~ Marion, the Majestic Puppeteer (Refined) ~

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExjK

01-06-2013

Here is the original thread where I first posted about this concept.
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2971895

Credit for the concept

ExjK: Kit design/detailing.

Sprocketduck: Skill refinement.

Jarzelia: Skill refinement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marion the Majestic Puppeteer

Background

The Art of Puppetry has long since been forgotten by the citizens of Valoran during the Rune Wars. It is seldomly spoke of by elders who tell their grandchildren stories of live Puppet Masters they saw in their youth who performed with wooden puppets that they created. What many don't know is that there was a group of powerful people that knew the art and began magical experiments on the puppets. Eventually they were able to control the puppets without using strings and could will them to perform a wide spectrum of menial tasks. Shortly after this newly refined magical art was discovered, people learned how to control others as if they were puppets. Paranoia began to spread throughout Valoran's elite, hardly anyone could be trusted because no one really knew who was pulling the "strings"...

Anyone suspicious of using the Art of Puppetry to control people were sentenced to death. One man in particular named (TBD), managed to avoid judgement and found refuge in the subterranean city level of Noxus. He met a woman with whom he shared his passion for Puppetry and Magic, they settled down and didn't leave Noxus. In the following years, the Art of Puppetry was lost because no one wanted to look suspicious for fear of being sentenced to their death. (TBD) had a son named Marion. Marion learned the Art of Puppetry at an early age but was taught never to use it in public or on people. When the Rune Wars happened, (TBD) left his family for Demacia to rejoin the military ranks never to return. Marion spent the following years in solitude refining his skills in the Art of Puppetry using the Puppets that his father crafted. One man witnessed Marion's Puppets and threatened to tell the High Command, that man later committed suicide on the streets of Noxus...

After the war settled, Marion heard rumors about powerful people using the Art of Puppetry in an organization called the League of Legends. He thought maybe his father is still alive and involved with the Institute of War. Marion spent years training with his Puppets and learning about champions in the League before setting his sights on the Institute. He wanted to find his father and figured the League of Legends was the best place to start, the next day he left Noxus and traveled to the Institute of War. He arrived only to learn that his father was not involved with the Institute, however the High Council of Equity saw promise in this young Summoner. He was asked to submit to the League of Legends, in return they offered him the opportunity to find out what really happened to his father.

"He appeared before me surrounded by 5 seemingly alive puppets. They glared at me briefly and the next thing I knew my body was being controlled by what felt like...strings..."

Stats

Health - (415 + 90/level)
Mana - (235 + 50/level)
Armor - (10 + 2.5/level)
Magic Resist - (20)
HP Regen - (5 + .5/level)
MP Regen - (6.5 + .75/level)
AD - (65 + 3.5/level)
AS - (.625 + 2.5%/level)
Range - (500)
Move Speed - (340)

Skills

*** Only 1 Puppet can be spawned per skill point you have in Q/W. ***
*** Maximum of 5 Puppets can be out at a time! ***

(Passive) Puppet Master's Embrace - Range: (1150) Stacks: (Up to 5)

Enemy Champions: Gain 1 "Puppet Master's Embrace" stack every 10 seconds that acts as a debuff reducing armor by 1/1.5/2.5/4/6 and magic resist by 1/1.5/2.5/4/6 (Stacks are lost every 2 seconds when out of range).

Self: Gains 1 stack of "Puppet Master's Embrace" for each stack enemy champions have that acts as a buff increasing armor by 1/1.5/2.5/4/6 and magic resist by 1/1.5/2.5/4/6 (Stacks are lost every 2 seconds when out of range).

(Q) Noxian Puppetry - Mana Cost: (40/55/70/85/90) Cooldown: (15/14/13/12/11) Range: (1000)

Passive: The Puppet Master radiates with power increasing his ability power by 3/6/9/12/15 and mana regen by .5/1/1.5/2/2.5. This effect is halved for allied champions and puppets within 400/550/700/850/1000 range.

Target Self: Spawns a ranged AP puppet beside you until destroyed that receives 1% increased base stats per stack of "Puppet Master's Embrace" on Marion when cast. Puppet attacks nearby enemies (prioritizes champions) and will teleport back to you when out of 400/550/700/850/1000 range.

Target Enemy: Reduces targets ability power by -3/-6/-9/-12/-15 and mana regeneration by -0.5/-1/-1.5/-2/-2.5 for 2/4/6/8/10 seconds. Effect is increased by 1% per "Puppet Master's Embrace" stack on the target when cast.

