Summoner Rift - Custom Map Skins

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

oqwnM

01-23-2013

Upvote + Bump.
Too bad my comp sucks too much to use it
I'll be bookmarking it to use once I upgrade it!

Ekimathor

01-23-2013

Bump

Drachis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Associate Technical Artist

01-23-2013
1 of 5 Riot Posts

I'm not sure what the legal implications are for this it should be okay.

This is a very different direction from the style of the game, I like the color scheme (reminds me of the Harrowing Map mixed with Night Elf colors) but the pixel in pixel detail is a bit harsh for my eyes. It would be neat to see the colors integrated into the map textures. The increase in contrast and saturation will need to be metered to reflect the visual important of elements on the map. The ground is one of the areas of rest in our visual space which helps champions read against it.

I'd recommend picking an area of the map (single screen shot worth) you like and painting up the textures in that region to have a higher resolution while attempting to maintain a style consistent to League. Overlaying a texture and tinting colors is a way to add artificial detail to a scene but that can be inconsistent with the underlying visual direction. Learning to place your details in the places that your eye will enjoy most while maintaining a strong visual hierarchy takes a lot of self control and I tend to reference historic painters, such as Edgar Payne, to help direct my hand.

I look forward to seeing your future mods.

peace,
Drachis

Auryiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurixy View Post
I'm thinking about creating new map skins. Any suggestions or ideas I could use on next releases?
Paradise Rift?

The Dork

01-23-2013

sandy beach rift.

sycA

01-23-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachis View Post
I'm not sure what the legal implications are for this it should be okay.

This is a very different direction from the style of the game, I like the color scheme (reminds me of the Harrowing Map mixed with Night Elf colors) but the pixel in pixel detail is a bit harsh for my eyes. It would be neat to see the colors integrated into the map textures. The increase in contrast and saturation will need to be metered to reflect the visual important of elements on the map. The ground is one of the areas of rest in our visual space which helps champions read against it.

I'd recommend picking an area of the map (single screen shot worth) you like and painting up the textures in that region to have a higher resolution while attempting to maintain a style consistent to League. Overlaying a texture and tinting colors is a way to add artificial detail to a scene but that can be inconsistent with the underlying visual direction. Learning to place your details in the places that your eye will enjoy most while maintaining a strong visual hierarchy takes a lot of self control and I tend to reference historic painters, such as Edgar Payne, to help direct my hand.

I look forward to seeing your future mods.

peace,
Drachis
are we allowed to use it?

Larias

Adjudicator

01-23-2013

This is beautiful.

Valkaire

01-23-2013

I love this!

/hint to Riot

Kirvinn

01-23-2013

Totally copying this from DotA. Just gonna flat out say it.

I think a neat skin idea would be one where the two sides of the map are themed different. (Radiant/Dire) Something along those lines. Not necessarily Life/Death themed though.

Warrikon

01-23-2013

Can you make an egyptian themed one? or perhaps a future themed (pulsefire..)