Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CaptainAMorgan

01-18-2013

30 second increase just for that?

Honestly this difference makes a bit of sense, but it seems to me you are running inefficiently.

I also want to know why this was prioritized over the slew of other huge problems with MM?

This seems totally pointless, and will hardly fix Quality of gameplay overall.

Can you explain the logic behind this?

In-fact, so far all my matches have been totally unfair.

Just went 39-6-14 with the new and "improved" MM. It wasn't fair to the people I was playing with at all.

mwarme

01-18-2013

I really hope that this works.

One question, how do you plan to address the issue of clearly imbalanced games:

I had one a week or two ago, where the average number of games won was pretty close, but the range was huge--There was a person duoing with a friend who was brand new to support, so we had a 1400 ish player with a 900 ish elo player duo qued, 1400 player had like 1k wins, everyone else on our team had about 500-700 wins, but this new player had like 50 non-bot games played ever. Needless to say, despite our team having a slightly higher elo average than the other team, we lost this ranked match because the 900 elo player with no games was utterly destroyed by the other team. He legitimately tried and took advice and was positive, but he had far less understanding of the game than the equivalent super-low elo player on the other team.

kouish

01-18-2013

This could be an issue with people who level up to 30 in bot games. Do you think you might change things to make it harder or even impossible to level up to 30 from bot games?

failmage

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Currently, we simply search for team compositions that average a similar number of wins to face you.
So they are just random people with similar number of wins or does it search for other premade groups with a similar number?

Queuing by myself, I don't really see much different in amount of time to find a game, however it took much longer when I played with a group of friends. The number of wins don't really make much difference with the skill level of the people I am matched with/against.

Delta Sniper

01-18-2013

Does this override you normal que elo?

so in short if i have say 30 Wins but my normal elo is 1500 because this is my second account will it match me with people who also have 30 wins but their normal elo is 800 because they are new?

Economicz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Since this change I've absolutely stomped the enemy team and hard carried every game
so far I love it

Jewels Winfield

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Yes, the main reason we are testing this feature is because of data suggesting that Number of Wins makes a meaningful difference especially when it's players with lower number of wins. For example, a player with 10 wins versus a player with 100 wins is a meaningful difference; however, a player with 1000 wins versus a player with 5000 wins isn't that different.
I like that the importance of the differential starts to scale back as numbers increase. Well thought out..

I think it's a good system. But..am I to assume the system works like this?

1. Match with similar ELO
2. TRY to match with similar win counts within that ELO range

The Awed One

01-18-2013

Wins really don't mean much if a large amount of them are on a different map than the one you're queued on, and/or you have just as many or more losses.

CaptainAMorgan

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Economicz View Post
Since this change I've absolutely stomped the enemy team and hard carried every game
so far I love it
LoL, dem winrates vs actual wins...

Leib Olmai

01-18-2013

I'm curious about some situation :

-A Rioters who have 5 wins and decide to queue, will it only take 30 second more ?
-A player that have 3000-4000+ wins, which is rare to find, are you going to try to queue him with someone who is near his win, then reduce the number of win over time or just allow any number of win to get queue with him ?
-What about someone with 2000 win who duo-queue with someone with 100 win ? Do you do try to find people in the middle ? How does it work ?