[Guide] Nasus: An Army of One

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Soobydoo

12-01-2009

One other thing to note on Nasus and this is, Armor pen is his friend, so i would go with Armor pen for red runes. (there are no other color armor pen runes, must make you think they dont want you to stack that to much) Also you got mastery points, the Starks, and your Spirit Fire to all add up for massive hits.

Targhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soobydoo View Post
I really dont like how you talk about the Siphen Strike to be not important. Its like his best ability and one you can really go all out on. Another thing i have a problem with your guide and i already see a lot of bad Nasus players doing is pushing too good early game, don't put so many points into spirit fire, that ability just makes life harder for you. If your just lvling it up for minion kills then you suck, last hit them all with SS if your keep Spirit Fire at lvl 1 you can still one shot them with a SS and Sheen attack, without losing much to minions. Nasus is a beast early if you start racking up those SS damage boosts. I usually take 1/4 hp chuncks or even up to half on squishes with proper lvling of it.
I could have stated my opinion of Siphoning Strike better in the guide. But here's my basic opinion:

- I assume it's obvious that you should upgrade Siphoning Strike as much as possible
- Don't use Siphoning Strike so much at early levels (1-6) that it prevents you from farming with Spirit Fire
- From level 7 onward, you can more safely level Siphoning Strike

I fully understand that the reason for leveling Siphoning Strike is for massive hits on heroes and turrets in the late game. The problem with your build of getting increased Siphon Strike ranks (and skipping Spirit Fire) is that it increases the mana burden of Siphon Strike. In my opinion, Siphon Strike is so important that you cannot afford to get rank 2 until the late game. You don't ever want the increased mana cost to prevent you from being able to use the ability.

Also, I disagree with your claim that it's good to keep Spirit Fire at low rank and score many siphoning strike kills per minion wave. Total rubbish! Realistically you won't be scoring more than 2 siphoning strike kills per wave anyway because of the ability's cooldown. If you really are scoring 3 strike kills per wave, then you are putting out very little damage on the minions and giving your opponent a lot of lane time in which to harass you.

In either case, the best thing to do early is drop a rank 3 Spirit Fire to clear the wave quickly and score two siphoning strike kills. Your remaining minions will charge the enemy's turret, and the opposing hero will have to stay in the lane to gain XP from the deaths of these minions. Since their minions are dead, though, you are free to jungle a pack of Wraiths. Killing those Wraiths will give you more XP and gold than an entire wave of minions, AND you'll get another siphoning strike kill for your troubles.

So I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear. But the whole reason you keep siphoning strike at rank 1 for so long is so you can score more siphoning strike kills. The whole reason you get rank 3 spirit fire is so you can clear waves quickly and get more jungle time for siphoning strike. Yes, you want to build up Siphoning Strike. But you want it to be a powerhouse at level 15. Who cares how much damage it deals at level 7?

Soobydoo

12-03-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targhan View Post
I could have stated my opinion of Siphoning Strike better in the guide. But here's my basic opinion:

- I assume it's obvious that you should upgrade Siphoning Strike as much as possible
- Don't use Siphoning Strike so much at early levels (1-6) that it prevents you from farming with Spirit Fire
- From level 7 onward, you can more safely level Siphoning Strike

I fully understand that the reason for leveling Siphoning Strike is for massive hits on heroes and turrets in the late game. The problem with your build of getting increased Siphon Strike ranks (and skipping Spirit Fire) is that it increases the mana burden of Siphon Strike. In my opinion, Siphon Strike is so important that you cannot afford to get rank 2 until the late game. You don't ever want the increased mana cost to prevent you from being able to use the ability.

Also, I disagree with your claim that it's good to keep Spirit Fire at low rank and score many siphoning strike kills per minion wave. Total rubbish! Realistically you won't be scoring more than 2 siphoning strike kills per wave anyway because of the ability's cooldown. If you really are scoring 3 strike kills per wave, then you are putting out very little damage on the minions and giving your opponent a lot of lane time in which to harass you.

