Replace "Lock In" with "Ready"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Labcown

01-13-2013

I never quite understood why the Lock In button was implemented in the first place. It has the sense of being helpful (hey, we get to start our game early!), but only seems to be getting used for negative purposes ala Insta-Locking.

Many people here though disagree with it's strict removal, because sometimes saving that 40-50 seconds every once in a while is more helpful or prevalent then the trolls who Insta-Lock for various reasons and cause people grief.

So what I think Riot should implement instead of Lock in, is a button that starts the game early if all 10 players have hit their ready button. The difference between the two however, is that the ready button doesn't stop you from picking different champions, switching out masteries, changing summoner spells, etc. etc.

It's essentially a soft Lock In, which would still retain the beneficial functions of the button, while eliminating a possible way for toxic players to ruin a game before it even starts.

Thoughts?

TheNarvalOfDeath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

+1 good idea. But could only be implemented on normal queues because on draft or ranked... well you pick something and then you shouldnt be able to change it

Prandine

01-13-2013

Hmm, in hindsight/on paper it's a good idea, and while it would possibly help eliminate the trolls who like to intentionally lock in choices that don't benefit the team, it would probably cause more problems. Again, it's a good idea, but I don't know if it would be worth it in the long run in all honesty.

warriormonkey03

01-13-2013

New form of trolling

1. Pick normal champ
2. Ready up
3. Let team build a good comp around you
4. Change to your troll pick ruining your teams comp anyway.

That being said. The problem is with the players not the functionality. People who instalock will now just select the champ and instaready. It's the same thing.

phatcat09

01-13-2013

I frequently instalock champions.

I never Troll.

Is your mind blown?

warriormonkey03

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcat09 View Post

I never Troll.

Is your mind blown?
No, i just go with peoples idea of insta locking being trolling.

If i have first picked in ranked i will insta lock. Why? because its my pick and i get first dibs on whatever i want. No amount of talking will change my mind. I'll play the champion and lane that i want to play. You also have 6 rounds of ban to go through to sort out lanes anyway.

Point is, at my elo at least, i only know 3-4 champions per role. Chances are, the champions i know in the role i'm playing are not the same champions you want me to play anyway. That and the only way to play Kennen is to instalock and then say "trust me".

KahIeesi

01-14-2013

I feel like it would be a good idea to have a ready check right before the match starts (similar to the accept you have to click to enter select.) The match only continues if all have approved the ready check within like 20 secs. I know this is probably uncommon but I've at least ran into a lot of instances where someone would accept the match and afk to the point where they got a random champ and there goes the game.

Daniel11111123

01-14-2013

Insta lock in isn't trolling, if they do it, then just fill whatever role there are left. There's really nothing you can do but trust them.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcat09 View Post

I never Troll.
Contradiction.

@OP, the problem is the type of player who instalocks, not the button itself.

Labcown

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriormonkey03 View Post
New form of trolling

1. Pick normal champ
2. Ready up
3. Let team build a good comp around you
4. Change to your troll pick ruining your teams comp anyway.

That being said. The problem is with the players not the functionality. People who instalock will now just select the champ and instaready. It's the same thing.
(Way late to my own party, I know Dx )

I'm not disagreeing with you that if there are hardcore trolls out that still want to ruin team compositions, this won't alleviate that problem, it's more for the people who tend to autolock and might have second thoughts about completely ruining a team's composition, or forcibly pushing someone out of a role, I.E.

Player A: Mid please
Player B: NO I MID
Player A: Let's talk about this....
Player B: NO (Autolocks)

But having a feature in the champion selection that seems to generate nothing but negativity as it is, isn't a functionality we should have in the game.