Thoughts on shaco post nerf.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PardonMySwag

09-11-2010

How is everyones experience with him?

I used to play him constantly before his nerf a few patches ago, and was my true main. Now since that patch, I haven't touched him since - until today. I went into a prac match, and did my standard jungling course - but would this work in a real game?

It seems like his ult is no where is near as good now, jack in the box is meh, deceive is pretty meh and does two-shiv still blind? ( I read in the tooltip ingame it does, but I think it only slows move speed)

So, my main question here is how is he ingame now? I used to do quite well, but every shaco I've been with ingame has done pretty horrible. Your thoughts?

Ltmonkey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-11-2010

does two-shiv still blind?

No

ShadeOfBlu

09-11-2010

I just bought him a few days ago and he seems fine so far, average growing pains with any new champ for me. Probably helps I didn't know how he used to be.

PardonMySwag

09-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeOfBlu View Post
I just bought him a few days ago and he seems fine so far, average growing pains with any new champ for me. Probably helps I didn't know how he used to be.
* Deceive
o Cooldown increased to 11 from 10
o Duration to 3.5 from 4 seconds
* Hallucinate
o Cooldown increased to 100/90/80 from 90/75/60
o Duration reduced to 18 from 30
o Guardian Angel no longer revives the clone although will apply the passive particle
* Backstab (passive) bonus damage reduced to 20% from 25%
* Two-Shiv Poison no longer blinds the target
* Jack In The Box will now break stealth upon cast

And before that patch, they nerfed his deceive to 10 seconds (used to be 8.5 sec).

Waxim

09-11-2010

Just played a game against Shaco, and although I agree he wasn't nearly the damage dealer he was before, especially as he used to be late. But mid game he was able to do decent amounts of damage and if he's coupled with with a ranged char he was still effective (he was partnered with Urgot in my case).

Although a strange thing happened to my friend against Shaco, he killed him, and the game declared so; then he reappears and kills my friend. And he didn't have revive nor guardian's angel, and they didn't have Zilean on the team. I didn't see it personally, and I assume it could have been a lag spike, but still.... So he's pretty perplexed now; and i thought it'd be appropriate to pose this question here.

P.S. I assume the clone dies with the original?

Recknar

09-11-2010

It doesn't, it usually just stands still but sometimes it'll keep chasing a target

DoomManufact

09-11-2010

ive played shaco quite a bit, post and pre nerf

Shiv does not give a 100% blind (afaik it never did), but it still does give that reduced chance to hit, as poisoning minions will cause some hits to "Miss" you, which can only be caused by a reduced chance to hit effect (unlike dodging, where it would say "Dodge" above your head). I don't quite know what the patch meant by Shiv no longer blinding, perhaps it was a bug where Shiv would give a 100% miss chance, but now it works just the same as it used to.

The clone does not die with the original, and im fairly sure the dead shaco player can still control it whilst dead. I say I'm fairly sure because i have sent my clone after low hp players and gotten kills, but im not sure if the clone was following my pre-death orders or if it would have followed posthumous orders.

If I had to give my personal opinion on shaco's viability, I would say that he is in a not-so-great place right now. I've had a lot of early game success in getting boots of speed + 3x hp pots first, grabbing lizard with jitbs, then going immediately for a FB in the 2v1 lane and either pushing that lane, recalling, or continuing to jungle. However, past that it's really hard to find shaco's role in the team.
With the many, many nerfs Shaco can't afford as many survivability items as he could in the past without extremely crippling his damage output. The only ability he now can use without breaking stealth is hallucination, which makes placing jitbs in good spots before ganking an absolute chore.
If he goes with the team into a battle he'll die in milliseconds, I guarantee you. If you want any success in teamfights you'll have to send in your clone to fight for you and help minimize the disadvantage your team has in having 1 player not contributing, then stealth in and try to pick off a squishy when it seems relatively safe. This seems like it would work, but the numerous nerfs to shaco make it pretty **** hard to burst down even a squishy before the enemy team notices and melts your face off. I mean, it works great in low elo games where you're fed enough to kill anybody in 3 seconds, but I've yet to have an effective amount of success as shaco in higher skill games, when i know that with another viable carry i could have been doing so much more.
One of the unique roles ive found in shaco is that he is extremely good at picking off low hp champs. He can deceive in, burst a champ dead and gtfo before the enemy team knows where to look. Both his deceive and hallucinate can dodge in flight projectiles, so his strong escaping abilities do give him this unique role. In all other areas, though, he seems meh.

Regardless, he's hella fun to play xD

FckMan

Recruiter

09-11-2010

im done using dps shaco. AP shaco is the action. i get alot of hate from my teammates for not showing up even after grabbing a kill with my clone and damaging everyone around the area. clone blows up AoE status. im the squishiest, you actually think im just gonna walk up in battle to help like that? pffft the joke's on you. just stack AP and your clone gets more powerful. its much more effective in teh heat of battle since they wont click him to see if he's real, they just attack on sight. im just waiting around the corner to shiv/gun/DFG whoever. i love when one or two search the area to look for me, i have boxes planted, shiv your ass after being feared so you can walk away slowly. if its two, shiv one, exhaust the other, wait it out to see who gets weaker, shiv should be cooled down, you have deceive ready to go.

doing AP allows you to be safer than dps due to the fact htat you arent necessarily required to get in on the melee action which is just asking for death, id only get up close and personal if its a last hitter or use clone to do the work. i just love when noobs dont realize that shaco is taking severe damage and still try to kill it, hahaha. if the clone is taking more damage than it should, i think you should leave it alone and run. of course ill chase you with it. or a couple of weak enemies backing off but a teammate decides to kill it, DOUBLE KILL.

but yah, AP shaco is pretty **** fun. cooldowns not a problem for me. Glyph runes, golem, DFG offers 15% CDR. *shrugs shoulders* im good.

Klazzix

09-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltmonkey View Post
does two-shiv still blind?

No
Yes, it does. Play Shaco pls.

@OP:

IMO, Shaco's still beast.

PardonMySwag

09-11-2010

Hmm thanks for the all insight, AP shaco seems to be the thing now, I've partnered with many so far. The thing I see is they mostly rush manamune then get rod of ages, zhonyas, etc.

My question is if hes viable at all AP.

Pre nerf, I always thought AP shaco was a pure joke build having people run into Jitb nests of doom, this seems like a huge gamble actually stacking them and hoping someone would run into them. I know for a fact shiv and clone does huge damage thuough. Any thoughts?