New League System in Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Narog

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yegg View Post
If you queue dodge during a Division or Promotion Series then the series will immediately be canceled and you'll have to re-qualify for the series by winning another game. It might sound harsh, but queue dodge rates in ranked are honestly too high right now, and we're not interested in having some players carefully micromanaging their series matchups at the expense of everyone else's queue times and failed lobbies.
Your are making dodging sound like is worse than trolling , dodging is right know the only tool players have to skip some terrible matches where there is flaming in champion select and making picks regardless of what the team is doing .

NinjaCalibur

01-16-2013

I'm not sure where people seem to believe that this whole system is made JUST "simply to hide ELO". It's not. The ELO is still there, it's just invisible as they explained. And more importantly, it's a different system to be more accurate and help people overall.

The New System Explained - For the Dummies

People won't entirely queue up exactly the same as before. AND you have the ability to actually physically "climb the ladder" now.

The Now
This means that you don't have to worry so much about winning here, losing there and staying in the same spot. So long as you win enough to raise enough points to do qualifying division/series matches AND are able to pass them you move up the ladder. And it's more difficult to fall back down the ladder than it is to move up it now that there are stepping stones and THAT is the big difference. The play maker, game changer. And ELO Hell theory destroyer.

The Before
The difference before was that there was no actual ladder. There were no challenge circuit series rounds where if you won them you got boosted up into the next section to carry on further. It was simply "You win games, you gain score points. Lose games you lose score points." Which is more like a slippery slope. You can win some and then lose some and be stuck in the same area forever if you don't try to latch onto something, be steady and careful and work your way up very slowly.

Explained Further
The ladder gets rid of that worry and that slippery slope and puts handles on every little section you climb up. Giving you something to grab hold of so you don't slip back down the slope as fast as you were climbing up it. And each and every few ladder steps you get to a safe point where you are guaranteed not to fall back down any further below. At least for a brief time. (The division series)
Where as before if you slipped and fell, nothing caught you and you fell hard back down to where you started climbing. This safe point can withstand some pressure from your slip and fall to stop it. But not too much pressure. This brief point in time helps allow you to re-gain your grip on the ladder and try to start climbing again.

Overall this will make climbing the ladder easier for people who have had issues in the past. People who COULD actually do well enough to get up but had slips from afk/leaver/troll matches and worked back down. This helps stop that and makes it worth while to keep pushing through.

______

(Not necessary to read, just a little extra)

The ELO Hell Theory Origin Explained

One of the biggest problems has always been that skill wasn't being learned, scaled and balanced properly. While players could learn to get better at the game and may actually of become let's say... 200 ELO above where they currently are.. That's not a drastic enough amount of skill gain to where they could actually climb to that spot so easily just because they're as good as it. Because certain gameplay is needed to be known in order to pass specific ELO sections. Every section is played a bit differently due to what people do know and don't know about how to play the game. So while people could be 200 ELO better than the current ELO score they have.. it doesn't mean they could get there. And it doesn't mean it would be easier either. You have to be a lot better than the current ELO you are in to be able to surpass it that much easier. But you win matches and still lose matches and are stuck in the same spot that you have been in. And because of such, they don't get to actually reach that higher 200 ELO area to start learning to play like they do there and then begin to advance and become even better than that ELO and then keep raising up. This is what has caused the "ELO Hell" theory to exist.
The lack of ladders and stepping stones made the old ELO system purely a slip and slide slanted road. Where someone could get better than where they currently are but not actually get past where they currently are without very careful match picks and safe play. Even then, they could start winning more matches but once they drop their guard they start falling. No ledge or ladder of any kind to grab onto.
And since the game is very team based regardless, 1 player on their team being 200 ELO better than where they currently are while 4 others are actually 100 ELO worse than where they are won't make it easy to win such a match. Especially if the opposing team is as good as their current ELO or possibly better too. That 1 player alone isn't that good that they can drastically carry that well. If you're much higher skilled ELO-wise than it is possible. But 200 ELO is just a notch or 2 up and not enough to drastically carry.

ELO Hell doesn't truly exist. In some ways it does and in most it does not. In the sense that the old ELO system made it difficult and inaccurate to help players raise in ELO to continue to get better and better, it wasn't so great. It seemed more real that ELO Hell existed. Players had a hard time advancing forward when they got better because getting a little better didn't help them carry up easier. They could still lose just as much and be unable to get that little further up there to start getting even better. And that's where people have become so die-hard in terms of believing ELO Hell exists.
The fact that in too many more ways it doesn't exist is simply that if you put enough into it, you can still surpass it. Thus proving it truly doesn't exist. If you're careful enough to pick your matches wisely rather than going balls deep on any match. If you try to work as a team always. If you try to be flexible. If you learn as much as you can from guides, streams, etc.. eventually you can begin to progress further regardless of the ELO system having purely been based off of wins and losses only.

Hope this helps people understand a bit better.

Wilkinson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2013

You guys are killing this game...

Why would you copy Starcraft 2? Everyone hated its ladder system and now you copy it?

Laughing

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2013

Quote:
You can still be matched against anyone else who's playing ranked at that time, even if they're in a different league, division, or tier. So you shouldn't have any trouble finding matches at 4 AM. In fact, given my sleep schedule recently, you'll probably have me on your team.
this suks shet

asdfJackal

01-16-2013

So what is the deal with the division and promotion tournaments.
Will they be for just the members in your division?
Will you play with the same four people for all 3/5 games?
Do you have to play all 3/5 games at once?
Will there be an option under ranked in the match setup to play a division/promotion match?

Just give me a scenario of how this would work(assuming you have this worked out).

DontTryKillMe

Recruiter

01-16-2013

Lol

Toxic Nig

01-16-2013

i only have one question will you add a way to check your how many points you've earned to see when you have a shot for advancement much like starcraft when you view the ladder if your number one and win so many games you usually knew you had a advancement coming soon or will we just be left in the dark id like to know when i have a chance to advance

Diccups

01-16-2013

I'm very excited about this. Will there be a CLEAR notifiation/popup/banner or indication of some kind that lets a player know that they are now in a promotion series?

On the same note, will it track and display ur wins/losses in the series? (Gold Challenge Series status: 2win/2losses). I ask because I may not play them all the same day/week and forget where I stand, it would be nice to have a quick reference.

Will we be able to see if someone else is in a series? (bad idea, people afk'ing over nothing if they find out you are in series). i.e. "queue dodge if you want but either way im taking Mid". people will bully you if they know you are in a series.

Hugh

01-16-2013

Quote:
If you queue dodge during a Division or Promotion Series then the series will immediately be canceled and you'll have to re-qualify for the series by winning another game. It might sound harsh, but queue dodge rates in ranked are honestly too high right now, and we're not interested in having some players carefully micromanaging their series matchups at the expense of everyone else's queue times and failed lobbies.
I wonder why they are so high....... I am actually on a penalty now because I dodged in a rank game. The amount of people that cry that don't get their role and then just pick two AD Ranged Carries forces me to dodge at the last second.

NightmareRaven

01-16-2013

About time. The ELO system was flawed in the sense that it's a TEAM GAME. And when you got near the 1200 neutral mark, people would just be starting ranked games and are generally really bad, making it really hard to get past that point, thus, creating ELO HELL. But they need to make it so that you play with people from your personal skill, not just people from your division, that's important, to avoid an ELO hell.
Make it not only based on wins/loses, but make feeders go down much faster then people who actually know how to play and are just stuck with ****ty teammates. Because that is what ruins this game.