Competition Ruling: DQs of Unstoppable, Nubbypoohbear, Zekent and ROBERTxLEE

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UODK

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxie View Post
Someone mentioned this on Reddit, and I'm now really curious if Riot will implement it, in light of this:

Is it possible to have the spectator client pause as soon as the actual game is paused? As in, the spectator pause is 3 minutes behind, and doesn't start until the game is unpaused (and passes over the paused section like it didn't exist).
I am sure they will have to do something.. but that would likely take a major code overhaul.

The easiest and cleanest way to the spectator was just a live stream that's always 3 mins behind... In other words the stream starts 3 mins after the live game.. and it constantly streams the live game. Pretty basic, safe and easy.

As a programmer I can see 2 major issues riot "could" have with this type of a change.

1) More work. Right now its easy. Stream Game X, set the game delay to 3 mins... stream. With this idea they have to add a lot of logic. Let's walk through a scenario.

A) Players enter champ select. 3 mins later the game is open for spectators to watch.
B) Game starts. 10 mins into the stream(not the game clock.. the whole stream) a pause happens.
C) Game client send request to spectator client to initiate a stop/pause to stream and spectators are "locked" at the 7 min stream mark.
D) Game is paused for 10 mins. The stream is now a total of 20 mins long, but the spectator is still at the 7 min mark as the stream itself had to be "paused/stopped."
E) At the 20 min stream time mark the game is unpaused.
F) Client sends request to spectator client to resume stream.
G) Stream keeps going at the 7 min mark(they have 3 mins of game to watch before they reach the actual pause point). Therefore the stream is actually 13 mins behind.
H) (this is where it gets tricky) Since the pause happened at the 10 min stream mark, when the spectator mode gets to that pause point, to return back to the 3 min delay, it would need to skip X mins(where X was the length of the pause, in this case 10).
I) Since the streamers had to watch the action from 7:00 - 10:00(which is 3 mins), when the streamers reach the 10:00 mark(where the pause happened) the live stream is at 23:00 mins. The spectator initiates the "fast forward" to (current time(10:00) + X(pause length 10:00) 20:00(the live game is currently at 23:00.

The things in bold and underline are pieces of logic that the game doesn't have to do currently. They would have to create a link between the live client and the stream to be able to tell it to pause/unpause, create a timer to know how long the pause was, record what time the pause happened(so they know when to fast forward), have a service that polls the stream to see what time it is currently at(so it knows when it reaches the point where it needs to fast forward), make the service apply the fast forward sequence by the interval of the pause length recorded.

That's a LOT to add, just to fix this 1 issue. They have password protected game and you can restrict spectating in this way(or turn it off all together). The time, effort and cost(in programmers hours) to do all of these for the sake of fixing this is unlikely when other alternatives exist.

2) If you did this suggestion, then(as stated above) you would have to add logic to the live game client to say "If the game is paused... send a request to temporarily stop/pause the spectator stream." Here you are creating a actual link between the 2 modes. This is bad. Currently the 2 modes have nothing to do with each-other. Nothing about the spectator client could cause real games to bug, glitch or fail. If you create a link(Have Client A tell Client B to stop.....and/or.... Have Client A tell Client B to start again) then you have a potential for a bug in the spectator client to potentially break the live game if it becomes unavailable or non-responsive during a pause.

Just my thoughts...

0rijinal

01-04-2013

I guess only Azubu Frost is allowed to cheat and anyone can only cheat when 1mill is on the line.

Numot

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanicide View Post
I'm not sure what is worse, the fact that they did it or the fact that they were able to get away with it in a tournament setting. -.-
Whats worse is they still lost the game.

Akitu

01-04-2013

Zekent broke my heart after winning it over with his awesome Poppyness.

Many tears were shed on this day.

Bookmarking this thread for reference in S3 world finals when someone else cheats and gets 20% of their prize money taken away again instead of a proper punishment like this.

ZapatillaLoca

01-04-2013

sadly, when there is a lot of money at stake people will lower themselves to do what ever it takes...

Sarretth

01-04-2013

I find it funny how you bring punishment on people for ghosting about wards placements and such, but when it comes to spectator mode for ranked 5's solo/duo que games where friends can watch their friends games and give them information on jungle camp respawns, dragon/baron timers this has yet to be fixed. I myself have been in a few games where this has affected me. I don't see how you think bringing judgement on something you having fixed can be called correct.

coffee addict

01-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFxFireBlaze View Post
GJ Riot cheating on an online qualifier effectively screwed for the season, cheating at your major championship next to no penalty.

You guys really are a riot to watch make horrendous decisions.

I don't know what you're paid to do your job to manage esports areas but you're paid WAY too much.
the cheating that happened at world's is mostly riot's fault for setting the stage up that way... none of that was premeditated

what these guys did however was premeditated and thus a more serious issue

iBluestone

01-04-2013

So this is good for Cruz, right?

And it was K

01-04-2013

While we're promoting healthy competition, how about you guys ban Hafu for elo boosting?

TT Dreadnaught

01-04-2013

Woah buddy, DQ from two tourneys and able to come back later in the season and play.
Meanwhile IWD is banned for calling people noobs for a whole year.

Is this a real thing Riot