(W) Demacian Puppetry - Mana Cost: (40/55/70/85/90) Cooldown: (15/14/13/12/11) Range: (1000)

Passive: The Puppet Master radiates with power increasing his attack damage by 3/6/9/12/15 and health regen by .5/1/1.5/2/2.5. This effect is halved for allied champions and puppets within 400/550/700/850/1000 range.

Target Self (Consumes 1 control stack): Spawns a melee AD puppet beside you until destroyed that receives 1% increased base stats per "Puppet Master's Embrace" stack on Marion when cast. Puppet attacks nearby enemies (prioritizes champions) and will teleport back to you when out of 400/550/700/850/1000 range.

Target Enemy (Consumes 1 control stack): Reduces targets attack damage by -3/-6/-9/-12/-15 and health regeneration by -0.5/-1/-1.5/-2/-2.5 for 2/4/6/8/10 seconds. Effect is increased by 1% per "Puppet Master's Embrace" stack on the target when cast.

(E) Sinister Puppeteer - Mana Cost: (65/80/95/110/125) Cooldown: (25/24/23/22/21) Range: (1250)

Target Enemy: Induces target enemy with feelings of despair causing 50/100/150/200/250 (+60% AP) magic damage and reducing their sight radius for 1/2/3/4/5 seconds (Puppet Master and Puppets are still visible to the target). Effect is increased by 1% per "Puppet Master's Embrace" stack on the target when cast.

(R) Puppet Master's Will - Mana Cost: (100/100/100) Cooldown: (180/140/100) Range: (1750)

Target Enemy: Through sheer force of will, target becomes your puppet that you can control (similar to controlling shaco clone/viktor ult etc) for 2/2.5/3 seconds dealing 100/175/250 (+100% AP) magic damage over 2/2.5/3 seconds or until dispelled (QSS/Olaf ult/cleanse) (Cooldown reduced if dispelled early).

Puppets

Ranged AP - Gold Reward: (20 + .75/3 min) Health: (300 + 25/3 min) Mana: (150) Range: (600) Armor: (0 + 1.2/3 min) Magic Resist: (0 + 2/3 min) Attack Speed: (.6/.7/.8/.9/1) Move Speed: (310/320/330/340/350) Magic Damage: (40/45/50/55/60)

Melee AD - Gold Reward: (25 + .75/3 min) Health: (475 + 25/3 min) Mana: (0) Range: (100) Armor: (0 + 2/3min) Magic Resist: (0 + 1.25/3 min) Attack Speed: (1/1.2/1.3/1.4/1.5) Move Speed: (310/320/330/340/350) Attack Damage: (30/35/40/45/50)

Gameplay

Marion is designed to be a support-style champion that focuses more on debuffing enemies, dealing minimal damage with puppets and manipulating situations on the Fields of Justice.

When playing as Marion you learn to utilize your "Puppet Master's Embrace" stacks in order to maximize puppets/debuffs with Q and W, single out enemies with E and then passively reduce their armor and mr with each idle stack. A max of 5 puppets are allowed to be out at once making for some interesting player choices in terms of how many AD vs AP puppets are spawned. Marion's Q and W passively provide 50% of their effects on Puppets and allies within range as well. It gives players the option to experiment with several builds and strategies based on the role they decide to fill. Since "Control" also stacks on enemies, it allows the player to choose whether he wants to use them for Q, W or E offensively. Aside from the many interesting plays and counter plays this could bring to the game, what is most notable about Marion is his R. To this date we have never seen a mechanic that works similar to Shaco's Clone, Viktor's R or Annie's Tibbers...being used on enemy champions as a skill. Your initial reaction might be that it would be too powerful, being able to control an enemy. While I agree there is a fine line between a balanced skill and a game-breakingly OP skill, I think this type of mechanic can work.

I want you to consider Rammus's Taunt, Malzahar's Ult and Fiddle's fear for a moment. These crowd control mechanics are designed to impact players in their own unique way on both sides of the skill. The same would go for Marion's Ult; as soon as it's cast the player can control which direction their target is moving/facing by positioning the cursor and pressing R. The target on the receiving end will feel almost the same as being silenced, they cannot use their abilities and will only auto attack nearby enemies for the duration. The only difference is that Marion controls you for that brief moment. Imagine the types of plays! Cassiopia comes running into the fight ready to ult, the enemy Ezreal turns to run away to avoid being stunned...but the Marion uses R forcing him to turn back around! Cassiopia gets the stun and oh what a great play it is!

