Before I Smack somebody (countering Twisted fate)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xirus

11-28-2009

Twisted Fate isn't powerful because of his gold stun card. He's powerful because of the combination of his abilities. Gold cards cover some situations, gate covers others, and destiny yet others. Then the fact that these all combine with each other for even more situations that Twisted Fate can handle, and you see why he is so powerful- the epitome of this power being the gold card > destiny > gate combo.

So when people complain about Twisted Fate, it's because he is an extremely powerful character. However, they generally don't comprehend all of his abilities, especially in the lower ELO brackets, so they pick the ability that seems the most powerful- gold card. In reality, it's a combination of his abilities that are probably pissing people off.

Other characters have some of these abilities, but no one can teleport every thirty seconds with a gold card, and every 90 seconds with a gold > destiny > gate combo. He's not OP, he's just deadly in the right hands. Instead of worrying about telling people he's not powerful, just work your ELO up to the point that you're playing against players who are used to adapting to challenges

Quote:
Just got my but handed to me by a very well played blitzcrank. He knew of my gold card and avoided it at all costs, dodged my wild cards with ease, and if I got too close to gold card him he'd rocket grab me next to a turret, then powerfist me behind enemy lines. I didn't have a chance to reveal, to tp, to run, anything. He got me about four times before I said "screw this" and had to avoid him the rest of the match.
If I recall correctly, you're still a bit new, but sounds like you're getting up in the ELO brackets. You'll slowly start learning how each champion will kill you if you do the wrong thing around them. With Blitzcrank, his grab is a skillshot (he has to aim it), so if you're weaving back and forth he will have trouble hitting you, or you can keep minions in between you and him. Pretty soon you won't have *as* many complaints about TF being OP, and hopefully they'll be more informed complaints this time :P

Rectal Necrosis

11-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xirus View Post
Twisted Fate isn't powerful because of his gold stun card. He's powerful because of the combination of his abilities. Gold cards cover some situations, gate covers others, and destiny yet others. Then the fact that these all combine with each other for even more situations that Twisted Fate can handle, and you see why he is so powerful- the epitome of this power being the gold card > destiny > gate combo.

So when people complain about Twisted Fate, it's because he is an extremely powerful character. However, they generally don't comprehend all of his abilities, especially in the lower ELO brackets, so they pick the ability that seems the most powerful- gold card. In reality, it's a combination of his abilities that are probably pissing people off.

Other characters have some of these abilities, but no one can teleport every thirty seconds with a gold card, and every 90 seconds with a gold > destiny > gate combo. He's not OP, he's just deadly in the right hands. Instead of worrying about telling people he's not powerful, just work your ELO up to the point that you're playing against players who are used to adapting to challenges

If I recall correctly, you're still a bit new, but sounds like you're getting up in the ELO brackets. You'll slowly start learning how each champion will kill you if you do the wrong thing around them. With Blitzcrank, his grab is a skillshot (he has to aim it), so if you're weaving back and forth he will have trouble hitting you, or you can keep minions in between you and him. Pretty soon you won't have *as* many complaints about TF being OP, and hopefully they'll be more informed complaints this time :P
Quick question, what does ELO stand for?

Ai, I learned that when playing a less skills blitz, honestly I think I have my guy's skills finally mastered and yeah, he can kill someone at 1/2 hp or lower if they're squishy and or alone, but otherwise you end up spending all day harvesting gold and scanning the map for a lone sheep.

Xirus

11-28-2009

Each player has an ELO rating. When you win a game, your ELO goes up. When you lose, your ELO goes down. Lots of complex math goes into determining how much your ELO changes. Then, when you enter a match, it does some more crazy math to decide what team to put you against, so that you tend to face teams of roughly the same skill as your team.

Of course, I don't look at the math too closely, I'm content to know that much. As your ELO rating climbs, you play against better players, and better players tend to be the ones that find ways to counter your tactics rather than cry "cheap." This is not always the case, of course, but it tends to be true. Some of the players I play with are far better than me, but still call some things cheap xD But I think that's more a criticism of game design than anything else...

I'm starting to ramble!

Edit: It's not that good players don't think some things are cheap. It's that good players adapt to the challenges presented to them, whether or not they're cheap.

Edi2: I wholeheartedly approve of the original premise of your post- teaching other people how to counter your character. This makes the community as a whole stronger, presenting better challenges for all of us. But yeah, don't get too upset by whinging.

Rectal Necrosis

11-28-2009

Yeah, there have been times where I've wanted to scream "Cheaaaap!" as Evelynn tore me apart for the umpteenth time but instead I showed up behind her and pressed my chest to her back then leaned in and whispered against her deep blue skin as my hand traced up her back and yelled "GOLD CARD!" Before putting her in the grave.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Zoobi

11-28-2009

I've said this before, I'll say it again. Gold. Card. Isn't. The. Only. Problem. With. CM.

