like a Top 5 Plays.

If plausible, I'd also like to see a "Guest Star" showmatch after the finals/third place matches, where LoL community celebrities (think stonewall008, Guardsman Bob, Necrit, SivHD, featured streamers, maaaybe Dyrus if he's up for it) have the opportunity to play a special showmatch with pros from each of the top 4 teams as their teammates, facing against another community celebrity (or a Rioter.)

It seems like it MIGHT be a nice way to get people on board with Dominion if they accept the offer to participate.

Raasu

01-29-2013

Dominion mentoring, top 5 comebacks, best teamwork awards.

For the teamwork awards they would have to send in a clip and it would be compared against the other clips you have.

For comebacks there would probably have to be certain criteria such as amount of points remaining before the comeback, difficulty of the team comp they were facing, skill level of the players, etc.

Dominion mentoring is something that might not catch on at first but I think it would be a great way to start getting Dominion more popular. A lot of people don't play Dom because they don't want to learn things about it. If we were to start teaching the people who were willing to learn they would catch on and start playing Dominion, thus increasing the population of the Dominion queues and overall players contributing to the Dom community.

This would lead to a snowball of players in time as the players we teach would then be able to teach others and show them that Dom is a great game mode.

Another thing you could do is make an advertisement/promotional video for DominateDominion or just for Dominion in general. You could insert some really good clips of Dominion into said advertisement/promotional video and post the video on Youtube, Reddit, or something similar and then put some links to it in different places like Facebook, Myspace, or even the forums here.

EDIT: You could even do in-house Dom matches specifically for learning in a more beginner friendly environment until people get their bearings on how to play.