Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Thresh Q cast time.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

01-11-2013

Marked for later comment. I'll be back!

StoRm Of Summon

01-11-2013

Quote:
CertainlyT:
Marked for later comment. I'll be back!

Too lazy! :P

Valenten

01-12-2013

the reason i suggested either the decrease wind up time or allow him to move while casting it is cause there have been multiple times where i was chasing someone and they got away cause i had to stop and cast it and they were well within in the hook range. id say they were 2/3rds of the way of the distance it travels but they got out cause of the windup time. I understand that blitz stands still while casting it but his only has a travel time which is pretty short as well. he doesnt have close to a 1 sec wind up time it seems before the hook even shoots.

Ragequitternob

Recruiter

01-12-2013

Quote:
Valenten:
the reason i suggested either the decrease wind up time or allow him to move while casting it is cause there have been multiple times where i was chasing someone and they got away cause i had to stop and cast it and they were well within in the hook range. id say they were 2/3rds of the way of the distance it travels but they got out cause of the windup time. I understand that blitz stands still while casting it but his only has a travel time which is pretty short as well. he doesnt have close to a 1 sec wind up time it seems before the hook even shoots.

Yes i also find that a pretty big problem remember that his Q doesn't have blitzcrank rocket grab range and amumus stun or maybe nautilus grab on objects to pull himself to him. Makes it very hard to cast his Q on a chasing scene. I will say his Q is more of a initiating in a team fight cause you can easily pull an enemy champion to your team and finish him off, except that his R ( ulti ) has been changed to target lock which makes it strange to pull of a combo

ShrubNinja

Recruiter

01-12-2013

The biggest complaint I have about the Q is that it travels way too slowly for having that cast time. It would still catch people with the cast time if it traveled as fast as Blitz or Amumu's grab. But with the windup and slow combined make it near impossible to catch someone who's running away.

Ragequitternob

Recruiter

01-12-2013

Quote:
ShrubNinja:
The biggest complaint I have about the Q is that it travels way too slowly for having that cast time. It would still catch people with the cast time if it traveled as fast as Blitz or Amumu's grab. But with the windup and slow combined make it near impossible to catch someone who's running away.

Exactly point made , hope CertainlyT reads this and make slight adjustment

ShrubNinja

Recruiter

01-12-2013

I really like the ability, but you can only really hit someone with it from the bushes or if they're not paying any attention. It doesn't matter how great the ability is if it never hits. I've found myself saving it for when someone breaks a box wall, because the slow finally lets me land it.

SpderMan

01-12-2013

i think CertainlyT forgot

BadgerDrool

01-12-2013

When I tried Tresh I wasn't actually sure his wind up had a different length then Blitz's. It felt like it but I think it was just that the animations are so different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbrZSD0NcTQ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbrZSD0NcTQ)
Blitz has a very non-dynamic lead in to his Grab. He stops, turns, and sort of freezes in place before the rocket fires. It's not very noticeable and easily overlooked. It's just a very flat animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqYrrgBkgHM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqYrrgBkgHM)
Thresh however has more animation there and isn't anywhere near as static. It flows through the three stages of the cast a bit more noticeably by being a more dynamic transition.

The two grabs also differ after the wind up. Thresh doesn't pull a target next to him so they move less which. He's bringing himself and them in the middle of the two. There isn't the sudden quick snap back (holding target) that Blitz has. The flight speed also appears different but that may also be perception rather then reality.

I hope CertainlyT gives the exact numbers.

PS: Since Thresh's pull can bring Thresh half way...it doesn't need to hit a specific target as badly as Blitz's does. Think about Amumu. Landing the bandage toss on a key target is great but you can also hit the person near them so you get in range to ult. Thresh can aim for a minion or tank to pull himself closer. Once closer the rest of his kit does come into play. Maybe he uses Flay to push aside a tank to the left and then uses The Box to trap that tank out of position. Allowing his team to go around him on the right and team fight with better positioning. Maybe the pull in lets him get close enough to then use Dark Passage to deliver a slower team mate with strong initiation. Imagine a Leona still having R and E while suddenly getting 300 units from their carry and closing.

If Blitz lands a grab on Amumu he can't throw him back. Thresh can always choose to not hit Q a second time, use Flay to push back, or The Box to let his team run. Thresh can disengage his own pulls but Blitz cannot.

Now that I think about it, Nautilus commits harder then Thresh does too.

Komeiji Koishi

01-12-2013

Quote:
DropoftheGun:
for the utility it brings as well as the disable it provides, having a longer cast time is fine imo. Maybe a smidge less, but if it were instant cast, he'd be instantly replacing blitzcrank.

This essentially; the skill already comes with an extremely powerful passive, I honestly think the wind-up time is necessary to compensate for the utility one skill point in Q alone provides. Not only do you have the option to pull an enemy, albeit only halfway as opposed to Blitzcrank, but you also retain the option to pull yourself to the enemy to set up the rest of your kit on second Q cast.

Besides that, the cast time is noticeably less clunkier than Thresh's first iteration.