[Build & Guide] EVELYNN - ATTACK DAMAGE is BETTER THAN ABILITY FAIL.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

V3N0M92

10-20-2010

Evelynn – The Widowmaker

Hello everyone. I've been playing Evelynn for quite a long time now and I've witnessed many different Evelynn builds and guides. I personally have over 400 wins with her and believe me, I've seen and read many types of builds so there is nothing new to me. Pretty much everyone has one of these champions which they are naturally good with, eve is one of mine. Ever since I started playing this game eve has grabbed my eve and I've mastered her skills, abilities and builds.

In this post I'm going to compare my build, AD eve, which I personally created over time and have found to be the best working build all round. I have tried many different builds, items, and tried them in almost every possible situation and I know their weaknesses. I am not going to pull out some mathematical equations and calculations of every situation, but instead state some very simple questions and let you answer them to make up your mind. Here are some of the features that the build has over the ability power, and sunfire build.

My Attack damage Evelynn:

Enhanced Farming (Farming is probably one of the most important things after kills and can sometimes decide the tide of battles. Many people forget about farms and concentrate on kills when they don’t realise that 1 minion is 20g, and 15 minons are 350g (1 kill), so someone with a score of 1-0-0 (0) and 0-0-0 (15) are the same)

Better Team Contribution ( The health bonus you have, in combination with the speed and slow effects, will make sure you can run in and out of battes)

Better Bate – ( With the speed you get from items and in combination with the ultimate you can bate a lot in team battles, you don’t always have to fight 100% of the time, as long as you bate and the enemy team hesitates, you teammates will do the job and kill them all, and if they choose to ignore you bate then you can jump in and own them all.)

My build is as Follows:

1. First buy SAPPHIRE CRYSTAL (+200 mana) so you have enough mana to farm and harass. Many people buy Amplifying tome fist for 20 ability and that’s completely wrong because you’ll only get +10 damage from spells and If you don’t have the mana, then you won’t do the damage., 2 Health potions to keep you going.

2. IMPORTANT The second you have money for SHEEN go to the shop, buy it and start ganking. Kill people in your lane, if they buy ward, go to middle lane, if they buy ward then go top lane. Careful not to overdo it though. Make sure you don’t gank too much so you lose level, xp and farms.

3. Buy BOOTS OF SPEED

4. OPTIONAL. – Make SWORD OF THE OCCULT straight away if you feel confident.

5. If you haven’t bought long sword then buy 2 LONG SWORD. If you have then buy 1
LONG SWORD.
This damage will boost your nuke from sheen and ill help you get kills much easier.

6. Make boots of speed into BERSERKER BOOTS to help for gank and do more damage.

7. Using one of the Long swords make PHAGE

8. Buy ZEAL and fuse TRINITY FORCE. – This is the end of the first build. You can do heavy damage with nuke and you have reasonable speed to catch people, kill people , and tower dive is necessary.

9. OPTIONAL. – IF you haven’t made SWORD OF THE OCCULT previously after sheen. Then make it now. If your game is still going bad and you won’t get any stacks then make it after infinity edge.

10. Buy VAMPIRIC SCEPTER to help you last longer and so you don’t have to go back too often.

11. At this stage you can make INFINITY EDGE to do mass damage and hopefully get those quadra-penta kills. There is no specific order, just make it.

12. OPTIONAL– Things should be going well so make SWORD OF THE OCCULT, if not then make BANSHEES VAIL so people can’t stun you and any incoming magical damage can be reduced.

You can alter this build a little bit but ALWAYS build BERSERKER BOOTS AND TRINITY FORCE and then after depending on the situation you can choose to build sword of the occult or infinity edge. After Infinity edge its really the end of the build, there is no fixed build what you should get after that because that will probably be at least 30-40 mins into the game and it might be near ending. If you do get a chance to build up after infinity edge then I strongly recommend going for Banshees vail.

Runes:

14% Critical chance - (Mark and Quintessence)
28 mana per 5 seconds @ level 18 (Seals and Glyphs)

14 chance to critical will help in the killing of heroes and will be really good for the nuke. In combination with the sheen and critical strike you can do almost as much nuke damage as an ap build would.

28 mana regeneration at level at level 18 will help in the farming of minions and being able to use your spells, stealths, nukes more often. At level 1 you will have about 8-10mana/5s and by level 6 you will have around 15-20 mana/s and at level 18 you should have something like 35/45mana/5s

Q & A:

Why is attack damage BETTER than ability power build?

