Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blazze3

01-25-2013

hope this work too!! sounds good

sepetaiya

01-25-2013

this is AWESOME.

<3 you Lyte. if i was red i would take baron avatar too <3<3<3 (warning: slight gayness detected, thats how good this matchmaking change is)

Zblugg

01-25-2013

Played a Normal yesterday, and it seemed to me that teams were pretty even in strength.

I'd say so far it's a worthwhile change!

(Had it not been for that Backdoor Blitz of DOOM, we were actually winning!)

Romdeau

01-25-2013

Really think you guys dropped the ball on this one, I normally have to sit in queue for upwards of 5-7 minutes now in normal, and let's hope nobody dodges after that. It used to take no more than 2 minutes.

To me, the "perception" of equal experience does not matter to me. If 2 players are equally skilled, match them up-doesn't matter if it's 200 wins or 2000 wins.

Ranked solo queue seems unchanged to me...I almost can't stand playing normal draft anymore though now.

iatre

01-25-2013

Quote:
xXCrazyBarksXx:
i was talking about normal queues

yay first red reply

Yeah, so was he. You have a normal queue elo.

SqueezeMeGently

01-25-2013

Matchmaking is as bad or worse than ever. That's my feedback. You need to do less tinkering and overhaul the game so I can get less trolls.

Give me the option to have a game where no one in it has ever been banned. I will happily sit in a ten minute que for that. I'm tired of getting trolled at and raged on, because frankly it frustrates me to the point of typing something dumb.

Fongletto

01-25-2013

Matchmaking is taking forever. Takes 2-3 mins now instead of like 15-30 seconds.

JadothBloodreign

01-25-2013

I queue with my cousin who's level 10 or so... there's a 1400-ranked player in this game. He's got 759 wins.

Sigh.

Nortikdos

01-25-2013

I never post on these forums, but I feel pretty strongly about this. There are possible theoretical benefits of the new matchmaking system, and statistically speaking, my small experience means nothing. However, since I was interested in this new matchmaking, I thought I would give some feedback. I'm around 1500 ELO and play almost entirely ranked solo queue.

First, an extra 30 secs to a minute of queue time is extremely terrible. If you think about how many fewer games are getting played per day because of this extra queue time, it's really unreasonable. Even for the individual player, this extra waiting time propagates quickly:

Enter queue, extra minute. Someone declines, extra 30 seconds, someone doesn't respond, extra 30 seconds, get into a game, someone dodges at the last minute (so 5 minutes of banning/choosing wasted), enter queue again... So individually, it seems to add on a considerable amount of time just to my personal time; if this is taken into account over all players, this results in a SIGNIFICANT decrease in the number of games played per day. So, it had better result in a significant increase in the quality of games...

Unfortunately, I have experienced the opposite. Most of my games have felt extremely one sided. Also, I'm not sure why, but there have been large ELO differences. I expect average ELO, after a match, to have a difference of 20-30 (since winners get 10-15, losers lose that much). Many, many games now have an average ELO difference of 50-80 (post match). I almost feel like how I play has little impact because my team is generally so much better or so much worse -- all lanes are snowballing in one team's direction. This has had the positive benefit of games being much shorter, but I doubt this is how you want to offset the average queue time problem.

EDIT: It seems like today, matchmaking is reverted.... games are more competitive, wait times are shorter.... just a guess though since I don't really know.

Guges

01-25-2013

Nortikdos,

I agree something is up...and off about this.

Since the changes, I've noticed that teams seem more 1 sided. Now I think they are trying to pair correctly but after a few losses last night...I've noticed a trend.

It seems like what occurs (at least in my games) is that a person that had a high elo/wins ends up going against a low win player in a key spot...usually top or mid. Happened twice last night and feeds that guy and it just snow balls. So lets say they have a 1K wins, 800 wins, 600 wins, 500 wins, 150 wins...and you have the same. Our 150 win player ends up going mid. Their 1K player went mid. Their 150 player ended up being support. Another game it our 150 went top and their 1K player was top. Snowballed.

I think that is the issue.

Unlike in real sports where you put your best player on their best player in skill, you can't figure that out before hand right now...so I think the matchmaking system needs to possibly be 're-tuned' because at least the games I've played with my group of 3-4 have been much worse the last week and it seems to be that the people we pick up have low wins and end up against their high win/elo player.

You'd never let that occur in real sports...letting your worse skilled player go against their best.