In either case, the best thing to do early is drop a rank 3 Spirit Fire to clear the wave quickly and score two siphoning strike kills. Your remaining minions will charge the enemy's turret, and the opposing hero will have to stay in the lane to gain XP from the deaths of these minions. Since their minions are dead, though, you are free to jungle a pack of Wraiths. Killing those Wraiths will give you more XP and gold than an entire wave of minions, AND you'll get another siphoning strike kill for your troubles.

So I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear. But the whole reason you keep siphoning strike at rank 1 for so long is so you can score more siphoning strike kills. The whole reason you get rank 3 spirit fire is so you can clear waves quickly and get more jungle time for siphoning strike. Yes, you want to build up Siphoning Strike. But you want it to be a powerhouse at level 15. Who cares how much damage it deals at level 7?
Ok you speak of wasting so much mana on Siphon Strike, but in actuallity you waste a lot more mana a lot quicker spamming Spirit Fire on like every minion way. Also you talk about how if you take your time farming with Siphon Strike early game that you gives your opponite a lot of harrasing time, this however is not so true either. If you are taking your time not even auto attacking the minions and just wait for you own minions to get them down like 3/4ths of the hp and just smack them with your SS and wait for your next target. You wont be harrased to much either due to you being very intimidating and quikly heal their harras damage with a simple SS to their face or to a close minion. Also by lvling your SS up first it does reduce the CD on it so you can spam it more often. Another thing when you talk about you start jungling you only SS one of the wraths, why not SS all 4 of them and get an extra 8 damage instead of 2? I find working them all down and timing it right so you last SS hit all of them to be way more beniffical. Spirit Fire is not his best ability its only good to harras champions off your minions, pushing late game, and obviously fights. My last note is by lvling the SS up early it has a larger impact then later lvling and you will be a power house at lvl 7 and can accomplish making them affriad of you since you hit them for about half their hp, that would make anyone think again before coming in to last hit a minion when you running around in there. I will leave off with, i guess their are many ways to play any champion, i just like god like hits on my opponets over pushing early game.

PrawnWonton

12-08-2009

Call me crazy, but maxing Spirit Fire ASAP is definitely the way to go.

Why? Because with max Spirit Fire you make mad duckets. You are a farming god. You will out level and out earn everyone else by a LONG shot. Why putz around trying to Siphon Strike every single minion? Not gonna happen. Spirit Fire, Siphon Strike a creep before they die, that wave is done. Next wave, rinse and repeat. When you are lvl 18 long before everyone else, and have gold coming out of every orifice, you will have plenty much time to farm Siphon Strike indefinitely.

Plus, it isn't like you aren't farming Siphon Strike hits every wave anyways. I'd be willing to bet that maxing Spirit Fire first puts you WAY ahead damage-wise, too, simply because of levels and gear.

Only other heroes I can think of off the top of my head that can push a lane so fast would be Singed and late game Karthus. I'm sure there are others, but Nasus can clear whole waves VERY early on giving him a large advantage over everyone else on the map.

Plus, Spirit Fire will keep pressure on their towers indefinitely. Even ranged heroes will never be able to get more than a few feet away from their turret. The only killing blows they are ever going to get are the tower leftovers. Which means they will be further gimped in the xp and golds department.

In order of importance, in my opinion: Ultimate > Spirit Fire > Wither > Siphon Strikes.

You level SO fast with Nasus if you pump Spirit Fire first, it is ridiculous. Not to mention lvl 5 Spirit Fire in a team fight is infinitely better than a lvl 5 Siphon Strike. Armor reduction = your whole team has increased damage.

I dunno, just my 2 cents.

Xetian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2009

I've played Nassus for many games. I have no idea what my ELO is, but I've been told by a TF buddy that it is upper mid-lower high based on the people we end up playing against. My first skill is always wither if we dragon (armor pen is not greater than team fight win) or spirit fire if not (because people are afraid of the graphic even though the damage is terrible). I then get SS to level 3 and if playing ranged max SF, if melee max wither. The increased base damage on the SS makes last hits MUCH easier to land without 1. Partner ninjaing or 2. Waiting too long and minions killing. Mana isn't an issue for nassus if you rune yellows as mana regen per level, because with health I believe at 18 it totals less than 200 hp... So, with faster cooldown and higher damage you can spam to heart's content, level 'dat **** up, and 2 shot that cocky twitch.