Well the main reason why attack damage is better than ability power is that you can deal more consistent damage over a period of time on a target. For a build to be better you have to take a few things into consideration which are you Enemies, the situation/scenario, and how long a team fight will last.

Ability power will ALWAYS have better nuke than Attack damage, however you have to ask yourself the question, is that damage really used properly in a team fight. If we take a scenario of 300 ability power Evelynn in a team fight, then if you go with an AP eve you will do ravage(E)(320+300) + spike (Q)(80+60) which hits by chance and infact what you will be doing is COMPLETELY RELYING ON ONE SPELL, which doesn’t even scale that good, and on a second spell that has a 50/50 chance it which might not hit to deal the rest of the damage. Well, im sorry but ANY hero that COMPLETELY relies on one spell to get the kill is a complete fail, unless it has some 1:5 scaling ratio, and even then its a complete risk.

The two builds go something like this: - (Rough calculations, focusing more on logic and team contribution)

If we have a 400 ability power eve against a 200 dps eve. Ability power eve will do 1000 damage in 1 second and 1500 damage in 5 seconds. Attack damage eve will do 700dmg in 1 second and 2000-3000 damage over 5 seconds and since a team fight doesn’t last one second but tends to last something like 10-20 seconds, then there is no reason to go for ap eve. Attack damage will always be a better contribution because you can deal your normal damage, use your dot damage, and then wait for the other spell, whereas AP eve completely relies on the dot to do the damage and and has to wait for the other cool downs which it heavily relies on.

What advantages does ability power eve have?

Well ability power eve has only one advantage and that is if you are playing Evelynn vs Evelynn, however if you play AD vs and Evelynn and you build something like banshees vail and then trinity force, then you will probably end up winning because if you can take the nuke damage from her, then you can do the damage and hopefully kill her.

Sunfire Eve, What’s up with that?

Well let me just say a few things about the sunfire eve because I haven’t played it. First of all why would you want to go sunfire? Yes, it does a dot damage but the whole idea of Evelynn is a damage hero. Some people tell me you can be more contribution to the team rather than ability power which is just hit n run. Well all I need to say to that is the following;. As a stealth champion you will targeted around 80% with magical spells and 20% melee hits because you are a squishy and people want to take you down in 1 hit and then if you aren’t dead then, then they finish you off with normal attacks. Building a sunfire does nothing about that fact, since it just stacks health and armour, unnecessary armour. Even if you are able to take a blow because of the health you have, thats not gonna change the fact that you are going to die because the hits they will give you are magical and not physical.

I will keep an eye on the replies to see how people gave gone about it and I will hopefully add some more things to the Q&A section.

Shin˘by

10-20-2010

sorry I gave up reading half way through.. this is just wrong... you're job as eve is being an assassin/nuker... even if team fights, you run in, rape their carry, then run out.. you don't stay to fight, you will die (unless ofc you're going sunfire eve, which is way different obv.).. you dont need consistant damage... you never stay on a target for more then a few seconds (enough to stun, ravage, 1-2 sheen/lb procs, maybe a DFG shot).. your target should be dead after your initial nuke, then you run away and hide... anyone that builds AD eve is just bad, im sorry

Radamanthys3

10-20-2010

You only mentioned how you handle Oracle's early to near mid game, which is switch lanes, but what do you do when team fights begin?

I'm sure we all know its not as easy as "killing the dood with oracle's" most of the time.

V3N0M92

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin˘by View Post
sorry I gave up reading half way through.. this is just wrong... you're job as eve is being an assassin/nuker... even if team fights, you run in, rape their carry, then run out.. you don't stay to fight, you will die (unless ofc you're going sunfire eve, which is way different obv.).. you dont need consistant damage... you never stay on a target for more then a few seconds (enough to stun, ravage, 1-2 sheen/lb procs, maybe a DFG shot).. your target should be dead after your initial nuke, then you run away and hide... anyone that builds AD eve is just bad, im sorry
Yes, eve is an assasin/nuker, however your job is to also help the team, and by running back and forward without a reason is no way to go about it in team fights. You need to have a balanced hero which will have a reasonable nuke and if you can fight after the nuke then you are welcome to get the kill. If that was with AP then you cant do that. You are stuck with your rubbish cooldown and haveing to compeltely rely on one spell and on your teammates to finish him off because you simply dont have the power. How much damage are you going to do? 800dmg? and you think with that you will do sufficient work in a team fight to win the tide of the batte? You are completely wrong, in fact, that wont even be enough to take out the carry, let alone someone with oracle. You need to be there pretty much the whole time and land every shot you can. Im not saying you need to fight like a normal person, im saying you need to inflict as much damage as you can. Obviously in a team fight you dont just stand there and fight like a normal person after your stealth breaks, you run back and forward to bate, and when you do go back to fight you can do proper damage without and hesitation.

