Summoner Rift - Custom Map Skins

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mod Kink

01-30-2013

I downloaded both after I trusted you about the no-malware policy you have and they look awesome!
Noir Rift looks a lot better, I don't like the teemo on Sandy Reach Rift nor that you did nothing to trees.

Suggestion: Void Rift!

Vulking

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

Soooo...... how long I have to wait till Riot realize this is the next step they need to take for their in game cosmetic customization?

It's a win/win scenario since they don't have to change gameplay at all yet give SR a completely makeover than make it feel fresh and new.

Summoner Rift Suggestion: Techno Organic Rift to go with the plethora of mech skins we have now.

Yurixy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

The website is back online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vally Cat View Post
Oh my gosh, the texture and blurring and lighting - it's beautiful!
Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaVC View Post
am i glad i got to install the skin before the website went down this morning XD i love this skin, its the dark gloomy rift i've always wanted
I'm very happy you are enjoying my skin. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod Kink View Post
I downloaded both after I trusted you about the no-malware policy you have and they look awesome!
Noir Rift looks a lot better, I don't like the teemo on Sandy Reach Rift nor that you did nothing to trees.

Suggestion: Void Rift!
Thanks for your feedback and your suggestion.

Quote:
All Suggestions posted
I'm taking note of all suggestions. Thanks for all suggestions and kindness.

CondaMagoo

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachis View Post
I'm not sure what the legal implications are for this it should be okay.

This is a very different direction from the style of the game, I like the color scheme (reminds me of the Harrowing Map mixed with Night Elf colors) but the pixel in pixel detail is a bit harsh for my eyes. It would be neat to see the colors integrated into the map textures. The increase in contrast and saturation will need to be metered to reflect the visual important of elements on the map. The ground is one of the areas of rest in our visual space which helps champions read against it.

I'd recommend picking an area of the map (single screen shot worth) you like and painting up the textures in that region to have a higher resolution while attempting to maintain a style consistent to League. Overlaying a texture and tinting colors is a way to add artificial detail to a scene but that can be inconsistent with the underlying visual direction. Learning to place your details in the places that your eye will enjoy most while maintaining a strong visual hierarchy takes a lot of self control and I tend to reference historic painters, such as Edgar Payne, to help direct my hand.

I look forward to seeing your future mods.

peace,
Drachis
Strange how he can whip out a high quality skin, yet we're still waiting on any official ones from riot :P

BestBilbo

01-30-2013

Yurixy, may I ask; how long are you working on such a single map skin ?

I'm loving every single bit of this and would pay RP for this if I could. I really appreciate what you are doing here, good stuff. If only could someone replace the trees on the Beach skin to Palm Trees or something, I know you are having trouble with that as you don't change models - I'm just saying.

Looking forward to new map skins you'll be making, I hope there are many yet to come !

Yurixy

01-30-2013

EDIT 30 Jan 2013
Compacted thread, now it occupies a lot less space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBilbo View Post
Yurixy, may I ask; how long are you working on such a single map skin ?

I'm loving every single bit of this and would pay RP for this if I could. I really appreciate what you are doing here, good stuff. If only could someone replace the trees on the Beach skin to Palm Trees or something, I know you are having trouble with that as you don't change models - I'm just saying.

Looking forward to new map skins you'll be making, I hope there are many yet to come !
Hello. I'm glad you liked my skins.
About the duration... hm... depending on the skin varies a lot, but I can say in the average about a week, working around 3 hours per day. On weekends I work faster.
Much time is lost applying on SIU each time and launching a custom game every time I want to test it, though.
For champion skins, is a lot more faster, something about 1 to 3 days should be enough.

Brightinly

01-30-2013

It would be really awesome if you managed to pull off a dance dance revolution summoners rift.

With neon arrows on the paths with different colors or something. I would definitely enhance my Arcade Sona experience

The Sterg

01-30-2013

Feedback on the beach map: Looks good but maybe make the sand a bit darker, the chat's a bit hard to read.

For future maps you should try your hand at an "acid trip" map. Make it have more rainbows than fifty Lux's having an orgy.
Another idea is an industrial map. Try to texture anything you can to be metallic while making the paths in lanes roads. Would be a brown n bloom'/gray type of affair.
What else... I'd like to see a SR version of your Gangplank map
One last idea could be whitewashed. Would be SR but completely white, patterns would remain.

The above poster also gave me an idea, make everything like an old video game. Large, pixelated and colorful.

Yurixy

01-31-2013

Next map I'm working will have a HD and SD version.
I'm also thinking about creating a SD version of Noir Rift.

lileeper

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachis View Post
If you have any questions about any specific portion of potential map mods hit me up I'm happy to help out. Making mods for a game you love is a great way to get on the path to becoming a professional game developer (it's where I stated out).
Drachis for riot president.