Summoner Rift - Custom Map Skins

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YoshiStampedeBlu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xethik View Post
Well... This is all texture work, no new 3d models. There would definitely be a lot of 3D model changes and whatnot for any holiday SR theme from Riot these days.
Secondly, things move naturally a bit slower in a business. There is a lot more that needs to be checked and done, more testing that occurs, and more feedback before publishing.

It's more than acceptable that Riot did not have the time to pull out a winter SR skin, if you ask me. Especially since they were working on Twisted Treeline at the time, too.
If you ask me, I don't find it remotely acceptable. In fact, I find it unacceptable that they weren't even able to make a christmas SR map. It sounds like one of those "Ehhh....f*** it" moments when they realized that they haven't even started on it.

Brightinly

01-30-2013

^Based on the time between the first submission and beach I think this guy is right, with 1 person working on the "floor" they could have all finished the remaining parts easily.

You could go for volcanic summoners rift. That would be awesome, I will install beach for now.

Gespens

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

If you are taking suggestions, why not Urban Jungle Rift?

Yomeiro

01-30-2013

Something I want to say to the Beach Rift~:

Srsly, I don't really like those wood plank circles where the Nexus and the Inhibitors are standing on....
Doesn't really look that appealing with wood on the ground and then some stone structure on it....

Towers and trees don't really fit into the theme as well....

Like it was already stated, if you are able to change the trees to something more tropical... that would be pretty neat~

Then some idea's I had for the structures:
Why not change the towers into palm trees, with one or two apes sitting on them, throwing coconuts at the enemies that get in range? XD
And what about changing the inhibitors into small, and the nexus into a large beach hut?.? (Similiar to the attachment I uploaded... just round )

I think that if you'd change the structures to something more beach like, it would be more awesome~

Yurixy

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachis View Post
If you have any questions about any specific portion of potential map mods hit me up I'm happy to help out. Making mods for a game you love is a great way to get on the path to becoming a professional game developer (it's where I stated out).
Thank you very much for your help. I will be sure to ask you if any questions comes to mind.
And yes, my website is a way I use as a portfolio, as webdesign and art / modifications.
It would be great to work as game development, that is for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomeiro View Post
Something I want to say to the Beach Rift~:

Srsly, I don't really like those wood plank circles where the Nexus and the Inhibitors are standing on....
Doesn't really look that appealing with wood on the ground and then some stone structure on it....

Towers and trees don't really fit into the theme as well....

Like it was already stated, if you are able to change the trees to something more tropical... that would be pretty neat~

Then some idea's I had for the structures:
Why not change the towers into palm trees, with one or two apes sitting on them, throwing coconuts at the enemies that get in range? XD
And what about changing the inhibitors into small, and the nexus into a large beach hut?.? (Similiar to the attachment I uploaded... just round )

I think that if you'd change the structures to something more beach like, it would be more awesome~
Thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it.
Some parts of your feedback, however, requires changing models, and this is something I do not. It would requires a great knowledge in Maya, and I know only the basics of 3DS Max and Cinema 4D, and sadly I don't have any intentions of learning Maya. I have some other priorities in my life at the moment and don't have more free time to include Maya in between. Maybe in the future

I used to insert custom models for the game: Heroes of Newerth. We used 3DSMax at the moment. But this was long ago.

I know a lot of you would love to see different towers + inibs + barons + minions etc, but at the current moment, the max I can do is to modify their textures. But then again, the game can look pretty cool with just textures changed. Just try some mods I did and maybe you will be surprised .........or maybe not :P

Sporq

01-30-2013

Dunno if this has been mentioned before (didn't real all the comments) so sorry if you've heard it already....

Beach Rift nexus needs a big X (instead of the wooden plank circle) under it, like X marks the spot.

But awesome work! Love them both.

81AZ

01-30-2013

Ah, that beach is beautiful. Also, what about a void rift?

Jetstream417

01-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachis View Post
I'm not sure what the legal implications are for this it should be okay.

This is a very different direction from the style of the game, I like the color scheme (reminds me of the Harrowing Map mixed with Night Elf colors) but the pixel in pixel detail is a bit harsh for my eyes. It would be neat to see the colors integrated into the map textures. The increase in contrast and saturation will need to be metered to reflect the visual important of elements on the map. The ground is one of the areas of rest in our visual space which helps champions read against it.

I'd recommend picking an area of the map (single screen shot worth) you like and painting up the textures in that region to have a higher resolution while attempting to maintain a style consistent to League. Overlaying a texture and tinting colors is a way to add artificial detail to a scene but that can be inconsistent with the underlying visual direction. Learning to place your details in the places that your eye will enjoy most while maintaining a strong visual hierarchy takes a lot of self control and I tend to reference historic painters, such as Edgar Payne, to help direct my hand.

I look forward to seeing your future mods.

peace,
Drachis
I want to install this...but want to find out if 100% approved by Riot first. Has this been answered?

The word "Should" makes me afraid.

Vilyra

01-30-2013

i like the maps, but your skins arent really new skins, just recolors >_>

NATHANUS MAXIMUS

01-30-2013

Would love the Gangplank ship 3v3 map redone for new TT?