[Guide] How to explode your enemy carries as Xin Zhao

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seasonal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-18-2010

Index:

1. Introduction
2. Abilities
3. Masteries
4. Runes
5. Summoner Spells
6. Item Build + laning
7. Why the build works + Team fights

1. Introduction

Having seen and played with and against a lot of xin zhaos, by noting their builds and comparing them to mind I've found a pretty solid build that seems to work rather well on him. This is a laning off-tank xin zhao build that can initiate but is not your true tank
Note: This is NOT a jungle xin build because I find that although he can have amazing ganks with blue and red, he is quite slow to acquire both buffs early game and against a competent team who wards your jungle - you will struggle.

2. Abilities

Passive: Tireless Warrior
Every third hit that xin zhao lands he heals himself for 30 hp and this increases by 5 every 2 levels

Q: Three-Talon Strike
This is xin's knock up, basically after activating the ability his third hit will knock the enemy champion into the air and do a bit of bonus damage.

W: Battle Cry
Battle cry passively increases xin's attack speed but can be activated to double its effectiveness for a short period of time, every hit that he lands whilst battle cry is active reduces all of his other abilities by 1 second.

E: Audacious Charge
This is a jump to an enemy champion/minion and it slows there movement speed for a short while, whilst also having fairly decent early game damage.

R: Crescent Sweep
Finally xins ult is a reasonably short cool down ultimate where you hit all foes around you for base damage + a percentage of there current health, so you always try and use this early in a team fight and hit as many people as possible to maximise your damage output. Secondly after using crescent sweep your armour and magic resist are increased by 30/40/50 for 8 seconds.

I find that for laning Q has quite a cheap mana cost so the third hit can be used quite effectively to last hit 1-2 minions per wave. I rarely use the active of W during laning unless I am certain I can get a kill by getting a second knock up in as it has quite a high mana cost. The slow on his E scales as you level it up so I max out Audacious Charge first.

My skill order is Q -> E -> W -> E -> E -> R
And then from there R > E > Q > W

Note: You can get 1-2 hits of xin’s Q off then charge to an enemy and use your knock up straight away however you will find yourself running out of mana early game.

3. Masteries

The masteries I’ve found to work best is actually 0/9/21

The 9 in defense is for the ms buff if you have dodge runes, The 15 in utility is improved ghost, extra xp, duration of neutral buffs 2 points in mana regen and 3 points in movement speed.
Putting 21 points in defense is also acceptable but I don’t recommend putting 21 in offense simply because I find that crit build xin doesn’t work well and pure AD/AS builds make him too squishy.

4. Runes

With runes this is my general set up

Marks: Attack speed > Armor pen > Crit Chance
Seals: Dodge > Mana regen @ 18 > Flat Armor > Health per level > Flat health
Glyphs: Flat Magic Resist > Magic Resist @ 18 > Mana regen @ 18 > cool down reduction
Quints: Movement speed > Attack Speed > Flat Health > Armor Pen > Dodge
As mentioned previously, I find that crit xin isn’t very viable so crit damage/crit chance runes aren’t really recommended.

5. Summoner Spells

Like I said earlier I find that jungle xin is not a very viable pick so I don’t recommend taking smite. I find that Ghost is essential so that you can quickly close the gap and charge to an enemy or make a hasty escape.

My second summoner spell is generally exhaust, teleport or ignite, teleport is actually a lot stronger than I expected it to be because you can teleport to a tower then use your charge and ultimate to quickly farm a creep wave and late game can be great for pushing and defending

Flash and cleanse are occasionally worth a mention as your second summoner spell but I find them both out shone by exhaust teleport and ignite. If you really want you can take fortify, heal or clairvoyance but they aren’t very good picks on xin. I DO NOT recommend clarity or rally, clarity loses its usefulness after about 10 minutes and rally isn’t really that great these days.

Note: Revive isn’t as bad as everyone makes it out to be, having a late game revive can be absolutely amazing but that doesn’t mean I recommend it.

6. Item Build + Laning

I do not recommend taking mid as xin zhao because although he is a competent mid its much better to give this to your teams carry, taking the 1 vs. 2 lane is an all right choice but not amazingly recommended, 80% of the time you should have a laning partner.

The most important thing about your laning phase is to farm minions and get levels, yes kills are nice and denying the opposition team xp is also nice but a farmed xin can get an early duo baron which should win you a mid game team fight and put your team in a good position. There are plenty of great items for xin and what to start with is sometimes hard to choose. Dorans shield and even Dorans blade are acceptable starting items, vampiric sceptre is also a semi decent starting item but I don’t recommend it. If you look at the enemy team comp and think that you are going to have a very tough laning phase it is quite acceptable to start with a rejuvenation bead and 2-6 hp pots depending on how many you think you’ll need (this builds into randuins mid-late game). Alternatively you can start with a long sword for a little bit of extra ease getting last hits or harassing your opposition laners.

If you don’t have a jungler (this is quite unlikely in ranked) around level 4-5 (depending on how your farming/getting kills) you should have around 1400 gold. Only if you are certain your laning partner can stay in lane and defend the tower, you can consider going back, getting the basic madreds, starting boots and a few hp pots and possibly a ward or two. If you have no jungler AND you know your laning partner will be fine you can go clear your team’s jungle and hopefully get a successful gank off.

If your team does have a jungler or you don’t think your laning partner can solo, still go back and buy the basic madreds and boots or you can consider buying a catalyst if your really having trouble staying in lane, afterwards just stay in your lane and farm like there is no tomorrow or go gank if your allies are having trouble or the other team is consistently pushing. (It may be worth your while to invest in a few wards to keep your lane safe if your pushing)

If you stay in your lane and you find you are harassing quite well, tower diving at level 6 can be a lot safer than you might expect, when your creeps get to the tower, a quick E -> R -> Q combo can do devastating damage whilst quite effectively tanking the tower as your ultimate will give you a bonus 30 armor/magic resist whilst diving.

