Preseason 3 Digi-Art Throwdown Happening Now!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lucidia

02-02-2013

http://sweet-dreams137.deviantart.co...shed-351920702 This one is my entry. But I feel my chances slipping. I will have to practice digital art now that I have done this. Its not completely terrible for first time doing digital art...always looking for tips/helpful info. Don't really understand how to use most of the art programs. (Had a few people explain them to me while working on this..next time background will be made first not the drawing lol.

Tizara

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidia View Post
http://sweet-dreams137.deviantart.co...shed-351920702 This one is my entry. But I feel my chances slipping. I will have to practice digital art now that I have done this. Its not completely terrible for first time doing digital art...always looking for tips/helpful info. Don't really understand how to use most of the art programs. (Had a few people explain them to me while working on this..next time background will be made first not the drawing lol.

Actually backgrounds and lighting (opacity mapping) should always come last. The character should come first because say you draw her/him/it in one position but then decide to change the silhouette up. If your background is already done then you have to change this or you begin to want to -squeeze in- the character onto the page. In your picture which I think is a brilliant start, I feel you need to darken up shadows and add highlights . You have all of your grays but no blacks or whites. If you go into any art program, like Photoshop you should put the picture into grayscale and use "levels" tool to get more contrast to see where you need your highlights and shadows. I really hope this helps. And keep going on digital painting!! Those that practice the most do it best. It's not something you are born with. Train your eye

pitchwhite

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizara View Post
Actually backgrounds and lighting (opacity mapping) should always come last. The character should come first because say you draw her/him/it in one position but then decide to change the silhouette up. If your background is already done then you have to change this or you begin to want to -squeeze in- the character onto the page. In your picture which I think is a brilliant start, I feel you need to darken up shadows and add highlights . You have all of your grays but no blacks or whites. If you go into any art program, like Photoshop you should put the picture into grayscale and use "levels" tool to get more contrast to see where you need your highlights and shadows. I really hope this helps. And keep going on digital painting!! Those that practice the most do it best. It's not something you are born with. Train your eye
Neither subject or background should be "first". Composition is and always is first. All elements of a piece should be designed to complement each other and act as a whole, not with a single, otherwise significant element being added as an afterthought.

Tizara

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchwhite View Post
Neither subject or background should be "first". Composition is and always is first. All elements of a piece should be designed to complement each other and act as a whole, not with a single, otherwise significant element being added as an afterthought.
Yes I agree that composition should be "first" but it doesn't have to be. Sometimes as artists, we don't even know what we want our composition to be at first and that's one of the great things about being a digital artist (there's cropping, layers, wrap tools, hand tool, warp, fully erase, and more). You should always think about your composition as you go along. Thinking of composition right off the bat is hard for most because in your mind it might be completely different then when you draw it or you might think of a better idea. Your ideas are going to change when you start drawing so composition should be thought throughout the whole process of drawing, not be "first" or "last." For example, the rules of thirds is much easier to accomplish last for a digital artist because of cropping.

Though this is not the same for traditional artists. Its hard to get rid of acrylic paint or charcoal on a paper, haha =P

slowgun9

02-02-2013

Thanks JKGN!
In response to Lucidia: every artist is different and you really have to find what's best for you. You'll figure it out as you go. I like to keep my bg and foreground as separate layers in Photoshop. My experience has been that it makes thinks easier to edit.
I have to agree with pitchwhite when he said that "Neither subject or background should be 'first.' Composition is." Oftentimes, an artwork is started with thumbnail sketches so that you can envision your picture without getting too invested in a design and so you can look at it without bias. The Riot guys do this because they can sign off on a design without getting too invested in the picture only to discover later it was the wrong path to take and have a bunch of time wasted.
YouTube is actually a great place to develop your digital skills; there are tons of great tutorials out there when it comes to digital paintings. I've attached a couple of really good links on the subject. The first link is an LoL champion art spotlight and the second link is FZD School of Design's channel, which has a lot of great info on digital art techniques and composition. I hope this helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3F5zlJL5GA
and
http://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL

Lucidia

02-02-2013

Well thank you Tizara, pitchwhite and slowgun9. I submitted it just in case things made it so I couldn't work on it much more...I will try working on the highlights and shadows. If you click back you can see how mine started without color. Had drawn it then photographed it since my scanner isn't working for whatever reason.
I know one of my very weak points is proportions. And since I didn't know about how adding layers could help a bunch I did so much of it in one layer. Till another player gave me some pointers. I am pretty content with how my first shot with it turned out. I know its not the most polished/best looking but like you all have pointed out it takes practice and everyone does things differently. :3
Thanks again ^ ^

Tizara

02-02-2013

I agree I think all artists are different and have individual unique styles. Also Lucidia, I would reference everything when you draw.

As for composition, correct me if I'm wrong but in the industry if working on any project in cinematics, video games, etc usually it's the "compositors" that get things last because they do final touches to a production. In short, they put things together to make a complete composition that is visually appealing to the viewer. Composition should be thought out in the pre-production, development/production, and post production. It shouldn't be a specific time era (i.e. "first") where it is only applied to, which is what I was trying to explain ("You should always think about your composition as you go along...composition should be thought throughout the whole process"). The artist first thinks of the composition and at the end is where the artist should subtract or add to the final composition.

Sorry if I am incorrect! I am still learning and I like these art talks!

Lucidia

02-02-2013

No worries I am certainly still learning everything. Went to school for a little while for art things but haven't done much of any art since 2009ish. I have always had trouble with proportions. I use to mimic things I saw as best as I could.

artzombi3

02-02-2013

http://artzombi3.deviantart.com/art/...tlet-351970850

Meow meow mew
Teemo is in there somewhere, try and find him :P

Still pretty paranoid about my submission being properly submitted lol. I submitted it twice...

Private Pancakes

02-03-2013

Anyone know if you get a confirmation e-mail after submitting your work? Not sure if they've received it or not