Every person i have recommended this build to has actually told me and confirmed that this build is MUCH better than a normal AP build. Try it for yourself and you will actually see the difference. This build allows you to be much more flexible and versitile, especially at the beginning when you can farm pretty well, probably better than most heroes. And like i said, if you read it and try it you will see the difference.

V3N0M92

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radamanthys3 View Post
You only mentioned how you handle Oracle's early to near mid game, which is switch lanes, but what do you do when team fights begin?

I'm sure we all know its not as easy as "killing the dood with oracle's" most of the time.
Well, obviously its easier said than done when it comes to killing oracles. This build is also better with managing people with oracles due to the speed, slow and a bit of additional health.

At the beggining of the game you will find it a bit hard, just as a normal eve would regardless of the build, but later on you will be able to inflict a lot more damage and probably completely solo the enemy hero. When a trinity force is build and you get a chance to solo someone 1v1, you will do your ultimate, stun them, ravage, and start doing your dot. In addition to that with this build you are GAURANTEED to have them slowed because you would have hit them 4-5 times in the duration of the stun. So what happens at the end?. you basically stun them, slow them and they cant run anywhere, and on top of that you have +35% movement speed increase from your ultiamte so you are literaly sitting on their back hitting them like crazy.

I have been so fed with this build (not because of noobs or anything) that i have managed to solo tanks at a later stage. And i have also managed to get quite a few penta kills, now where do you see an eve getting more than a double/ tripple kill? You wont. Simply because you dont have the required spells and damage to do that. You break out of stealth and do ur ravage and all ur let is with one dot which doesnt always hit, not to mention that it doesnt even scale that good either.

Chingmeister

10-20-2010

Sunfire Eve (IMO) was the only viable Eve build at higher level play, but the last patch kinda nerfed it hard (less healing on assists/kills).

With 4 sunfires and a FoN you have 4k hp. A kill or assist used to restore 1k hp. The Armor/MR makes that 1k hp last until the next kill...for another 1k hp...Eve used to be the best self-healing tank in the game...capable of self-healing 5k hp in a team fight Ace...this was nerfed probably to help 'Assasin-Eve' or to be more in line with Swain and Taric ult healing...Somehow Riot didn't think a 9k hp Eve was balanced or something...go figure...lolol

Sunfires give you automatic assists off of everyone due to aura damage...

It also forces the other team to buy an oracles in every single lane to prevent you from sitting on top of them in stealth. Always fun times There are a lot of times you can't gank a full hp lane...sitting on top of them in stealth with a sunfire means they have to retreat to their tower and can't get any xp or farm any gold unless they buy a ward or oracles . Hilarious fun.

Eve can't gank full hp targets very well due to a lack of a built-in snare and survivability, and with Sona/Garen in basically every game, as well as mostly tanky-champions, two out of three lanes are pretty much all full hp targets...

Stacked sunfire capes are also pretty much a requirement in order to survive closing in on a team with oracles.

It also allowed you to sit in stealth doing damage and save your stun for a channelled ult (Eg...Kat).

It also allows you to tower dive with impunity...as you have thousands of hp and hundreds of armor...you used to be able to tower dive to heal yourself...but that got kinda nerfed...

Basically, Sunfire Eve has a different set of play mechanics and play list and is played and acts like an entirely different champion. You are a gold draining, exp lane denying, ult-interrupting, self-healing tank...

They problem with balancing Eve is that any long-term survivability they give Eve makes tank-Eve OP (9k hp Tank-Eve was hilarity). Although Oracles counter 'Assasin-Eve', you don't really have to buy them since you can just focus Assasin-Eve as she drops stealth and blow her up in seconds...

If they don't give Eve survivability and make her an assasin she will instantly explode every team fight. (Melee Teemo).

IMO to make Eve an assasin what Eve really needs is burst survivability when coming out of stealth (80% damage reduction for 3-5 seconds by rank) although AoE stun will greatly help, and to refresh and have instant-stealth after a kill or assist (10 second cooldown or something).

Currently you need both flash + ghost up to assasinate someone as Eve and have a chance to live to tell the tale in a group fight. This means you can't jungle since you don't have smite and typically get wrecked laning...

All this altering her assist/kill healing seems to only alter her long-term survivability...and long term survivability kinda means you need tank gear to live long-term to take advantage of it.

