Is Nami a good support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlyCat103

01-07-2013

I really like nami. Of all the supports though i think shes requires more coordination with your lane partner (exception is probably leona, but I don't play a lot of leo, so I can't say for sure).

I think it's hard for players to notice when you cast your tidecallers blessing on them (slow +on hit) so it don't always go to good use (as oppose to janna shield's ad bonus, or pix which most ad carries seem to know its there).

Her heal is great, but it's difficult to get the max bounces on it - often for the same reason. If you cast on yourself, your ad needs to be in range for the 3rd bounce. Her heal is also pretty strong, if you feel you need to play her as a sustain bot, or super defensively.

Her q is hard to land. But once you get used to it its not too bad. I find the best way to land it is to either aa with tidecaller (for slow) then follow up with it, or to plant her q where they would be when they come to take a last hit (at my level, most ad's take a q to get the cs :P ) so it works out quite well.

Her ult is pretty slow, so if it's getting used to initiate then I always try to land q first, so her ult can't be dodged (easier said then done sometimes). Imo its best if not used to start fights because it is so easily dodged.

I mostly play the ranged supports, out of all of them I found Nami to take the most time to get used to.

----------------------------------------------

I would highly recommend lulu. If you can land lulu's q's you can dominate most lanes - her q outrages most supports abilities. I wouldn't pick her into soraka - she'll sustain threw lulu's harass, but she does quite well vs sona and taric (you have to land q's to do well vs sona or she'll poke you down). She's also quite fun, and I found her much easier/faster to get the hang of then nami.

-----------------------------------------

If you like playing a lot of blitz leona is a pretty good pick for you. She's very aggressive, and for the most part has the same weaknesses in lane as blitz. But as mentioned I do think she requires a higher level of coordination between you and your carry. She does quite well vs soraka, and sona also.

-----------------------------------------

Based on you playing blitz, and the supports you see often in your games, I would recommend leona, or lulu. Nami's fun too though

Drekor

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazenby View Post
You're doing it wrong...

Nami is the most well rounded and probably most useful pure support in the game now. She has a high skill cap though. You have to learn to use her Q effectively to be any good with her. There is a certain amount of timing to it.

She can get out of most fights when enemies try to target her by using her kit correctly and she most certainly creates winning trade situations in lane and in team fights.

I tend to invest in CDR and I take Clarity and Flash as my summoners. I level Q first because it does more damage. My first three core items are almost always Philo, Sightstone and Ionian Boots.

She can be just as aggressive in lane as you want her to be. She tends to struggle against really long range ADC's like Caitlin. I consistently beat Blitzcranks in lane with her.

Do not pick her against a super aggressive bot lane like fiddle support or volibear.

I like playing her most with Draven and Tristana.
I disagree. Her kit isn't very impressive. She doesn't have a high skill cap(perhaps high skill floor).The major issue is everything is in Nami's CDs. Once she's casted everything she's effectively wortheless. With 10/9/11s CDs on her main spells there is a lot of downtime in there where she basically does nothing but auto attack.

When you look at someone like say Taric, he has a passive armor buff to his whole team. Using his ult grants big AP and AD bonuses to his team(not restricted to 3 attacks). He can deal AoE damage and shred enemy armor(more damage for your team!). Really if he walks in hits W on the enemy team then hits R and stands beside his team he is being immensely powerful. He also has a pretty decent heal and a long range, non-skill shot 1.5s stun.

Nami requires so much skill to play and so much coordination because her kit is bad and it takes a lot of skill to make up for it.

Undtoromeso

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zraven7 View Post
You have to read the opponent, and judge his moves. Her q involves leading the target. it takes skill and time to learn.
Her Q makes a big circle that someone with high movespeed can walk across without getting stunned. There's no amount of reading your opponent that will make up for being a second late to the punch. Anything you can read from his moves, he'll read from that easily dodgeable circle on the ground only he'll have a real kit.

DeathInvoker

01-07-2013

Nami is awesome. Yeah, it has a high skill cap compared to the other supports lioke Sona or Blitzcrank, and can be difficult to use if you don't have proper communication with your carry, but I find her very fun and a great support.

Surging Tides is good for escapes and moving faster, but the increase is not so good, as well as the duration. However, it can save your life or your teammate's in a gank or teamfight. Combine it with a Shurelya's Reverie for tons of speed!

Aqua Prison is the reason why everyone thinks Nami sucks, but have you tried to use it wisely? Aim on your enemy escape way, use Tidecaller's Blessing or anything that slows to aim better, or even Flash and throw your bubble. If both you and the ADC help, you'll deal heavy damage in a blink. Also, it can be pretty good on teamfights, especially if you get many high-priority targets.

Ebb and Flow is your main heal and poke, at the same time. Aim it to both damage enemies and heal your allies. Ah, and every level increases the heal/damage by a good amount, but also increases its mana cost, so don't overuse it. Like Aqua Prison, this ability shines on teamfights, allowing you to both heal and damage in safe range.

Tidecaller's Blessing... is very good, but few carries give it a good use (it's barely seen, after all): the good carry will annoy its foe with it, the bad carry will just stand still. The key is mainly using it when chasing or to use Aqua Prison, as your ADC will have a speed boost (Surging Tides FTW) and will slow his/her target. Its low CD will make it your main skill to trigger Surging Tides and moving (kinda) faster.

And your ult, Tidal Wave, is hard to aim and its a bit slow, but it can be very useful when initiating teamfights or escaping. Aim it at, if possible, all your enemies, and ping your allies to give them the signal to attack (you don't want them to stand still like many teammates!). When ganked, this ability is very good too. Just aim, and use Tidecaller's, Shurelya's or Flash to get away, and you are safe.

I find her very useful with carries like Varus (just stun successfully and Varus will do the rest) and Draven (give priority to Tidecaller's, and see how your Draven melts foes with his Spinning Axes), and she can perfectly give a nice challenge to any lane (beaten three SonaEzreal with NamiVarus).

So resuming, Do I recommend Nami? Of course. It'll take some time to get used to Nami´s skills (both its usefulness and cooldowns), but once you understand them, supporting as her will be much easier. Try to test her if you can, and if you like her, go and buy her. If you don't (and seeing you like Blitzcrank), you can go for Zyra instead.

Camel Scary

01-07-2013

The statement below is false.
The statement above is true.

Cerulean Laser

01-07-2013

Nami is amazing and if anyone tell you other wise don't believe them.....

KrazyKastingKid

06-04-2013

yes she is i went 2/1/31 in a game