[Riot - New idea] Role Selection and the Queue

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zaggath

01-05-2013

Dear Riot,

Many of the MMO's include a dungeon finder type tool. To use it you select the role you want to queue for and then off you go. Ex Tank toons select the tank role, healer toons select the healing role and damage dealers select the damage role. This ensures a solid team comp going into the dungeon.

The last MMO I played was Tera, sadly it didnt do so well, but it's a good example to use.
There are two healing classes, mystic and priest. Priests dominated the healing scene but mystics were still played. When you got queued with a mystic, it was a little let down. The instance was harder but you could still do it.
In order to avoid setting the meta in stone by having only 5 options, I propose allowing lots of different queues. Perhaps divided into basic and advanced roles, to help the new player.
Some examples of basic roles would be your 5 general roles played currently.
Advanced roles, which could allow for future meta changes, would include:
AP/AD in front of every basic role, for more specifics. You could use this in match making to create two viable teams, but mask it when in champ select. (To avoid seperating the experienced players from the new players, by looking at their queue categord selection (Basic/advanced)
More roles:
Counter Jungle
Kill Lane support
Melee ADC
...Insert what ever future meta develops

Additionally, there should be a random function. Random Basic, Random Advanced, Random All.

Once inside champ select, the pick order should still be random. You should still be able to select any champ you want and trade at the end as normal. The role selection should be clearly visible to only the friendly team.

Lastly, a report feature with tribunal support to catch the trolls. Knowing which role the summoner signed up for and pre game chat would be a huge addition to resolving tribunal cases.

There seems to be a battle in draft, on the two sides are the "draft order is supreme" folk and the "I called it first" folk. This really makes champ selection hell and leads to some really bad games.

As new summoners start playing they do not have the proper runes to fill every role perfectly.

If you want to follow the big name teams and emulate them, they all say to specialize in one role. It's hard to do this when you can only play the role occasionally.

nhart

01-05-2013

This idea has been suggested a lot of times. This thread puts all of the suggestions and arguments with it together
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2744432

Zaggath

01-05-2013

NIfty, sad to see nothings come of all those posts

Charcole

01-05-2013

The reason nothing comes of this, is it ruins the game and disallows creativity. Where does it say you have to have only 1 mid, 1 top, 2 bot, and 1 jungle? I've seen double jungle teams wreck the opponent. I've seen double top work, I've even seen triple mid work out against my team.

Zaggath

Zaggath

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcole View Post
The reason nothing comes of this, is it ruins the game and disallows creativity. Where does it say you have to have only 1 mid, 1 top, 2 bot, and 1 jungle? I've seen double jungle teams wreck the opponent. I've seen double top work, I've even seen triple mid work out against my team.
I'd agree with that a bit. If you look back over the years at the various "stages" of the meta in LOL it has been evolving, not changing. This game evolved from dota, and even back then you had a similar meta, 1 top, 1 jungle, 1 mid, 2 bottom. There is not much creativity when it comes to distributing resources as efficiently as possible.

To your point, I've been in all of those types of games also, some are borne of trolls and some were in 5v5 team games where a team just wanted to throw away the meta and YOLO it. When they added draft mode it was pretty neat, I would take it a step further and add a third mode to accomplish this change. Perhaps names something like Role Selected Draft.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaggath View Post
Childish.
But not overwhelmingly redundant.

Zaggath

01-05-2013

I dont know why you keep posting here. I'm sorry you feel jealousy or what ever the motivation is for your continued angry posts. Please go away and just ignore this thread.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

01-05-2013

Jealousy? My thread is the 21-pager with plenty of upvotes on the original post... not yours.