Should ignore list block people from being matched with you?

Yes, Keep them away from me. 68 80.00%
No, if we are to find a solution, this isn't it. 17 20.00%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Vote on making Ignore List modify MM

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lagoon7

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weewolf View Post
It would stop them from being on your team, not playing against them. If you /ignored all of the good players then only noobs would be on your team.
^this.

I really want this implemented, getting some feeding newbie that also acts like a jackass once is bad enough, having to queue dodge cause you see him on your team next game is annoying.

Ive had several instances where ive /ignored some really nasty people only to have to queue dodge them cause they are on my team again.

Good thing it wasn't ranked hm? This would probably be a big thing for them ranked players.

iEnky

10-20-2010

I can understand Queue problems. Maybe you can issue a temporary block. For example, if you ignore someone, you won't be matched with them for.... a week? 2 weeks? Something with the idea that, they might change or get better or stop acting in such ways that made you ignore them in the first place. How the game is now, I just Queue dodge if I see someone I know who I've put on my ignore list.

Cactuschef

10-20-2010

I figured this was already the case. it's how the dungeon queue in WoW works.

if not then it definitely needs to be this way. who cares if the queue times are longer, i'd rather wait 2x as long than get teamed with someone I know is going to ruin my game.

iEnky

10-20-2010

Could anyone present some points against this idea? Other than longer Queue times, which I'm willing to accept. If it is because MM is finding people other than who's on my ignore list, then obviously I want it to instead of having to Queue Dodge, wait 5-15minutes to Queue again(ends up taking almost 20minutes to start a game). I can't imagine MM taking that long to find me a match with this implemented. And other than engineering and/or design issues.

Im curious to hear the different points of view from both sides of the issue.

Yogtheterrible

10-20-2010

The knee-jerk reaction is for the ignore function to work in match making but I just don't see it working. It would just cause too many problems in trying to work through the web of people other people aren't willing to play with. Besides, I could ignore everyone below 1700 elo and find myself artificially above my actual elo.

iEnky

10-20-2010

Yes, someone else talked about ignoring competition. Which wasn't the problem.

What your suggesting is more accurate. Ignoring weaker or lower elo people even without playing with them, just to filter your team.
If you do this though, you will be hurting your team. Not sure what elo you are. But if you are trying to do this to boost yourself, you might find yourself in a bad situation. Because you will be playing against people higher elo than you, and assuming that implies they are better than you, you will lose, further lowering you elo. That would be counter-productive, don't you think?

Troius

10-20-2010

Double-edged sword as far as we players are concerned, and a troublesome issue for Riot i guess...
Pros: We will have much, much more enjoyable games
Cons: Resources needed to run MM algorithm grows on an exponential scale, and time spent in queue spikes for player community as a whole..(this is a problem when you consider that longer time spent in queue automatically relaxes lvl/elo considerations in order to find you a game)

As a stop-gap temporary solution Riot is going in a good direction with ignore lists - if you ignore person for abusive behaviour ingame, it does not necessarily put them in poor players bracket (ie. if you dont have to read thry their comments ingame, thier play as such will not reduce your enjoyment of the game). next step is implementing language filter in game chat, and ofc i hope that somewhere in the future not getting matched with people on your ignore list will be implemented.

iEnky

10-20-2010

Well, I guess they might be going in a good "direction". However, the ignore list doesn't do anything right now. It just mutes. That's it. They can still afk, feed, leave the game. What I'm looking for, is a way to not have to play with certain people after playing a game with them and completely hating it. Maybe the "ignore" or "banlist" button can be only only in that screen u see after the match with the stats. That way you can't go nuts on the banning people with low elo so you dont have to play with them. You'll just be able to pick from people who fed/afk/left on your team.

Karbon

10-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogtheterrible View Post
The knee-jerk reaction is for the ignore function to work in match making but I just don't see it working. It would just cause too many problems in trying to work through the web of people other people aren't willing to play with. Besides, I could ignore everyone below 1700 elo and find myself artificially above my actual elo.
They could (and do?) have a cap on the amount of people you ignore, and also if you ignored everyone in your elo you would just sit in Que forever because it would continue to wait for a suitable match.

Ignore should keep the baddies off your team period. I'm sure it will complicate MM and increase Que times by a hair, but its well worth it. As soon as a known grief feeder/afker joins your game, even if you Que dodge for the loss you may be matched with him 2 minutes later and just get screwed again.

Brontobeuf

10-20-2010

Bad idea, sadly. :/