Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[suggestion] Thresh E should target like Viktor's Death Ray

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lm Krueger ml

01-10-2013

As in the thread title.

The chain whip on Thresh's E has been causing some problems with its targeting.

I'd like to suggest that instead of the current:
- You aim the skill directionally away from you, causing a linear AOE to pass over your character in the direction you aim the skill, causes a slight knock back in the direction you aim.

Instead I would suggest it works similar to Viktor's Death Ray skill:
- You select a starting position for the skill, then a direction. The skill then creates a linear AOE which starts at the designated start point, and travels along the chosen direction, causes a slight knock back in the direction of travel of the skill.

To Clarify
In case anyone is unclear on exactly how that targeting works, I'll explain it in a little more detail. You first select a start point for the skill. This can be anywhere within a limited range and will be the initial start point for the skill. Your skillshot indicator then shows you the linear path, one end of which will be locked to the start location. Moving the mouse around will move the other end of the path (360 degrees around the start point). Clicking again locks the path in place and fires the skill. If you have smartcast then you click once to place the start position and hold it, then let go when you have positioned the skill correctly.

What this would mean?
You'd have a lot more freedom to chose who to knockback and in what direction to do it, however pulling someone towards you would become more difficult than knocking someone back. This is due to the max range on the start location, you can hit someone further away if you fire the skill towards them knocking them away, rather than towards you, which would pull them in.

However the trade-off is a far greater degree of control and a far more intuitive targeting system. On top of everything his weapon is the very epitome of being able to strike in any direction, from any direction. That's the whole strength of a sickle and chain.

Outworld

01-10-2013

removed

Fudge Dragon

01-10-2013

Way too overpowered.
He already has a ranged pull, you want to give him another one?
I love thresh but let's not do that.
A lot of people that I've noticed having trouble with his E are not playing with smartcasting.
I have absolutely no problems with his E.

In a sense his E already works like Viktor and Rumble's Death Ray and Equalizer, but it's starting vector point is already established at thresh's standing location... Think of it that way. What you are describing gives Thresh too much control over other people's movement, which he has already...

lm Krueger ml

01-10-2013

I've only had minor problems with it in clutch situations where I've tried to pull and I've not aimed it perfectly opposite what I wanna pull causing it to miss. You can argue that's a skill problem but you can't deny its a bit awkward at times.

You say it would be OP.

That's a more valid argument, so here goes:
Riot have clearly stated that the purpose of this champ is to provide a lot of CC and control over a fight. That is as stated on his initial release, his greatest strength. He's slow, not massively high damage, but has great control. He can zone people away from his Box, and drag them round the battlefield. He already does this much at present, so how would this change?

Lets bare in mind for a second that there would clearly need to be a slight nerf to offset the added control on this skill. For a start the size of the AOE would definitely need to be reduced. Also remember that the distance of the knockback is not that huge to begin with on this skill, certainly nothing compared to the long range Q, which can suppress and relocate an enemy a fair distance.

So the only thing you really gain from this is the ability to knock people directionally in ways you weren't able to before, as well has being able to knock people away from you from a greater distance.

In my opinion it will greatly increase the possible options and combos when playing as Thresh and increase his skillcap a bit higher. As someone suggested in a different thread, it could open up options to knock someone out from behind minions so you can land your Q on them. This is only making Thresh more interesting to play and enhancing and reinforcing his main strengths.

BanditManSteve

01-10-2013

ive never had an issue with his E. And from an animation perspective that would make no sense and looked incredibly awkward. Its not supposed to be a super long range cc, its something that you combo with your Q to keep people close or use to push people away while running. I love it how it is.

StalkinU2

01-10-2013

My only issue with his e is the delay. People tend to run out of its range after I cast it.
Could be due to the latency...

lm Krueger ml

01-10-2013

Quote:
StalkinU2:
My only issue with his e is the delay. People tend to run out of its range after I cast it.
Could be due to the latency...

I don't think I've ever noticed any significant delay on his E.. His Q certainly but not the E.

Eyrgos

01-10-2013

InB4LOCK! Haha, ridiculous OP.

lm Krueger ml

01-10-2013

Why ridiculous? There's nothing wrong with a discussion about it...

Xenotime Gaze

01-10-2013

Personally I would want this. I honestly have been wanting a skill like that for a while, and his kit is disruptive enough innately for it to be a good adjustment to his kit. Honestly, going by the description, i thought that he would already be able to do that (without the skill dealing damage, didnt expect that).