ALL of his abilities combined make him THE BEST map control champion in the game and ONE OF THE BEST gankers in the game. Everything CM has synergizes so well with all of his other abilities. This is the main reason for all of the crying about how overpowered CM is. He is the only champion in the entire game that can A) Map slow B) AoE stun that isn't an ultimate and isn't a skillshot C) Teleport anywhere on demand regardless of whether or not there are friendly creeps/wards/shrooms/jitb's there.

Everyone says that CC is a counter to cm! Well CC is a counter to just about every champion. Burst damage is a counter to cm! Oh yeah, that's a counter to everyone too! These are pathetic excuses for allowing CM's abilities to synergize so well with eachother.

In all honesty I don't believe CM is as wildly overpowered as some people would like to think, I'm glad we're past the days where wild cards scaled to 1:1 ap and he was the best harasser in the game. However, whenever a good CM is in a game with me, it ruins the game for me. I can deal with the average CM's who know how to lock gold cards, but when an above average player who mains CM plays against me it makes me nerd rage in all sorts of ways.

Lemt

11-28-2009

If the enemy team has a CM you have to play differently. You need to stick together more, you need someone to watch your back while you pill, etc. But that doesn't make him OP, just very good in the hands of a skilled player.

I'll use Blitz again as an example. Blitz is INCREDIBLE in teamfights. You know that point where there are five players in each side, waiting for the enemy to make a mistake to initiate the fight with an advantage? Blitz creates that moment at NO risk. You use Grab. If it hits, you stun him with Fist, and then Overdrive to max your attack and move speed so he can't get away, turning it into a 5v4 fight. That's not something CM can do, in fact it's unique to blitz. But it doesn't mean he's OP, even if it forces the enemy to play differently.

I've also adapted my playstyle when playing Blitz during the teamfight. Rather than pick an enemy an concentrate fire, I pick a target, pull and stun, let my allies finish the killing, the overdrive to the next target to start spamming stuns. This also means advancing, so if the first target tries to run away he'll get stunned again by my 4-second cooldown stun. This method means I hardly, if ever, get last hits on enemy champions, meaning I get very few kills myself. But it greatly improves my team's chances of winning, so I really don't care.
The same is true in early laning. I usually grab, stun, then move in fron of the stunned enemy, to cut him out of his escape route and prevent his ally from supporting him. More often than not it'll be my laning partner who gets the kill, bu tI couldn't care less. Our team got a kill, our team got the gold, our team got the XP.
And Blitz is great at early XP denial. The other day I played a game where my ally was a squishy caster, and he played way too aggressively without any way to restore health, and got himself killed twice before level 6. But I manage to pressure the enemy well enough to reach level 6 before one of my opponents could, despite having no kills or supports myself, and despite my enemies not leaving the lane we were in.

HereticalCrab

11-28-2009

Hes a good hero, there will forever be qq about good heroes being played by good players, or good players playing as a team beating ass, or whenever someone dies. Get over it get used to it /mute and /ignore ppl and stop posting stupid **** like this in Guides/Strategy that is neither a guide or a strategy that really helps anyone what so ever.

Karmakin

11-28-2009

I played a bunch of CM the last few days or so, I saw the guide video on YouTube and he looked fun so I tried him out.

He doesn't do EVERYTHING better than everybody else, he just does a few things really well in such a combination that he's OP. The big thing I'd focus on that hasn't been mentioned yet, is his early laning power. His low cost/low cooldown/high range Wild Card spell can really dominate a lane and force the opponents away from the XP zone with relatively little risk to himself. Gold Card is nice against short-range heroes, but even without Gold Card CM would still dominate 1-6.

Rectal Necrosis

11-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticalCrab View Post
Hes a good hero, there will forever be qq about good heroes being played by good players, or good players playing as a team beating ass, or whenever someone dies. Get over it get used to it /mute and /ignore ppl and stop posting stupid **** like this in Guides/Strategy that is neither a guide or a strategy that really helps anyone what so ever.
Considering I just got destroyed online by a guy who then posted right before the game ended a message like this: "Hey didn't you write that anti-twisted guide? THANKS!" (very very bitter irony) I'd beg to differ. Then again I can see why you're grouchy, its past your nap time and you were just looking for someone to yell at.

to Karm: How did you manage to keep dealing damage all the way up to level 6 if you're fanning wild and pick? You're lucky if your mana makes it to level 4 if you're frantic with it. Granted someone who is conservative can keep a steady stream forever but still!

Xirus

11-29-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmakin View Post
The big thing I'd focus on that hasn't been mentioned yet, is his early laning power. His low cost/low cooldown/high range Wild Card spell can really dominate a lane and force the opponents away from the XP zone with relatively little risk to himself.
It's been so long since I've played AP TF that I had forgotten about this. You're right, Karmakin, yet another one of TFs strong points