"Anchor" champions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ardeaf

10-21-2010

I'm pretty new to the lol scene, but I'm not new to the genre. I'm curious who you guys think the best anchor champions are? For example an anchor champion would be one that could maintain good control in team fights and in good hands will lead the team to victory by pushing, keeping control of the map, and initiating on the enemy team when they are vulnerable.

In my limited playtime I have decided two of such champions are ashe and anivia. They both have very good pokes, initiation, control, and pushing abilities. do you guys think there are any better heroes?

I wonder this because in dota as well as hon (1800 psr) I was able to solo "carry" with heroes like potm, valkyrie, magmus, clockwork, behemoth, etc. by acting as a team leader of sorts. I often did not get an extremely high kdr, however acting as the anchor allowed my team to win a lot. For those of you who played wow arena, this would be akin to the disc priest in a pmr team setup.

The reason I ask is because the mentality that you have to pick roles your team doesn't have is not enough; there are certain tank heroes that are better at the aforementioned qualities of an anchor than other tank heroes

tl;dr what champions can carry teams to victory effectively (no gimmicks)by asserting control over the entire game (skill is not an issue)?

PsychopathicBear

10-21-2010

So you're looking for a solid hardcarry?

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2010

Galio.

Good control in teamfights? Check.

Pushing? Check. Galio is a beast at farming.

Poking/Harassment. Check. Galio has better poke than any other true tank unless you consider Gragas a tank. Galio can take off half a squishy's health with 2 well-placed spells. He dual-lanes and solo-lanes very well.

Initiating on the enemy team when they are vulnerable. Check. Galio's ult, when done properly, changes the tone of the teamfight, whether they initiate on your, or whether you initiate on them.

Keeping your team alive? How about an extra 90 Armor and Magic Resist.

Ardeaf

10-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychopathicBear View Post
So you're looking for a solid hardcarry?
Hard carries tend to rely on teammates too much. I can't imagine trist leading her team into battle.

Galio sounds and looks good. I heard his ult is sketchy though?

Radamanthys3

10-21-2010

Anivia does seem to be what you want, Morgana too if you can pull her ult effectively

redorkulator

10-21-2010

Its funny cause my friends and I call the worst player on the team the 'Anchor', like draggin' everyone down.

Eph289

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardeaf View Post
Hard carries tend to rely on teammates too much. I can't imagine trist leading her team into battle.

Galio sounds and looks good. I heard his ult is sketchy though?
Sketchy in that it's not 100% guaranteed? Sure. Few things to remember about it:

1) If you break it early/it is broken early, he still blows up and does all that damage. Even if you don't get a full two seconds, you gave your team a full second to unload their spells and damage while forcing however many people you taunted to target you. Not many champs can do that AND inflict the kind of pain during laning/poking that Galio does. You will also be the most farmed tank because you don't rely on Sunfire Capes to do it and can buy more useful items.

2) If people you want to kill are wearing Merc Treads, get really close to them before ulting. Then hit R when they walk out. Congratulations, you took off probably around 500 health with about 100 AP and taunted them for 1.5 seconds.

3) Be careful with Udyr, Xin Zhao, Blitzcrank, and Garen. As long as they don't get to turn on Bear Stance/Three Talon Strike/Power Fist/Decisive Strike before you ult them, they can't turn them on once you do ult on them. If they are outside your ult, turn on those abilities, and walk in, blow up in their face before they hit you. They'll regret it.

4) Most Galios tend to build Banshee's Veil to help avoid such unpleasantries as an Enchanted Crystal Arrow.

Ardeaf

10-21-2010

Thanks for the input on Galio, I'll give him a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redorkulator View Post
Its funny cause my friends and I call the worst player on the team the 'Anchor', like draggin' everyone down.
Yeah that's one interpretation, my friends and I used the term Anchor to refer to someone who could "hold the line" so to speak and allow the team to continue to fight effectively for a long period of time (it came from wow arena). It just carried over with us and me to dota/hon

Temlam

10-21-2010

nidalee might be a good choice.

Her inititation isnt really there, but in exchange her cougar form allows for bypassing tanks and taking out other teams carries.

She heals her allies and give them a large attack speed buff, as she does to herself.

She is very good at pushing in cougar form and eats creep waves, and with the attack speed buff decimates turrets.

her traps allow for some map awareness of the enemy, and in the event she runs out of mana cougar form doesnt need any.

For harrassment she has her inital Q ability, a skillshot but extremely painful especially at long range.

Radamanthys3

10-21-2010

Nidalee is not useless in team fights but not very good either so I can't see her fitting the description

Kayle could work as well, she has the damage to carry and decent support spells to... support.