Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Thresh's Q

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Gwyn

01-23-2013

You can't really toss something very far without getting a little momentum first. Good to know videogames still use logic.

AHeroNamedHawke1

01-23-2013

Quote:
amadian1:
blitz's hook is better, on a shorter cooldown, and much more responsive

I acknowledge that, Im speaking more to its synergy with his W. You can give any jungler the lane presence of Paranoia at level 2. Throw W behind you, Q to enemy, jungler picks up lantern while you're dashing.

MeatballMac

01-23-2013

Quote:
Raithis:
Thresh's Q has a passive component, and it can also work like an Amumu Q. Blitz' grab is only a grab

The passive on his Q is great

Ashenth

01-23-2013

I agree with the OP. He also comes off as a little clunky to me.
But that Q time, ugh. There's also like a .5 second thing after it comes back where you can't move.
I'm sure if I just practice I can figure it all out, but still.. little clunky. >.> Imo anyway.

dMaximus

01-23-2013

I really think his Q is just fine where it is at. Yes it might be harder to land than a Blitz hook but I fine it much more fun. I have made some plays where I threw my lantern over a ledge, landed a hook, then my team clicked the lantern and we got the kill. I find that it makes for much more interesting plays than a simple land and grab.

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

01-23-2013

"Hmm... whose mind shall we snap" -- Thresh Q is all about the psychological battle.

The spell has an inordinately long and easily detectable windup for such a spell (0.5 sec rather than the standard 0.25 or even 0.15 for some missiles, like Morgana's Dark Binding, Elise's Cocoon, or Zyra's Grasping Roots). It's also quite powerful -- we joke internally that the spell's name, Death Sentence, is pretty spot on. How does this play into the psychological terror that Thresh is supposed to manifest?

1. Obviously, the opponent doesn't get the benefit of seeing that long windup if cast from Fog of War/Brush. Any time Thresh isn't visible, the opponent has to live in a state of abject fear. Fortunately for them, Thresh's soul collection mechanic balances this stress by forcing him to come out periodically to play on fairer terms.

2. Death Sentence brings a subtle, but unique mechanic to the league: Thresh doesn't face the exact position toward which he is casting until the end of the cast. As such, the spell is balanced not around opponent reaction time, but around your ability as the Thresh player to anticipate the direction the opponent will try to move in response to the wind up. In turn, the enemy's counterplay is to vary their movement and win the dodging mind game. Try psyching people out by consciously casting it from an initial facing direction slightly off from where you are actually directing the spell.

Fomorian27

Recruiter

01-23-2013

Quote:
CertainlyT:
"Hmm... whose mind shall we snap" -- Thresh Q is all about the psychological battle.

The spell has an inordinately long and easily detectable windup for such a spell (0.5 sec rather than the standard 0.25 or even 0.15 for some missiles, like Morgana's Dark Binding, Elise's Cocoon, or Zyra's Grasping Roots). It's also quite powerful -- we joke internally that the spell's name, Death Sentence, is pretty spot on. How does this play into the psychological terror that Thresh is supposed to manifest?

1. Obviously, the opponent doesn't get the benefit of seeing that long windup if cast from Fog of War/Brush. Any time Thresh isn't visible, the opponent has to live in a state of abject fear. Fortunately for them, Thresh's soul collection mechanic balances this stress by forcing him to come out periodically to play on fairer terms.

2. Death Sentence brings a subtle, but unique mechanic to the league: Thresh doesn't face the exact position toward which he is casting until the end of the cast. As such, the spell is balanced not around opponent reaction time, but around your ability as the Thresh player to anticipate the direction the opponent will try to move in response to the wind up. In turn, the enemy's counterplay is to vary their movement and win the dodging mind game. Try psyching people out by consciously casting it from an initial facing direction slightly off from where you are actually directing the spell.

This is all very interesting. Thresh's q is both a blitz hook and a mumu bandage toss in one, so it is potentially the most gamechanging cc ability in the game. Putting it in the game without significant drawbacks would be a mistake. Morello also mentioned projectiles with slow movement speed provide the greatest opportunities for counterplay/skill differentiation. This makes me wonder though, why was reducing the speed of rocket grab or increasing the windup never on the table, considering the perceived opness of the ability? It would offer more counterplay, and reduce some of the solo q frustration. Or is it to give blitz a niche of his own, different from thresh?

Naliya

01-23-2013

His Q is balanced in power. It's not as good as Blitzcrank's Q, because the rest of Thresh's kit is dominatingly strong for a tank/support. The champion spotlight really does showcase his power extremely well, and I think that if his Q was faster, he'd be way too strong.

BoJaxHorseweapon

01-24-2013

Cast time and windup are fine, maybe increase the missle speed by a small amount but that's it.

DoctorDark

01-24-2013

I'm sure this mostly has to do with people not being used to Thresh yet.
Also after playing against a person who was starting to get real good with him I realized that properly played in a team he is probably the scariest support I've ever seen.