Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[suggestion] Possible Thresh Ult Rework

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

01-11-2013

This is a good idea. In fact, I tried some iterations that were similar. Unfortunately, it ran into a lot of small issues that added up to a sub-optimal ability.

At the time, I thought I wanted the ult to be a reliability spell that gave you the ability to execute the rest of your kit. Specifically, as a targeted spell it was just super powerful at setting up almost guaranteed Qs (and the name "Death Sentence" is pretty apt when it comes to landing this spell). It turns out, with this sort of added self-created reliability, Thresh would need to be toned down dramatically. Instead, I decided to embrace unreliability (and the added highs that such skills can have) as a central part of Thresh's design.

Now, the ability functions in the opposite direction -- if you land a skillshot, you can combo it with your walls to drag or push the enemy through, regardless of their willingness. This seemed more unique (the targeted version felt a bit like Nautilus to me) and just feels so cool.

Cuix

01-11-2013

Quote:
CertainlyT:
This is a good idea. In fact, I tried some iterations that were similar. Unfortunately, it ran into a lot of small issues that added up to a sub-optimal ability.

What issues are those?

Quote:
CertainlyT:
At the time, I thought I wanted the ult to be a reliability spell that gave you the ability to execute the rest of your kit. Specifically, as a targeted spell it was just super powerful at setting up almost guaranteed Qs (and the name "Death Sentence" is pretty apt when it comes to landing this spell). It turns out, with this sort of added self-created reliability, Thresh would need to be toned down dramatically. Instead, I decided to embrace unreliability (and the added highs that such skills can have) as a central part of Thresh's design.

Alright, cool, but what are the issues with the ult OP proposed?

Quote:
CertainlyT:
Now, the ability functions in the opposite direction -- if you land a skillshot, you can combo it with your walls to drag or push the enemy through, regardless of their willingness. This seemed more unique (the targeted version felt a bit like Nautilus to me) and just feels so cool.

Yeah, current ult has its place, but this doesn't mean that the proposed ult isn't more interesting. It just means the current ult isn't uninteresting.

Akuen

01-11-2013

Quote:

But you've removed the chance of one target taking damage from multiple walls. Is there any chance of this being reinstated?

Fomorian27

Recruiter

01-11-2013

One of the things about the current Box is that you can pull people into or out of it with your q and e, so it's got great synergy with the rest of his kit. That synergy largely goes away if you make the box so small that it is only able to affect one champion.

In all I think the current box has a ton of ways to use it effectively, though I think we'll have to wait and see how the pros use it to see the most creative uses of it.

Leigron

01-11-2013

i have an idea, see the kit of thresh can grab the enemy to your box, and do damage to them if they go off and you can actually throw them in the walls to do damage, but i liked the "no vision" thing, why dont riot add it to the skill, could be interesting and i dont bleive it cost too much time to do it

ShiznazTM

01-11-2013

Don't you dare change his ult... it's amazing..

Akuen

01-11-2013

Quote:
Don't you dare change his ult... it's amazing..

From which state are you referring to? It's already been modified once.

Titiln

01-12-2013

For what it does now, it's just unnapealing to me.

Like, they can hit one wall, no more worries.

not hard.

Funnily enough is, you can break the other walls without taking damage now.

If your going to do something so heavily drastic like that, atleast give him a shorter cooldown or something, dang. the ultimate just isnt the same anymore.

Macrofarad

01-12-2013

Opinion: I like the idea of making it non-thresh-centered as centered seems to conflict with his role in every possible way, but personally I'd prefer to see it as a skill-shot like viktor's gravity bind instead of a single target spell (giving the option of trapping multiple). Vision impairment fits his theme and would be beautiful, and I do like the idea of walls breaking down/not being effected by multiple walls.

I don't care if he has to have some damage potential removed to make this happen; it needs to happen.

Shenannigans

01-12-2013

I know this doesn't really fit in with the whole "walls" idea, but I think a possibility for his ult could be like dianas pull thing, but mulitple chains shooting out to nearby enemies. Like from prototype, instead of killing everyone in the radius, he could pull them all to him.