Deck the Lanes with Gingerbread Contest Winners!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nyla

01-13-2013

Perhaps because they were already so late due to the holidays they wanted to be nice and quick for those who had been waiting a long time. 15k votes is more than enough to presume the picks were fair after all.

Super Explosion

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreampod View Post
like you are trying to sweep this under the carpet by turning this into a fait accompli?
In point of fact, Riot is the sole runner and determiner of contests like this, so it is already a 'done deal'.

However, it is pretty certainly not their goal to annoy or dissatisfy people-- Riot basically does the best they can with the resources they have to make this a fun experience for everyone.

It may not all go flawlessly, due to technical issues and the like, but the decisions they make are usually tailored to mitigate the problems and make players happy.

After all, Mister Xin Bazner didn't need to post at all: he really wants to try to find ways to improve this.

Dreampod

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyla View Post
Perhaps because they were already so late due to the holidays they wanted to be nice and quick for those who had been waiting a long time. 15k votes is more than enough to presume the picks were fair after all.
That is a perfectly legitimate (though poorly thought through IMO) reason why they would want to cut voting short but given the mismanagement of the contest up to this point I rather suspect incompetence or malice as being more likely.

In my opinion the 15k votes are highly concerning to the contest legitimacy. If I were Riot I would be having one of the security people look over the votes since it got a much larger number of votes over a shorter period of time than similar contests have in the past and is very vulnerable to manipulation because they have no monitoring or control over who can vote. Beyond that, when I (foolishly and incorrectly) accused Mastatheorm of link hijacking because I couldn't identify how he got the URL he provided I examined the xHtml source for the woobox page. While there may be some code behind the scenes re-verifying, the check that prevents double voting is right there in plain, accessible, text. Anyone with rudimentary xHtml scripting knowledge could stack votes by simply submitting an increment command without the id check first.

Edit for additional detail: Also it appeared to grant a single vote but refresh it each day (part of how they did the anti-double vote Id check I mentioned) so that people could vote for a single entry up to three times per IP address. While technically not contrary to any specified rule I would expect a major detail about how voting worked like that to be mentioned.

Hraagh

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin it to Win It View Post
@Pickle, there were 900 entries that were not DQ'ed in any way.
What would be very nice is if there were some sort of unannounced consolation prize. For example, you could give out only one of the reward skins, or a summoner icon, or a smattering of RP simply for entering. Just a small thank-you for participating, that's all. If not for this contest, keep it in mind for the next one.

It would have to be unannounced obviously for the same reason the Tribunal doesn't give IP anymore - people should do it in the spirit of the holidays, instead of seeing it as a reward simply for participating.

GoddessShallah

01-13-2013

Pickled Pet, I think you are great and I think everyone should check out the gallery and thank Pickled Pet! It's fun to see the entries. And I agree, sneak in a skin for each of the five, without saying, just that they've been properly taken care of. (I think most people just wanted one of the skins anyways.)

Have a wonderful day everyone

Mastatheorm

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2013

Quote:
when I (foolishly and incorrectly) accused Mastatheorm of link hijacking because I couldn't identify how he got the URL he provided I examined the xHtml source for the woobox page.
Good times good times

Maybe for the *edit* additional 5 (if they are thinking of doing so) make it open to the remaining 900 - already won entries. And let the ppl decide.

Nyla

01-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastatheorm View Post
Good times good times

Maybe for the last 5 (if they are thinking of doing so) make it open to the remaining 900 - already won entries. And let the ppl decide.
I hope you mean 5 after the 10 from na and eu in the current voting. Wouldn't be fair to to take the prize from 10 winners. 900 would sure be a lot to look through, I think I'd just look for my favourites from the original contest thread x)

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

Follow Xin it to Win It on Twitter

01-13-2013
31 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Perhaps because they were already so late due to the holidays they wanted to be nice and quick for those who had been waiting a long time. 1.5k votes is more than enough to presume the picks were fair after all.
15k votes, not 1.5k

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

01-13-2013
32 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
I hope you mean 5 after the 10 from na and eu in the current voting. Wouldn't be fair to to take the prize from 10 winners. 900 would sure be a lot to look through, I think I'd just look for my favourites from the original contest thread x)
There will be no change to the existing winners based on the original judging and resulting community vote.

What we are discussing is how to improve the negative sentiment towards our lack of clarity around what we would be considering when we judged entries. I put out the idea of opening up some honorable mention slots, but a couple of good points as to why we should not do that have been raised. I will meet with my team tomorrow and see what we can come up with.

Hi Geoffrey

aka Bazner

01-13-2013
33 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Xin, you might want to fix the woobox page. Since you closed the voting the entries are no longer visible.
The woobox is now active again, it automatically turns off when voting ends so that we can get a tally. It is now back up in gallery mode.

Edit: I have also turned the Grand Prize winners back on so that they can be viewed in the gallery.