"Pure" Tanks

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IntFam

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Faced Panda View Post
Ability to initiate determines how good of a tank a champion is.
Oops. I totally forgot this one on my list. Knew I was forgetting something. That's probably the most important thing about being a tank, in fact.

Edit: I should make that more clear. It's the most important thing about carrying the TAG "tank," in my opinion. Most tanks are nothing if no one's attacking them, and short of taunting, I see no better way than by being the first one into the fray.

Nibri

10-17-2010

True Tanks > Off Tanks.

Shen, Rammus, Malphite, Alistar, Galio, Gragas, Mordekaiser, Nunu, Nasus, Garen.

In that order.

AbyssalTerror

10-18-2010

Garen is not a tank. He is Chuck Norris himself. That is all.

Lorifel

10-18-2010

I think tanks are champions (and summoners behind them!) capable of doing those things:

• Initiation. Being capable to start teamfights in favour for your team. Like Malpite's Ulti, Xin Zhao dash+Ulti, or even Blitzcrank's ability to grab a champion to transform a future battle into 4v5.
  • Ability to keep squishy teammates away from danger (mostly by different kinds of Crowd Control). Taunts, AOE stauns and knock-ups, silences and even slows are good for this purpose.
  • Having high survivability.
The so called "true tanks" are not so different from semi-tanks. They are just more capable for the above tasks (with the right itemisation and mindset of course).

IntFam

10-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibri View Post
True Tanks > Off Tanks.

Shen, Rammus, Malphite, Alistar, Galio, Gragas, Mordekaiser, Nunu, Nasus, Garen.

In that order.
Malphite? I understand why some one would get the impression that he was a tank, but I've never seen one build with tanking in mind, nor does he carry the tag. I always imagined that shield of his was for daring tower dives. I've only really played him once in a bot game when he was free, so I don't really know him inside and out. Care to elaborate on what you think makes him a solid tanking choice?

Lorifel

10-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibri View Post
True Tanks > Off Tanks.

In that order.
You have forgotten Amumu! *cries*
Cho'Gath may have a word with you too...

IntFam

10-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorifel View Post
You have forgotten Amumu! *cries*
Cho'Gath may have a word with you too...
I'm not so sure. Cho'Gath is clearly capable of being a tank, but I wonder about him in his current state. HP is significantly devalued in the current metagame, from what I've seen, and while he's the BOSS of tanking turrets once he eats a few creeps, I find he melts in teamfights these days. I still consider him to be a tank of sorts, but his playstyle, really, is more like a super-hybrid-tank-mage-melee carry. It's all over the place.

Lorifel

10-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntFam View Post
I'm not so sure. Cho'Gath is clearly capable of being a tank, but I wonder about him in his current state. HP is significantly devalued in the current metagame, from what I've seen, and while he's the BOSS of tanking turrets once he eats a few creeps, I find he melts in teamfights these days. I still consider him to be a tank of sorts, but his playstyle, really, is more like a super-hybrid-tank-mage-melee carry. It's all over the place.
Exactly. =)

biomorph

10-18-2010

Gah these posts just keep showing up =P

I have always held the opinion that the only "true" tanks in this game are: Rammus, Shen, Amumu because of their durability and skill set and what they can do with it. No one else comes close in my opinion.

Now the additional attribute that tends to be required for a tank, namely, the ability to protect allies Galio fits the description since he can shield allies. Galio as a tank doesn't really work in general, not in the sense of the above mentioned three stooges, and it also undermines his potential.

There are other classes that work well as tanks in practice in the sense of going in first, initiating, in other words and those are: Alistar, Singed, Malphite.

Now if you do not have any tanks there are a few durable alternatives that can - if nothing else - take point and stand in front and take initial fire those are: Mordekaiser, Taric, Cho'Gath Mundo, Garen, Nasus. However they are not considered tanks in my book at all.

There has been this notion of off-tanks and I wish people stop using that term since defining a tank is difficult enough in LoL much more so an off-tank.

Now I know there will be a few "wtf???" posts after this. I will ignore those. I will likely not read this post anymore because this topic is so watered down by now, so much it hurts.

Kinkz

10-18-2010

Pure tank = Someone who can soak up a lot of damage and force the enemy to attack them. They are also excellent initiators due to taunt and high hps/defensive skills.

Hybrid tank/off tank = Someone who can be built up as "beefy" but has no real way to force the enemy to attack him other than being a threat in some way, such as garen using judgement, amumus AoE damage. However their damage/cc is enough that they MUST be dealt with and cannot simply be ignored till the end of every teamfight.

Initiator = someone who can start a teamfight with an advantage (such as blitzcran puling someone in, a tank taunting the enemy team so your carries can beat down their carries etc)

Pure tanks:

Rammus has a single target taunt and a skill to give him a bonus 150 MR and armor to make him (short term) absolutly beastly. Rammus problem is he has low natural hps, but he can push towers faster than most tanks/hybrid tanks due to his ultimate and he can initiate better than most initiators due to his powerball.