For the greater good of the game though, I still say make Eve an assasin instead of a tank. We have enough tanks...make sunfires and stealth-bombs break stealth and Tank-Eve will be gone...but Eve will be able to be balanced....

AoE damage and killing people while stealthed doesn't really fit into the 'fun' part of the game and isn't very popular anyway...if Eve popularity says anything...

I have done Tri-Force Eve, and the problem I keep running across are Sona/Ashe type teams that can CC and then kite you endlessly once you leave stealth, AoE ult teams that instantly kill you with thousands of AoE magic damage, and teams with real tanks that just disable or taunt you. Sadly, most teams are one of these teams at higher Elo.

I typically have to tank my Elo by losing 15 straight games (unranked) before Tri-Force Eve works as well as Sunfire-Eve used to at a higher Elo.

All I know is that I see even less of Eve post-nerf...kinda makes me sad...

ALargeBear

10-20-2010

Your build: Trinity, berserkers, vampiric scepter, infinity edge, soto

cost: 10889

stats:

+ 110 AD (no stacks on soto, trinity, IE)
+ 30 AP (trinity)
+ 50% AS (trinity, zerkers)
+ 32% crit chance (IE, trinity)
+ 12% movespeed (trinity)
+ 300 hp (trinity)
+ 300 mana (trinity)
+ 12% lifesteal (vampiric scepter)
+ crits deal 250% damage (IE)
+ 25% chance slow on melee (trinity)
+ 150% base damage to next attack every 2 seconds on cast (trinity)

Standard evelynn items (imo): rylais, lich bane, boots of mobility, zhonyas

cost: 11025

+ 350 AP (zhonyas + rylais + liche bane)
+ 550 HP (rylais)
+ 350 mana (lich bane)
+ 100% chance to slow on spell cast (rylais)
+ 7% movespeed (lich bane)
+ 30 MR (lich bane)
+ 100% AP to next attack every 2 seconds on cast (lich bane)
+ 2 second stasis (zhonyas)

breakdown:

At level 18, trinity will only add at MOST 159 damage based on evelynns base damage. lich bane will add 350 damage, NEARLY 200 EXTRA DAMAGE PER PROC. AND it can continue to increase with extra AP, a lot of which items offer even more survivability such as rod of ages, or abyssal scepter. +1 for AP.

Because of the 30 AP from trinity, this means ravage hits for 350 vs 670. twice as hard as AD evelynn. Building AP, you're much more likely to get CDR too in some form, meaning you can ravage more often. +1 for AP

Trinity gives 300 hp and 300 mana, my items give 550 hp and 350 mana. more survivability AND more mana for hate spiking. in addition, +30 MR from lich bane. +1 for AP.

trinity has a small slow from the phage component, but it isn't reliable, you can't chase (can't rely on getting red buff either). rylais gives a constant slow to hate spike that is always applied, allowing chase. +1 AP

Hate spike deals +98 from AP in AP, and +8.4 from AP from trinity on AD; 90 more for AP. You can get the cooldown on hatespike to about 0.5 seconds, meaning you can cast it twice a second, adding a total +180 to your DPS, without even having to land auto attacks. In late game teamfights, minions wont be around; you should almost always be hitting someone important with it even if you can't control who it targets, just based off where you stand. unless you're critting all the time, your auto attacks aren't doing much more damage than this; especially since armour is cheap, everyone gets it per level, giving all characters decent mitigation late game. HEAVILY reliant on actually getting SOTO stacks to even have the possibility of more damage. +1 on AP

vampiric scepter adds basically nothing... especially when it's not even built into anything. and if you can't land auto-attacks, you don't get its benefits. this won't save you in a team fight. what WILL save you is being able to be invulnerable for a whole 2 seconds with zhonyas. +1 AP

So... how is AD better than AP?

Edit: also, evelynns rework is still underway. the one where hate spike deals full damage to both targets, prefers to target champions, has spell vamp, and has an increased AP ratio. love me some hate spiking.

Vijaya

10-20-2010

Longsword doesn't increase Sheen damage. Please learn how the game works before making another guide.

thulfir

10-20-2010

longsword actually does for 2 reasons:
1) increases your vanilla damage
2) sheen proc allows next attack to deal double your damage

Lulwy

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulfir View Post
longsword actually does for 2 reasons:
1) increases your vanilla damage
2) sheen proc allows next attack to deal double your damage
And longsword actually doesn't for 1 reason:

1) Sheen's proc only works off BASE damage, as in naked, with no items at all.