pure AP per lvl , flat AP or magic Pen runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ledikari

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2010

which is better?

-well i saw a master Yi with full armor pen runes, and it owns (7th strike + Q), can mages own with full magic pen runes?
-Seen lvl 3 annie with 50 ap, and she hurts alot! i guess she has pure flat AP runes, or AP per lvl is better?

Buk Wild

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-22-2010

armor pen > ap...more items offer AP then armor pen

Mr Knife

10-22-2010

I go with per lvl ap runes because they get better at about lvl's 9-13, flat ap is really only for first blood or early game harassing.

Harbringer1

10-22-2010

magic pen.

ReadInPeace

10-22-2010

If your champ uses AP for other than hurting others (shields, heals), then get AP in everything but the Mark slots (magicpen is still good, and is unique to Marks and Quints, but I prefer HP in Quints).

If you're champ only has offensive abilities, I'd prefer cooldown reduction and magicpen over AP. An exception would be Veigar, who with a Zhonya's ring, can make pretty good use of AP per lvl runes (tons of AP lategame with the Zhonya's passive bonus).

Mowarth

10-22-2010

If you play a champion with good AP ratios (Sion for instance) - flat ap is awesome from lvl 1 to 5, however I always pick Mpen over AP because it simply works better for most casters.

Ballocaust

10-22-2010

If you compare glyphs, flat AP is .99 AP i believe while AP/lvl are .17 per level. So AP/level catch up extremely quickly to flat AP. Arpen/Mpen are typically used in the marks slot, and before the recent arpen changes it was almost a sure thing that you're using one or the other (save a few exceptions such as jungling builds). Mpen glyphs are fairly weak - .59 flat mpen I believe. If you're looking for an extremely strong early game, levels 1-6, then I suppose stacking mpen (marks AND glyphs) or using flat AP glyphs is plausible. Or if you main someone like Annie or Veigar who relies on last hitting creeps with Q but have a hard time last hitting (but for some reason still think you should play Annie or Veigar), then flat AP will give you a little extra oomph. And I suppose if you were intending to hardcore snowball as Annie, flat AP might be decent to give you the edge so that at 6 a kill is guaranteed. But for most people that's a waste of 9 glyph slots. 9 mpen glyphs at .59 per gives you an extra flat 5.3 mpen. That's not turrible early game, but compared to 40% pen from void staff or even something like abyssal's 20mpen reduction aura it's a pretty poor use of rune slots for mid and end game.

tl;dr mpen marks, glyphs your call but AP/lvl > flat AP by level 6.

I haven't looked at the numbers too recently and I may be mistaken, so if anyone notices an error feel free to correct me.

homeskilit

10-22-2010

right now im rocking all mpenn and you really dont notice it much until late game. Once you stack alot of ap and get a void/abyssal you hit hard. Your early-mid game would suffer but if your looking for a strong early game go pure ap if u want a good mid go ap per lev. Just depends when u want to be strong.

HGT Lancelen

10-22-2010

Penetration is always best. Why? because not a lot of in-game items give them.

Voidgolem

10-22-2010

Magic pen.