The Next thing that you build is always based on the other team comp, I very rarely rush madreds but if I have a strong jungler like Warwick or Udyr who is doing well, I’ll occasionally rush madreds to get an early duo baron off. If I find that I am having trouble with CC or they just have a lot of Magic damage I will get a banshees first or if they don’t have a lot of magic damage I’ll get a heart of gold.

When laning is over ideally you should have at least your starting item + basic boots + catalyst + basic madreds + heart of gold (Around 4k gold)

Next is all about deciding what to upgrade first, 90% of the time I find myself buying merc. treads, the other 10% is a fairly even split between swiftness and ninja tabai.

The key thing about your build is that you base it on the other team, late game you have a build that looks something like:
Full Madreds
Merc Treads
Banshees Veil
Randuins Omen

If you have there 4 items your basically set, you do very solid DPS and by using an W -> E -> R -> Q combo you should be able to explode the other teams carry in a team fight with out fearing being exploded yourself. At this point in the game I almost always have double elixirs going most of the time.

Note: In this build I NEVER recommend buying last whisper, you only have around 160 Attack damage and a lot of your dps is from your madreds, I also don’t recommend taking aegis, although nice its not really that amazing on xin. However there are lots of other items which are solid picks on xin to take as your fifth item, starks is a decent pick because late game in a team fight your passive doesn’t heal you an amazingly large amount. Other good fifth picks are frozen mallet or blood thirster.

Obviously there are heaps of situational items like if your versing a team with an enormous amount of physical DPS you can consider thornmail or guardian angel, if your still struggling with CC with your mercs and banshees you can consider buying quick silver sash. Finally if you find your team is quite low on DPS you can consider buying ghostblade for CDR and a nice active.

7. Why the build works + Team fights

Xin zhao has quite an odd set off an abilities, his passive, Q and W are all very nice DPS abilities whilst his E and R are great initiating abilities, especially when you get 50 bonus armor and magic resist after using his rank 3 ultimate. So from this I find that tank xin or pure DPS xin don’t make the most of his abilities whilst I find my build utilises all of them.
Banshees allows you to jump on their carry, get your ultimate off and be likely to get your knock up off as well, unless they have an insanely tanky carry this is guaranteed to take at least half of their hp.
After jumping to their carry you can use your Randuins Omen to slow them after you have got your ultimate off next you focus on killing there carry by using Q and E whenever they are up.

You should always be the first or at latest, second one from your team in a fight as you want to get your ultimate off early on as many people as you can and maximise its damage by doing it when they are close to full hp. If you have Madreds, mercs, banshees and randuins omen you will be incredibly tanky with around 3-4k hp depending on your runes/if you have a fort pot. After using your ultimate your armor and magic resist are usually over 200 so you become incredibly hard to kill, however there is nothing wrong if you die as long as you kill there main source of damage, or make them weak enough for your team to finish them off.
Note: your passive DOES work on towers so you can quite effectively tank them late game

Feel free to ask any questions and all feedback is appreciated

Lightwrks

10-19-2010

"The 9 in offence is to get the magic pen to allow your ultimate to do more damage whilst the 6 in defense is for the ms buff if you have dodge runes, if you don’t have dodge runes put the 6 in to armor and magic resist. The 15 in utility is improved ghost, extra xp, duration of neutral buffs 2 points in mana regen and 3 points in movement speed."

The MS from Dodge buff cost 9 mastery points...

Lorifel

10-19-2010

I find that my Lantern -> Tabi -> Aegis -> Wit's End build is somewhat similar to yours. My games usually don't last any longer anyways to go for more expencive builds like yours. If they do, I consider buying Black Cleaver, Banshee's or Randuin's (depending on the situation).

I like the idea to build Xin into a semitank/AS hybrid, and that's what we both do. Besides, I almost always jungle and find Lantern to be a core item for establishing Buffs / Dragon control and Map Awareness.

Good luck!

Miltus

10-19-2010

You seem to be a bit confused about masteries: Nimbleness takes 9 points not 6 and Xin's ulti is physical dmg so it doesn't benefit from Archaic Knowledge.

WithoutSkill

10-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltus View Post
You seem to be a bit confused about masteries: Nimbleness takes 9 points not 6 and Xin's ulti is physical dmg so it doesn't benefit from Archaic Knowledge.
Which is why this guide is utter **** unless you play against level 5 summoners.

Ulfhednar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-19-2010

im interested by bloodrazor on xin now, might have to try building that instead of rushing mallet, though that might end up my second item. i think bloodrazor, frozen mallet, starks just sounds tasty.

WithoutSkill

10-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post
im interested by bloodrazor on xin now, might have to try building that instead of rushing mallet, though that might end up my second item. i think bloodrazor, frozen mallet, starks just sounds tasty.
suuuure .... by the time you finish these items i would have killed you about 12 times.

Miltus

10-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfhednar View Post
So, uh, you think that combining Madred's (MAGIC Damage) and Starks (ARMOR reduction) is a good idea?

Seasonal

10-19-2010

Quote:
Ah changed it to 0/9/21, I never realised his ult was physical damage, and I completely forgot you needed 9 for nimbleness >.<

Quote:
So, uh, you think that combining Madred's (MAGIC Damage) and Starks (ARMOR reduction) is a good idea?
I find if a game goes long enough for me to build starks, I build it because it is a team item, and the life steal and attk speed bonus for your team are the main reasons why you build it, the armor reduction is a nice bonus that your physical carry benefits most of having.

Marius Caesar

10-19-2010

Does no one else find the wording of "exploding your enemies" hilarious?