Riven nerf became a buff

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Grizzlier

01-17-2013

The riven nerf made a lot of sense to me, finally her super sustain combined with ridiculpus harrass/bully potential could be curved but at the same time that you finally balanced her yo u just kept her the same in actuality and really buffed her. Buffing her shield at low level makes 0 sense, now she may not have the regen she used to but now she won't need it because she'll absorb w/e damage you can be blessed enough to deal to her aftee getting chopped in half twelve times from her infinite harrass.

So her relative lane presence stays the same when you feign that you balanced it and now she has a more powerful late game shield which I equate to a buff. Sure her ult isnt up when she comes back to lane anymore but it shouldnt have been in the first place and it wont matter late game as she will have it up for every major fight and her regen surely wont matter late game.

I wouldnt even mind her shield being better late game, maybe it needed to be idk if it was falling off at that point, but please revert the early levels of it back or even nerf them because as it stands she's still invinsible in lane except against the only other top lane who is invincible with infinite harrass and regen/tankiness garen (who needs a nerf similar to riven's btw). (Excuse my missing apostrophes I'm typing this on a phone).

adc

01-17-2013

They literally buffed her shield by TEN POINTS. Ten points. That's a 5% increase, roughly. Her shield wasn't that big a buff at all, and she's ALWAYS had a nasty late game shield because she builds so much damage.

And her lane presence is NOT the same. Her ult has a much longer cooldown now, so if she uses it and shoves you out of lane, it won't be up next time you go to lane and you have some time before it is.

Snipawolfe

01-17-2013

^AD Bottom is correct. The shield buff is essentially worthless. Maybe they should have given it better scaling or something instead. The fact that her ultimate won't be down every time she trades/engages hard is a big deal as well.

All in all, I feel that the nerfs were needed, but maybe they were a bit far. I'm not too sure. I haven't played any Riven since the patch.

DarkUltralisk

01-17-2013

It forces the Riven to use it much more meaning good player good and a bad player sucks. Besides that Fizz has somthing simlar that blocks all damage if he times it right is that op? Sure she is cooldown based but her abilites aren't that powerful trade off. She can beat you early game but if you play passive then pressure when your champ is strong you'll crush.

Grizzlier

01-17-2013

The cd on her ult has been increased only by 35 seconds. It was already short enough that after riven killed someone she could back grab items and walk back and by the time the lane opponent was back it'd be up again. Now the only thing is that when she gets back she just has to keep dominating with her regular abilities instead of insta-wrecking and snowballing.

Her shield keeps retaliation off so well and it essentially makes her mindless. People might say "but oh wasting it means she lacks an escape tool and it has a cooldown to it" and my retort is...so? If she blows all of her moves into an enemy and gets caught too far out and can't escape a gank she deserves to get ganked hard because any other champion that blows all their moves like that would as well and second the cd on it is hardly anything and once she uses it to absorb all harrass off of her her lane opponent has blow all his damage cds making it impossible to get damage on her while her defenses are down to make use of the nerf they gave her. Currently it's hard enough to catch that time when her defenses are down, when she can't absorb the brunt of your damage and retaliate and trade just as hard if not harder most of the time and come out on top and then she just wades around for a while and she comes out healthy. Now that they finally made it that she just can't wait a while and have ridiculous longevity in lane they just said "hey now let's make it so they can't get any damage off of her now that we made it so that the damage will actually stick, and let's buff it late game too!".

What? I just don't understand this logic. You might say it is trivial but 5% more damage absorbed is quite a bit, it's the difference between taking down a whole bar or 2 of health. There's currently no great counter to riven laning besides the other person who has no real counter and is basically the original of the riven technique of infinite harrass, tanking, and infinite sustain--garen, who I'm annoyed by because he didn't receive a similar treatment as riven this patch.
TL;DR: Why would you finally balance riven's lane presence only to make it so it stays relatively the same and benefits her late game?

adc

01-17-2013

Jesus christ, people are so hard to please.

They nerfed Riven's ult by 35 seconds. That's over half a minute.

They added 10 to her shield. That's 1/7th of your autoattack damage for ONE autoattack. A caster minion does that much damage If that changes the fight, it was a silly fight to go into anyway.

She's a strong lane hero. She's MEANT to be. But she was a bit over the top, and snowballed easily every game with a competent player. Now she won't be able to just kill you every time you get back to lane.

I Love Slurpees

01-17-2013

Rivens op until she lanes against Trynamere and gets hard countered.

gnomerman

01-17-2013

In my opinion Riven has only one issue and always will have this issue unless she is reworked, this is that she gets to be tanky from building damage. This to me is insane i have never understood why this has been allowed to continue. Garen has to at least make some kind of choice between tackiness or damage, Garen may be a poor example cause he is a very good champ. I just think that riven is one of the only champions that builds glass cannon and is substantially harder to kill from it.

adc

01-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomerman View Post
In my opinion Riven has only one issue and always will have this issue unless she is reworked, this is that she gets to be tanky from building damage. This to me is insane i have never understood why this has been allowed to continue. Garen has to at least make some kind of choice between tackiness or damage, Garen may be a poor example cause he is a very good champ. I just think that riven is one of the only champions that builds glass cannon and is substantially harder to kill from it.
Are you kidding me? Garen is always tacky.

gnomerman

01-17-2013

Ok true but i said he may be a bad example, my point is riven almost doesn't even need to choose between tanky or glass cannon.

1.0 ad ratio on a shield that is actually decent to begin with, with a stupid short CD.

That is all i am saying.