EDIT: Grammar, I typed this while dead during a 60 minute game.

redorkulator

02-26-2010

Just wanted to validate a few things here, people are scared of SF, which is kinda funny, wither is almost always my second, making harrassing early dangerous for them. I feel squishy too and so far have ben building Warmogs alot. Otherwise later game Nasus is fun.

Zeero

02-26-2010

I just wanted to agree with some of what is said in this guide:

If you are planning on soloing mid you WILL need to max SF first. You will almost always be against some type of ranged carry and SF is your only way to keep them at bay and to be honest it does the job VERY well. I can easily keep an ashe or corki from farming effectively with SF alone and often times have plenty of opportunity to lvl up my SS as well.

dllninja

02-26-2010

chalice + SF in early levels = win .. you can harass them constantly and get some heavy gold too.. when you get wither and drop a SF + exaust + another stunner = double win

Fourth22

02-26-2010

I definitely use spirit fire and siphoning differently. Though I do start with spirit fire. I can usually last hit all the minions without relying on spirit fire for the kills. The -ve armor is really what I use it for. I throw it up to keep enemy champions back. With the -20 armor the minion attacks can quickly drop a weaker champion to half and any damage they deal to me I can heal quicker due to the lower armor of minions. Also if laning with a ranged physical they don't want to step near it even at with 1 point in it due to how quickly they can be taken down before lvl 6. The -ve armor has a high start but a low growth so it isn't a high priority to level especially with the mana increase.

roninsm

02-26-2010

Not a bad guide, but it has a lot of things I disagree with as a Nasus player myself.

1. You said his abilities must be used sparingly due to mana problems. This is simply not true. Nasus' strength in laning lies in his ability to spam SF constantly. There are two ways to solve his mana problems. Either get mana regen runes (Messiah recommends this in his guide) or start with a meki pendant and build into chalice. I use the latter since I haven't been able to afford the regen runes yet.

The truth to this statement is that Wither must be used only for emergencies during laning, since it eats through your mana very fast.

2. You said he is dependant on items to improve survivability. I have to disagree. Nasus' main tanking ability stems from his ult, so he can afford to spend his gold on team based items (like Aegis of the Legion). I do usually find it necessary to get a banshees veil to avoid being stunned right away though. Aegis + Banshees will make you as tanky as you need to be in most games.

3. Leaving the last level of SF for the end makes no sense. SF wins teamfights with it's armor reduction ability, and lets you push lanes very fast. Max it ASAP, and see 1 for mana issues.

4. Why do you say move speed is important? I don't see any real need for it on nasus. Merc treads give you enough to get by, and if you choose to run teleport you should be more than fine.

5. Why the vamp scepter? It's perfectly possible to solo dragon without it at lvl6. Just use your ult. It seems like a waste of gold and an item slot unless you were planning on making starks anyways.

6. Glacial shroud is a rather unremarkable item by itself. Unless your team needs a Frozen Heart, Aegis or starks would be better to buy.

7. Movement speed quints is just fail. Just about anything else would work better. I would recommend mana regen (if you don't want to buy chalice), or armor/MR.

8. Teleport/Cleanse is good, but I wouldn't call it necessary. Exhaust and rally are also good choices for nasus.

9. Mid lane is ok for nasus, but I see it as a bit of a waste. Nasus will farm very well in any lane, so you are better off giving the solo gold to a carry who would have a harder time farming in a dual lane.

10. Attack speed also isn't that useful of a stat on Nasus. The bulk of your damage is burst from SS + sheen proc, so fitting in another attack or two between sheen procs won't increase your DPS significantly.

I wrote a Nasus guide myself if you want to check it out. You may be able to pick up a tip or two since it has an extensive section on general gameplay.