Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

should i try out DOTA 2?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

hitmandead

01-21-2013

I havn't been bothered to download dota 2 after all tf2 took me a whole day.

Unfortunately Im sick of playing with excessive ping (this lowers my performance with characters like Ezreal) Dota 2 has an Australian server up though and lol doesn't. I'm not even sure will riot create one anymore (they promised in 2011 i think)

Anyway lol has 175-999 for me and i'm thinking of playing a game which will give me a ping of less than 100. Should I get dota 2? I've heard that both games are similar but also different. What does that mean?

thanks guys

Verxl

01-21-2013

They're very different for games in the same genre, but they each have things that draw people to one or the other. Personally, I enjoy League significantly more than DotA 2, but a big part of that is a matter of familiarity and having trouble getting over the difference in art (that champs seem significantly less distinct in DotA compared to League, mostly). It's sometimes fun to try something different every once in a while.

If you'd like, I could give you a free pass to play. Pretty much everyone in the DotA 2 beta right now has more passes than they can give out.

AdmiralAardvark

01-21-2013

DotA 2 is not nearly as much fun to play by yourself as LoL is. However, when playing with a group of friends, DotA 2 is amazing, so much more crazy stuff happens and you can yell about it in Skype.

costas84

01-21-2013

LoL is Fun

Dota 2 is competitive

Make your choice

AdmiralAardvark

01-21-2013

Quote:
costas84:
LoL is Fun

Dota 2 is competitive

Make your choice

I find the inverse to be true. In LoL, especially in solo queue, people will rage at you for picking anything but a top tier standard champion. In DotA 2, you can hard random and nobody says anything about it as long as you dont feed miserably.

PhantomBanana

01-21-2013

Quote:
costas84:
LoL is Fun

Dota 2 is competitive

Make your choice

Not sure these are mutually exclusive. I'd say both games are fun and competitive, but take different approaches to design, art, and balance. Personal preference really. I enjoy playing both depending on my mood.

Narshen

01-21-2013

Try both.

See which one you like more.

Never knock anything without trying it first.

BiggerFish

01-21-2013

Do you hate ragers and trolls? You're going to absolutely looooove the Dota community's policy on new players.

costas84

01-21-2013

Lemme put it this way:

LoL is more Fun in terms of gameplay and has less frustrations.

DotA 2 has bigger punishment for mistakes, longer stuns, and etc...

You get the picture, thats why i said LoL is fun and Dota 2 Is competitive.

Edit: To you downvoting people, play dota before downvoting, what i say is completely true from years of playing both games, DotA 1 included in those years.

Edit 2: Dota 2 is still in beta, i said competitive in terms of GAMEPLAY, not esports, and bigger punishment for mistakes and longer stuns arent faults of Dota 2, they are parts of the game, each game is different.

Raabemaster

01-21-2013

I play both consistently. There is no reason to choose just play whichever one you want to at the time. I play League more seriously but more epic things tend to happen when I play Dota