Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

so since beta...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2xHero

Recruiter

10-21-2010

The balance wasn't better, but the community was much better because if you got kicked out of beta, it wasn't easy to get back in.

corals

10-21-2010

I wasn't around for beta, I came in around shen, I kind of dislike this community, its very reactionary. Then again that may just be the internet.

Webling

Recruiter

10-21-2010

I think you are having golden age syndrome where everything seems better in the past. Turret balancing is much better and you can no longer kill any character instantly with a good TF. Slows don't stack like they used to making stuns worthless.

Really this game is getting better everyday, I really miss turret dodging Jax, I loved him.

PacoTferret

10-22-2010

i sort of do.. i think this game is becoming more and more Damage inflated.. and its just becoming a DPS fest.. no strategy at all. Riot seriously needs to pull back on the DPs out puts and lower the Entirety of it.. then lower the armor from items.

Every type of class is becoming a DPS class or a Nuker.. and its just getting stupid now..

Serpentongue

10-22-2010

The only thing I miss about beta is the community.

EequaltoMC2

Recruiter

10-22-2010

Remember the Jax!

Ghettobarney

10-22-2010

The game has improved.

The community... not so much.

SlyGoat

10-22-2010

The power creeping is very uneven and it's made the game less fun IMHO. The game just gets more and more bursty; the only answer to it obviously becomes stacking survivability and CC, because otherwise you just die in half a second. Which leads to the perceived "tanky DPS" metagame, where in actuality every character is stacking HP, so they feel tanky if you're playing an outdated champion who just can't compete with the damage output of newer champions. Older mages, for example, are only picked for utility now, like Annie for her AoE nuke or Morgana for her absurd amount of CC and Black Shield. Neither of them have **** on Garen who deals 800 damage in a single ability and upwards of 1000 (or more; realistically it's rare to deal more than 1000 unmitigated) with his ultimate, with no item investment at all.

colloquial

Emissary of the League

10-22-2010

I think the game play and game balance has much improved since beta, and people that call beta more balanced are kidding themselves.

Here are some red quotes about power creep. Basically Riot says they are aware of the problem and looking towards slightly buffing the older champions mana costs and cooldown, and being more careful about power creep with future champions.

Quote:
Ezreal:

There is a slight amount of power creep in the game (usually concentrating around lower cooldowns and mana costs). These changes usually are not large enough to change the state of the game, thus we aren't too worried about them (and we are updating old champions as we go). On that note, we are also interested in making the game a bit shorter to make it easier to watch as an E-Sport, so this is not entirely a bad thing.

Quote:
Ezreal:

As for power creep, this is something we are very cognizant about. To elaborate, we have found that using more abilities more often = more fun! So many of our newer champions have lower cooldowns and mana costs (thus leading to a slight power increase). Now normally I stay out of balance design, but I worked with Morello to make a short list of tweaks to hopefully bring some of the lower tier champions more in line. This will take time as I believe in making smaller changes over a longer period of time, but I assure you we realize what we are doing.

Quote:
Morello:

1) The problems you point out are exactly what I'm here to fix. I think you're right that they're fun to play, and that's successful, but they're frustrating to fight against (Vlad) and promote power creep (Miss Fortune). Vlad is something I see as a bit of a mistake overall, and I'll be working to get him toned down, though his base concept makes that extremely difficult. MF is a solid design and a fun, basic champion who power creeped ranged carries a bit. Balance can fix that easily, even with some tweaks you'll see in the Lux patch.

2) A cycle like this means you'll see power creep. This is something we can mitigate, but not eliminate. This is why you're going to see many more champion updates applied to the original 40 who need it (be on the lookout for Jax and Teemo in this patch!) at a faster rate. Luckily, our balance has evened out a lot since several months ago, so we can put more resources into fixing outdated champions.

Quote:
Morello:
This is definitely power creep, and something we need to manage. To deal with this currently, we're buffing older champions, but in the future we're looking to slow the creep a little more.

Quote:
Morello:
There's no general goal - I know the popular answer is "buff when we can!", but I disagree with that generally because it causes power creep and makes the game worse over a long period of time.

Basically, I like to find a "mean" of balance and move other champions towards that.

talenrok

10-22-2010

me.