Flat or Leveled Runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Siegfryd

10-17-2010

You should get a mix of cooldown reduction ones because having them all scaling will give you a little over 40% with items while all flat won't give you 40% with items.

Prisonal

10-17-2010

It depends on the stat you are trying to boost and when you need the stat.

For instance, health is much more useful in the early game so flat HP is generally favored.

On some champs Cooldowns are needed but not until later in the game, so some people prefer cd/level on certain champs.

LordUraj

10-17-2010

I like MP/5 per level blues and yellows, and Health per level yellows (for Vlad) better than their flat counterparts. Every other rune worth using is fine with flat.

warmonkey

10-17-2010

Do the math. It varies depending on what runes you're talking about.

Generally, go with per-level runes. They usually equal the flat runes around level 4-6. There's some that equal out around level 13.. I forget which ones offhand (armor/MR quints?), but if that's the case, I go with flats.

So far as mana regen? Level, not flat. It's a difference of 2.7mp/5 less at level 1, 1.8mp/5 less at 2, and 0.9mp/5 less at 3... that's so not a big difference, and of course after level 4 you're getting much more benefit from them. Which is also when you'd be spending the most mana to harass and kill anyway, since you can't even have all 3 abilities before level 3

KalosCast

10-17-2010

Per-Level evens out at lvl 6, if I recall. I usually do survivability as flat because early-game deaths can lose you a game before the laning phase even ends. Most other things are a good scale per level.

Competence

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funster View Post
What do you guys normally use or find is more significant? The flat MP regen runes or the level based MP regen runes?
If you're going to go flat mp regen runes, you seriously are making a big mistake.

That being said, flat hp quints or similar runes where flat > per level in usefulness by a significant difference in early game should be bought as flat.

But mana regen per level is far superior to flat mana regen. Unless you're planning to win/lose before level 4.

Nybass

10-17-2010

Rune tier list for those interested.

http://runeterra.com/forums/index.php?topic=1137

So yeah, most runes worth using usually are better off flat. Exceptions being: mana regen blues and yellows, health increase/health regen/MR yellows, and AP blues. Rest are better flat, or not worth using over other options.

Private Ramirez

10-17-2010

MP5/lvl break even with flat at level 4, so those are definitely a better buy.
MR/lvl on the other hand doesn't break even until about level 10.

Just something to think about for each rune you consider.

BlahBohogun

10-17-2010

flat for early advantage, per level for mid late at least i think the sums it up

Carados

10-17-2010

Depends on the rune.

Mana regeneration and such? Leveled. Of course.

Health or cooldown reduction? Flat. Of course.