I can sit here talking about many different ways this ultimate could be effective for your team, but now I want to talk about playing against Marion. Aside from the passive debuffs that stack on you when he's around, you have to deal with his puppets! They are not much tougher than the lane minions, they reward gold when destroyed (counts towards cs) and you can build resistances against them based on their type! This makes it so that it's balanced for people on the receiving end, as well as fairly rewarding if you take advantage of the gold his puppets give you when destroyed. The only skills you would have to learn to counter/deal with are his E and R, the E is basically a miniature Nocturne Ultimate effect that reduces your sight radius. The only one you can see while this effect is happening is Marion, his Puppets...and you. Once you learn that Marion will use it strategically to isolate you from your team, you can learn to properly bait it and gain the advantage. His ultimate is the same way, if you keep your distance and engage properly his ultimate won't be very effective. However if he catches you out of position or alone...Marion will take control of your champion and force you to embrace your fate!

Edit 1
~ Changed the health values for both Puppets. The AP is similar to the big Wraith and the AD is similar to the big Wolf.
~ Also changed the gold rewards to compensate.

Edit 2
~ Added a mechanic rule that states, "Only 1 Puppet can be spawned per skill point you have in Q/W.". This means that if you have 1 point in Q and 3 in W, only 1 ap and 3 ad puppets may be out at any time.

Edit 3
~ Passive now stacks on Marion according to how many enemy champions are affected by Puppet Masters Embrace (still stacks up to 5 times).
~ Q, W and E effects now also scale by +1% per stack on target (e.g. If Marion has 3 stacks and he Q's himself, the Puppet will have a 3% increase in base stats).
~ Reduced the base health and gold reward of Puppets to compensate.
~ Removed the "consumes 5 stacks" effect on E. Effects are also increased by +1% per stack on enemy target.

ExjK

01-06-2013

If anyone is interested in drawing up art concepts of this champion, I would love to attach them!
None of the information in this thread is completely set in stone. I mainly filled in all of the blanks so that people can get a real idea about this champion. I look forward to all the feedback!

Hammsuke

01-06-2013

do the debuffs stack like the ad debuffs stacks on another ad debuff and also they shouldnt last until killed bcz that make yorick sad

ExjK

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammsuke View Post
do the debuffs stack like the ad debuffs stacks on another ad debuff and also they shouldnt last until killed bcz that make yorick sad
Edit - Did you mean to ask if Marion's debuffs stack with other debuff effects from items/champions? Theoretically, yes! That's part of the strategy, you can choose specific team comps and build items around Marion. For example, his passive reduces your armor/magic resist per stack. You or someone on your team can buy Aegis of the Legion/Runic Bulkwark to mitigate that debuff. Some champions even have skills or passives that naturally mitigate that debuff (e.g. Fizz), therefore he can be countered all the same.

Passive - Every 10 seconds that you're within 1000 range of Marion, you gain 1 "control" debuff. This debuff reduces your armor and magic resist. This can stack up to 5 times on any enemy champion within range, so naturally every stack increases the effectiveness of the debuff. If a debuffed champion leaves range, he will lose 1 stack every 2 seconds.

Q + Target Enemy - Places a debuff reducing ap and mana regen (scales with levels).

W + Target Enemy - Places a debuff reducing ad and health regen (scales with levels).

You can use Q and W on the same champion if you want. You cannot use either Q or W more than once on an enemy because by the time the skills cooldown is finished, the debuff will have expired.

This promotes a high skill cap because players can learn which targets to debuff at which times to make the best of a play.

Poor Yorick. >.<

I honestly think that Yorick is still fairly strong by comparison. He can build super tanky, do a lot of damage with auto attacks and use his ghouls often (not to mention he can ult himself). Whereas Marion is not so tanky, does minimal ad/ap without Puppets and solely relies on his Puppets being "meat shields" so that he can place ad/ap debuffs and combo his E / R. A smart Yorick would avoid Marion's Puppets and nuke him down. If anything he would send a ghoul in to distract the Puppets and dive on Marion.

