Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

RFC (Request for Comments): Rammus Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MeanBean

12-03-2009

I think your build is pretty solid. I would make one small change and thats to swap the order you get sunfire cape and frozen heart. The earlier you get the cape the more it will farm for you. Not to mention that it will probably do more damage in fights than the cooldown reduction from frozen heart will.

Oh, and I will also say I cringe at your lack of powerballing

Stonehenge

12-03-2009

Get skills depending on what you're laning against. If you're laning vs. 2 melee pushers get taunt early, since you'll be able to tower kill them. Vs ranged, it's not that useful, so powerball/curl might be better.

Thormax

12-03-2009

What i think everyone keeps forgetting about rammus is his passive is 25% of armor goes into damage, so the more armor you stack the more damage you do, the higher your survivability. I don't think Rammus needs mana regen because he harasses but IMO isn't supposed to harass considering early game he is quite squishy (depending on the build you go of course). Remember your a tank first and foremost, even though a good rammus can and usually will get kills. I also think you HAVE to get frozen heart with rammus as one of the first actual item's you build because with that his Ulti is on a 46 second (or something very close to that) CD so you can afford to abuse it, And with the mana from frozen heart you can spam skills without caring about it. Rammus early game runs out of mana so just get his mana pool up that honestly works.

Stonehenge

12-03-2009

Quote:
Thormax:
What i think everyone keeps forgetting about rammus is his passive is 25% of armor goes into damage, so the more armor you stack the more damage you do, the higher your survivability. I don't think Rammus needs mana regen because he harasses but IMO isn't supposed to harass considering early game he is quite squishy (depending on the build you go of course). Remember your a tank first and foremost, even though a good rammus can and usually will get kills. I also think you HAVE to get frozen heart with rammus as one of the first actual item's you build because with that his Ulti is on a 46 second (or something very close to that) CD so you can afford to abuse it, And with the mana from frozen heart you can spam skills without caring about it. Rammus early game runs out of mana so just get his mana pool up that honestly works.

Rammus buys chalice early game and doesn't have mana problems. Plus, getting frozen heart for the sake of the ulti is bad. And about Rammus not harrasing... Pair up with Fiddle and you've got a pretty much guaranteed double kill at the start of the game.

Thormax

12-03-2009

Quote:
Stonehenge:
Rammus buys chalice early game and doesn't have mana problems. Plus, getting frozen heart for the sake of the ulti is bad. And about Rammus not harrasing... Pair up with Fiddle and you've got a pretty much guaranteed double kill at the start of the game.

Not only for the sake of Ulti also for the sake of taunt, for the sake of the +500 mana, for the fact that it's the single highest armor item +110. Chalice doesn't build into anything useful for rammus, IMO it's a waste of gold and time for him. If your fighting a decent player they wont get close enough for you to constently blow your mana on taunts, and powerballs. only thing you might end up blowing your mana on is on ulti, but that's not till lvl 6, and if you don't go frozen heart that will be AT best used ever 60 seconds. Plus if your fighting vs people who are ranged or just over all good at harassing what are you going to do them with all your mana regen with all your extremely close ranged spells? With my my build you don't have to lane with a specific charactor just someone who can harass or deal high dps just to make sure you can farm minions without getting harassed.

MeanBean

12-03-2009

Quote:
Thormax:

Blindly stacking armor simply because of his passive is a poor build. You should adapt to your opposing team instead.

You saying that rammus is not supposed to harrass is just horrible advice. Any champ should harrass given the opportunity. Rammus is not squishy compared to other champs at all. Its just that all low level champs feel fragile compared to what you are used to in mid- and lategame. Rammus should be played offensively during the laning unless you are facing champs you simply cant get close to, like morgana, twisted fate, fiddle etc.

Also, frozen heart is not a good suggestion to solve his early game mana issues. Have you seen the cost of this item? Rammus should get a simple mana regen item early like chalice or philostone, then get his boots upgraded. At this point he should probably consider his hp and make something like aegis or sunfire cape.

Thormax

12-03-2009

Quote:
MeanBean:
Blindly stacking armor simply because of his passive is a poor build. You should adapt to your opposing team instead.

You saying that rammus is not supposed to harrass is just horrible advice. Any champ should harrass given the opportunity. Rammus is not squishy compared to other champs at all. Its just that all low level champs feel fragile compared to what you are used to in mid- and lategame. Rammus should be played offensively during the laning unless you are facing champs you simply cant get close to, like morgana, twisted fate, fiddle etc.

Also, frozen heart is not a good suggestion to solve his early game mana issues. Have you seen the cost of this item? Rammus should get a simple mana regen item early like chalice or philostone, then get his boots upgraded. At this point he should probably consider his hp and make something like aegis or sunfire cape.

I understand he's supposed to harass if given the chance, but explain to me which of his skills are you going to be contently using to harass (which would warrant mana regen) against a champion that stands outside of taunt range and behind minions just in case you want to try and powerball them?

MeanBean

12-03-2009

If you lane against other melee champs that need to get close in order to last hit, then you level powerball and taunt. Get a taunt off on him when he is trying to last hit, then move up and powerball him backwards. I think powerball does 150-200-250-300-350 damage, which is actually respectable considering it slows as well. If they never gets close enough for you to taunt, then you are preventing them last hits. Either way it works.

Stonehenge

12-03-2009

Quote:
Thormax:
Not only for the sake of Ulti also for the sake of taunt, for the sake of the +500 mana, for the fact that it's the single highest armor item +110. Chalice doesn't build into anything useful for rammus, IMO it's a waste of gold and time for him. If your fighting a decent player they wont get close enough for you to constently blow your mana on taunts, and powerballs. only thing you might end up blowing your mana on is on ulti, but that's not till lvl 6, and if you don't go frozen heart that will be AT best used ever 60 seconds. Plus if your fighting vs people who are ranged or just over all good at harassing what are you going to do them with all your mana regen with all your extremely close ranged spells? With my my build you don't have to lane with a specific charactor just someone who can harass or deal high dps just to make sure you can farm minions without getting harassed.

Chalice also provides magic resist, which is invaluable as a tank, plus, over the course of the game, you're gonna get more mana from chalice regen than from the static amount from Frozen Heart. I never said FH was a bad item, but getting it so early in the game is hard since it costs alot. I also never said to lane with a specific character, just pointing out that it's rather easy to get easy kills early in the game with Rammus, especially when combined with some heroes.

ColdBlooded

Recruiter

12-04-2009

i stopped getting regrowth pendant as the first item and started getting doran's shield as the first item. i've never built philosophers / warmog / force of nature with rammus, so i view doran's as a better starting item.

second item is definitely chalice

third is boots - merc usually, and ninja tabi if they're physical dps carry-heavy.

from there it's dependent on the matchup... I'll only sneak a guardian's angel in there if we are dominating considering its cost. else i'll get a sunfire. I've tried tinkering with leviathan, but it needs more testing.

FH / thornmail / banshee / aegis are all possible.