Why we can't talk to someone while they are in game...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CanAPanda

10-17-2010

Actually the title is misleading, I don't see any reason why we can't talk to someone while they are in game from the PVP.net interface... other than the fact that we aren't allowed to. So my question is why can't we or why aren't we allowed to?

I was not playing when the ability to talk to someone while they were in game was available but I know that it was a reality at some point because of how much I have read about it. Why was it taken away? Were people mad because it distracted them from the game? Was it causing cheating by getting info from one team and relaying it to the other?

The last two above questions can be fixed easily to allow us to talk to someone who is in game yet again! If people were angry because it distracted them from the game, maybe there should be an option that turns off chat while in game or simply puts the "whispers" in a separate chat window that is movable and sizable, with the option to click through it. If cheating was the cause then Riot can simply not allow someone to talk to more than 1 team in a game, if people really want to cheat theres easier ways I.E. ventrillo skype mumble... etc.

I for one would love for this ability to be re-implemented. Social networking is one of the reasons many people play MMOs and by not allowing this to happen the whole networking part is completely nulled.

Comments, questions, +1s all welcome!

Thanks,
CanAPanda

Villiroth

10-18-2010

It would be nice, but I would like an option to ignore incoming messages while im in a game.

Chatastrophe

10-18-2010

Um, you can. Just open LoL (not the actual game client) from your background programs list. And voila! It says game in progress, but at the bottom, you can see your friends and chat with them.

Glad to be of service.

1chiban

10-18-2010

I suggest that they should add a /w option. (whipser)

darklordlyn

10-18-2010

yes pls

+1

WhiteTiger15

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-18-2010

ya i was wondering about this too, back then we were able to just message someone and they could freely speak back while in game with the use of /r to reply or just type /msg, /w ( name) At first i thought it was just my client that was buggy but i guess they removed it for w/e reason ( or am i wrong? and it is just my client ).

CanAPanda

10-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatastrophe View Post
Um, you can. Just open LoL (not the actual game client) from your background programs list. And voila! It says game in progress, but at the bottom, you can see your friends and chat with them.

Glad to be of service.
I'm guessing 90% of the game population does not know this, and the reason I want my version implemented again is because I'm trying to talk to people who are in games. From what I understand you are required to re-open the LoL client every time a game starts... thats just annoying.

Pissfer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2010

One thing I noticed last night: We now RECEIVE messages in game, but we can't reply to them (I think... I didn't try the /w that is around, I only tried /r)