Shen is beefier than Rammus, has a free teleport and "save" skill in his ultimate, and can taunt multiple people with his dash. He can self heal and is overall a very solid tank. Shens charge can also take him through walls etc, so its a very good escape mechanism too.

Hybrid tanks:

Malphite
: Also an excellent initiator, gets a free absorb damage shield, has a knock up CC and a charge.

Alistar: Never played him personally, but he has decent CC as Malphite does (knock up and knock away), his ulti makes him very durable but he seems to drop faster than most hybrid tanks, he is more of a hybrid support/tank.

Galio: Early game he can nuke quite well, has 2 skillshot nukes that you can time to hit at the same time, they do pretty huge damage, however, late game his best feature is his ulti. His nukes become kind of meh as you have to build hp to survive using your ulti. If you get lucky and have a purely magic damage team against you, rejoice, you can nuke and tank thanks to your passive (50%MR goes to AP).

Mordekaiser: Excellent early game, nearly unharassable if the Mord knows his stuff. Very durable due to his passive and his ulti can completely turn the tide of a team battle... bursting the enemy carry down and then having that carry as a pet for your team can be devestating. He is often focused first in fights solely because he can stand on the front lines, recharging his shield from enemy minion waves, so he is more of an opportune tank target =)

Nunu: Meh. Nunu is a one hit wonder. He has his ultimate and thats about his. Boil blood is a darn nice buff, but the ONLY thing thats tanky about this character is that people build him as a tank. He is a support with a nice ulti that people build tank items on. I only include him here at all because people will whine otherwise =).

Nasus: Great tower defender, can aoe creeps down, can then snare enemies and chase them. Ulti turns him big and grey. I dont know much about nasus. He seems to be a non threat in most games, but I just think I have never played against a good Nasus.

Garen: The 9001st child of Chuck Norris. Need i say more? Fine fine.... He has high DPS even when built as a tank and you can ALWAYS get kills with Garen due to his ulti so he also gets semi fed every game. Garen has no mana and is purely cooldown dependant, the problem with this is that when judegement is on cooldown, he has next to no dps but his stacked sunfire capes. Still, Garen is my favorite hybrid tank =), his early game is strong, his end game is strong, the only time he suffers is when a game drags on and on and the enemy carries end up with 6 killer items. Garen can iniate as long as you have built enough hps and can time your "w" well.

Chogath: Naturally beefy due to feast, has a knock up skill and an aoe silence, both of which do respectable damage. Can be built as AP, as a tank, as a carry, very flexible champion. He can also get so f***ing large u cant target anyone standing under him, so in that way maybe I should move him to a true tank! One huge positive when playing Cho gath is that you can yell NOM NOM NOM to your friends in ventrilo whenever you feast someone dead. Can initaite too due to his good CC capabilities and very high hp.

Amumu: One of my favorite hybrid tanks. His ulti is awesome, his bandage toss allows him to be an excellent initator with bandage > ulti. Sunfire cape(s) work very well with him as he has an AoE % of health removed from enemy skill so he does good dps even built as a tank (unlike garen he is always effective too).

Initiators:

Gragas:
Never played him personally, met only one good gragas in 500 games. His shoulder charge can be used to go thru walls so he has a good escape for when it gets hot. That shoulde charge can also be used very effectively to chase. His ulti is great for splitting up enemies in teamfights, or knocking someone way from their tower into your team. Imo he falls into an initiator role more than tank due to his ulti. No one has any reason to focus gragas.

Blitzcrank: An initiator who can be built beefy if you have no tank. There is nothing really tanky about him though other than his passive,which is a bit meh and is only good to save you early on from ganks.

Singed: He is hard to classify. He can be an iniator with his toss-you-over-my-shoulder move, however I see no reason why anyone would focus him in a teamfight for any reason. He usually simply built tanky, but is an iniator or the guy who covers your escapes more than anything.

Anyone with a CC, Stun, someone you built with tanking items etc.

True tanks are the only real "threat" due to taunt. Other times people need t learn that when it comes to hybrid tanks, if they are of the type that just build tanky (Nunu, Mordekaiser, listair etc.) Even if you took them down to half hp before the team fight, it still makes sense to attack their carries once the teamfight begins! Just because non theatening player X seems nearly dead, doesn't mean you can necessarily kill him quickly and have time to finish off the rest of their team. The number of times I have allowed myself to drop to 50% hp on garen, then in the teamfight I use my W to take 30% reduced damage and before I die, my tristana and olaf have killed 3 of the 5 the enemies. This "kill the low %hp guy not the biggest threat who will in fact die faster anyways" mentality is what allows hybrid tanks to do their job, and well, I am personally thankful for it =).

p.s. thread closed as wall of text hits YOU for 12,043,392 damage.