Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to stop Kog'Maw

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheShortestPath

10-20-2010

If you run into problems with Kog'Maw, have someone on your team pick Poppy. She melts Kog faster than he can do the same to you.

Quirknessity

10-20-2010

I usually play Galio with Merc Treads/Thornmail/Aegis/Guardian/Banshees/Abyssal Scepter and that usually gives me around 75% mitigation to both Magic and Physical attacks and around 3k health. If Kog'maw Kog should be hitting me for around 75 damage (magical) and some physical damage after mitigation. The issue here is if he builds void staff or not which cuts my existing mitigation of around 200 or so to 120.

My question is, did he either have Void staff/Abyssal Scepter or The Spell Pen shoes? If so, that's probably why he shredded you. And if he did get those items, the only counters would be to stick to your team and tank him til your team kills him in less than 4 seconds, or to exhaust him.

Odruc

10-20-2010

Quote:
delima05:
MR???? you meam armor, good kog maw players go damage not AP, that COULD be your problem. i havent e ven played with a kog that went magic.

Even though he was AD, Madred's damage and Kog's skill per HP% are both Magic Damage, that's why we get MR.

Seems Exhaust is the way to go... And maybe Frozen Heart, Warden's Mail, and Raduin's Omen.

BTW, I had 250 armor, 170 MR and 4K HP when he melted me in 4 secs... I was the Mundo.

Yana

10-20-2010

Quote:
Eph2verse8and9:
But your question is kind of silly. You're asking how to beat/counter a tank-killing champion as a tank.

This is in the same vein as if I asked, how do I beat/counter a Xin Zhao with, say, Miss Fortune. Or if I'm a squishy assassin like Akali, how do I beat a competent burst mage with an oracle elixir from burning me down in one combo.

Kog'Maw excels at killing tanks, though that 10% thing is a myth unless he's a got a lot of Mpen, or you have negligible MR. Should be more like 5-6% at most assuming you have 100+ MR AFTER his MR is taken into consideration.

When he glows red to use BAB, back off him unless your team is ready to rearrange his internal organs for you. If he focuses you in a teamfight, tell your team to take him out first (which they should be doing), and if you're Galio, throwing a rank 5 Bulwark on yourself on top of your tanky items should defend you pretty well.

QFT

As somebody who played kog a lot before they did that whole buff and he became FotM, this is how it is.

Just backoff when facing kog if you're not ready to commit, if you back off when he uses his W you've got a big window of opportunity when it's down.

If you are ready to commit, and he's shredding you, guess what? They've got a player who's attacking a tank. SUCCESS! Your goal in life is to take damage and die in a teamfight so your allies can mope the floor with the enemies. Surviving is a secondary concern. This is one of the inherent stupidities of a rushed bloodrazor build, it's an anti-tank item when attacking tanks is the last thing you should be doing.

Not only that, but either his team focus fires you, the tank, and your team mops the floor with them easily, or they have 4 guys focus firing your squishies and 1 guy just pointlessly attacking a tank all by himself. Not to mention, as galio, once you've used your ult you're pretty much 99% done, you've done your bit in the fight. I mean, hey, you could probably run away and jungle mid teamfight and your team wouldn't care.

I'd actually caution against taking too much MR. I mean, remember you're trying to encourage the enemy to attack you. If you've got a ton of MR, they'll probably switch to another target which defeats the point of a tank. Same issue with thornmail.

If you absolutely insist on surviving, and they're stupid enough to focus fire you anyway, stacking MR // warden's is probably the most effective for cost.

CaptainBinkles

10-20-2010

Quote:
MrOrby:
guys, you are not answering the question...

Dont look for answers in other champions. Look at what a tank has in hand.

Summoners spells, masteries?, runes?, an item that maybe is being unseen.

Im not even asking for the possibility of killing him, im trying to find a solution to...i dont know... hold 10 seconds instead of 4? (and 4 seconds is just by kog hitting me)

They are answering the question. Its just not the answer you're looking for. You have 4 other teammates. If a champion is just simply good against you then work around it. This is why people think kog is OP. He has damage that burns through % health, and the tanky characters wonder "Why can't I kill him". Well sir, its because you're forgetting about the rest of your team. Throw a stun on kog and let your dps take care of him.

Krosan

10-20-2010

Kog'Maw is designed to shred tanks. He's good at it. He's not designed to take damage and tends to not be able to shred tanks when he builds a lot of survivability.

It's like Phreak's MF spotlight pointed out for her; Kog is extremely vulnerable to assassin-type characters.

YummyCheese

Recruiter

10-20-2010

A mobile anti-DPS.

Kassadin, Poppy, Akali can all shut him down completely if played right.

Even TF and Olaf can do a pretty good job, although that's a bit more risky.

ThanksALatte

10-20-2010

Quote:
Odruc:
Even though he was AD, Madred's damage and Kog's skill per HP% are both Magic Damage, that's why we get MR.

Seems Exhaust is the way to go... And maybe Frozen Heart, Warden's Mail, and Raduin's Omen.

BTW, I had 250 armor, 170 MR and 4K HP when he melted me in 4 secs... I was the Mundo.

You were probably ignited. And you will not 1v1 kog. He will kite you. Also, why not get a phantom dancer? Why are you tank mundo anyways? Some dodge will also avoid a good portion of his damage. And don't get warmogs on mundo.