[Constructive Discussion] How to solve Language related problems in League?

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yordle Swordler

01-02-2013

*Haters stay away we want a disscussion here not a chain of hatefull comments on mexicans and brasilians thanks by advance.

Ok, so I recently had a problem that I never faced before, and that I now have analysed to understand why and how it happened in League of legend.
The reason I post this on NA is because I believe rioters that work on this matter are in NA so please dont say I should go away, I also created a topic in EUW anyway as it is mostly a problem we encounter in our community (but the more I read threads here the more I see its not only our problem).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the problem of the actual system: The actual system force players that cant communicate in the same teams and games, people are becoming full of hatred toward each others for some wrong reasons and can be tempted to adopt radical or racists behaviors just because of the unwanted missunderstanding (cf Brasilians & Spanish related threads).
But also servers segmentation for language purpose, is a barrier to learning languages and opening oneself to other cultures as we have to smurf just to stay in the same server of the people we wanted to learn the language.

The ideal: Players should be able to play with each others in any language they know or are learning if they want to, and not be forced to play with players that dont speak their language in the same time if they dont want to.

The idea: Language mixing is very good in games because it allow people to discover new cultures and people, but it needs to be a choice from the players otherwise the cohabitation is suffered.

(The one thing that currently discourage people from learning languages is the servers limits in my case all russians will leave EUW for a russian server so I may have to create a smurf because we had a team together. This is a unnecesary barrier as most of them live in the same area of the world as I do...)

How do we do that: Allowing people to select the languages they are fluent in or they learn, and making so that the queues take into account that data. Thus preventing people that have no comon language they can use to be in the same team and gathering players that share at least one language together.
Also, this would not require to split players in different servers (even if they are geographically close) forcing people that can speak more than one language to make smurfs.

In a nutshell => Less troll and racism because of incappability to communicate, better games, more teamplay, more understanding, less smurfs and better community links overall.
That can only bring some good things to LoL.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, we need to face the facts. We are facing a more and more globalised world maybe we should think about adopting a feature like this:
Matchmaking over the world
Alowing any player to choose which part of the world they want to queue with so that if both side are ok not to have a good ping just to play together they can.
I have a friend that dont want to play LoL because he says Dota 2 will allow him to meet japanese people and thus allow him to practice. Even if he agree with me that LoL has a more polished gameplay.

What I feared and fear: That League of legend is currently sectorising every servers and segmenting the player data base to solve the problem. Removing russian letters from english and french clients was a strong message for me. I am french i play in EUW with friends from Russia, Germany England and France in all languages. I learned english along with gaming I wish I could continue with Russian and maybe more in a near future. Segmentation is thus an extreme solution that should be avoided when we can and I think we can avoid that in league.

TY by advance for paying attention to that problem and supporting it! :3

Some Community quotes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarnished Lily from NA View Post
I think someone brought up the idea of a language check box filter, where you could check all languages you were fluent enough in to play with, and you could only be matched with people who could speak the same language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmpolite from NA View Post
Yeah, its annoying to lose a game, esp in ranked because the wont communicate and they don't speak your language.

[...] hopefully they can increase the playing experience for all of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrylogaX View Post
you cant be more right, thats the truth, like me, im from centrall america, and many friend from spain i meet cant play with me because they are in EUW serer bcause there are spanish people, and even if i talk spanish i like NA server

slifer556

01-02-2013

Clearly, somebody has to develop a pictorgram based language.

Yordle Swordler

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slifer556 View Post
Clearly, somebody has to develop a pictorgram based language.
LoL that would help blind people to play league

More seriously yes we could use like some radio commands that would be translated depending of the client you use it's an idea too
That works for FPS games in general but in the league people generally speak a lot more so idk it needs to be discussed

M0MENTUM

01-02-2013

Use pings, language barrier has been overcome.

Yordle Swordler

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0MENTUM View Post
Use pings, language barrier has been overcome.
Well actually just one day on any league forums and you see that pings seems to lack effectiveness to solve the massive rage problems

Briant1234

Recruiter

01-02-2013

everyone in the world, please learn hieroglyphics!

Yordle Swordler

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briant1234 View Post
everyone in the world, please learn hieroglyphics!
I just laughed just immagining the size of the screen dedicated to the chat XD

slifer556

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didoodeladi View Post
I just laughed just immagining the size of the screen dedicated to the chat XD
Well there is Chinese server, so I doubt it is that bad.

Yordle Swordler

01-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by slifer556 View Post
Well there is Chinese server, so I doubt it is that bad.
Yeah indeed but well egyptian hieroglyphs are less adaptable than chinese prints to little formats are they? Ill ask my friend who learn japanese to see how it looks like on his screen
Anyway I doubt that forcing people to learn a specific language would work otherwise we'd all speak english, wait...

IS125249a956a4be4299b23

01-02-2013

honestly the simplest answer is dont have people who cant speak the primary language of north america play on the NA servers, its as simple as that

12345 ... 6