DerkaDurr

01-06-2013

Cool

parnellyx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-06-2013

I always ltried to think of a puppet master concept. The one thing i would love to see is to make his ultimate- Marion attaches strings to all nearby enemies pulling them towards him and dealing damage(Like Diana E)

ExjK

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnellyx View Post
I always ltried to think of a puppet master concept. The one thing i would love to see is to make his ultimate- Marion attaches strings to all nearby enemies pulling them towards him and dealing damage(Like Diana E)
I thought a lot about a different variety of skills that fit the "Puppet Master" type of theme, one of the things that stuck in my head was the idea of strings. If you read the background information I included, I use strings to describe the feeling people got when under Marion's control. In the story, people began using magic to experiment with the Art of Puppetry. Therefore using physical strings to control puppets was considered primitive. People then began to use the art for their own gain by controlling people of royal, noble and political influence. All forms of Puppetry were then shunned by society, people thought to be suspicious of controlling others using the art were sentenced to death.

Since Runeterra is a world of magic I thought it wouldn't be appropriate to design this champion around the actual use of strings as a skill. I was thinking though that Marion's auto attack animation could be some sort of metaphysical string that gets pulled away from the target every time he attacks...but that was just a thought. =)

OlyGam Sprocket

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExjK View Post
The Art of Puppetry has long since been forgotten by the citizens of Valoran during the Rune Wars. It is seldomly spoke of by elders who tell their grandchildren stories of live Puppet Masters they saw in their youth who performed with wooden puppets that they created. What many don't know is that there was a group of powerful people that knew the art and began magical experiments on the puppets. Eventually they were able to control the puppets without using strings and could will them to perform a wide spectrum of menial tasks. Shortly after this newly refined magical art was discovered, people learned how to control others as if they were puppets. Paranoia began to spread throughout Valoran's elite, hardly anyone could be trusted because no one really knew who was pulling the "strings"...

Anyone suspicious of using the Art of Puppetry to control people were sentenced to death. One man in particular named (TBD), managed to avoid judgement and found refuge in the subterranean city level of Noxus. He met a woman with whom he shared his passion for Puppetry and Magic, they settled down and didn't leave Noxus. In the following years, the Art of Puppetry was lost because no one wanted to look suspicious for fear of being sentenced to their death. (TBD) had a son named Marion. Marion learned the Art of Puppetry at an early age but was taught never to use it in public or on people. When the Rune Wars happened, (TBD) left his family for Demacia to rejoin the military ranks never to return. Marion spent the following years in solitude refining his skills in the Art of Puppetry using the Puppets that his father crafted. One man witnessed Marion's Puppets and threatened to tell the High Command, that man later committed suicide on the streets of Noxus...

After the war settled, Marion heard rumors about powerful people using the Art of Puppetry in an organization called the League of Legends. He thought maybe his father is still alive and involved with the Institute of War. Marion spent years training with his Puppets and learning about champions in the League before setting his sights on the Institute. He wanted to find his father and figured the League of Legends was the best place to start, the next day he left Noxus and traveled to the Institute of War. He arrived only to learn that his father was not involved with the Institute, however the High Council of Equity saw promise in this young Summoner. He was asked to submit to the League of Legends, in return they offered him the opportunity to find out what really happened to his father.

"He appeared before me surrounded by 5 seemingly alive puppets. They glared at me briefly and the next thing I know my body was being controlled by what felt like...strings..."
Very, very nice Lore and Background. Impeccable...

ExjK

01-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocketduck View Post
Very, very nice Lore and Background. Impeccable...
Thanks!

The story is based on the idea that wooden puppets and puppetry was normal in society. When people started experimenting with puppets and magic, they learned how to control other people and that caused conflicts among the city-states and governments. It may have been responsible for the rise of the Rune Wars, after the war ended the Noxian High Command and Demacian council came to a truce and decided that that kind of power needs to be regulated. That's when the League of Legends and Institute of War were founded. Normal society doesn't use puppets, only those who aspire to be "summoners" could ever truly learn the art. Only 1 man was able to learn outside the government, and that was by this champion's father who left the military when they were killing people that knew the art. This champion never saw his father after he left for the Rune Wars, then he found hope when the League of Legends started. He knew that the League used this "Art of Puppetry" when controlling champions. He joins the league looking for his father.

By no means is anything I included in the story accurate to the history Riot has included with the lore. I came with with the ideas on my own to make sense with how this champion could fit, that is all.

IS13584a87bd9cdc4a80da2

01-07-2013

His skills seem to have a lot of range for targeted spells, specially his ultimate. Not sure how it would work in game though.

Can you give your feedback on my champ, please?
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...0#post33217970