Should Nhi Be a Champion in LoL

Champion is Good and Balanced! 5 50.00%
Champion is OP (explain) 3 30.00%
Champion is UP (explain) 0 0%
Champion needs some work (explain) 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Nhi, the Forsaken Battlemage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InSaNiTyVoid

12-31-2012

Pre-Champ notes:
Review Trades are just fine, but try to make the review good please
Riot, I give you complete rights and access to use my ideas in any way you see fit.
Also, I am setting up art portfolios for college, so I have been making champs as inspiration. I am only posting this one because it is my favorite so far.
(Concept Art, Icons, Animations, Quotes, and maybe even a model are on the way but will only be posted if there is feedback!)

Nhi, the Forsaken Battlemage

Lore:
Even in the world of Runeterra; a world dominated by mages, summoners and immense magical strength, the power of cold steel is not underestimated. In all major city-states and powerhouses the army consists mainly of warriors and masters of weapons forged by hand, not by magic. This is mostly due to the lack of individuals capable of powerful magic and the restrictions the world has placed since the devastating Rune Wars. Lost deep in the underbelly of Noxus there rests a cult of warriors, warriors so devoted to their blade, magic in and of itself is a sin. They refused to accept magic at all during the Rune Wars, not joining any side who dared to use it. This resulted in nearly all of their followers being slain on the battlefield. This tragedy created whispers throughout the cult that maybe the path they chose was incorrect…
These whispers amounted to nothing until the birth of Nhi, who, much to her parents horror, showed extreme proficiency in magic. Not just any magic, the very Rune magic which had wiped out the cult’s warriors. For a while her parents simply tried to stamp it out of her, punishing her whenever they caught her doing magic, but to no avail: the child’s magic simply grew stronger. But Nhi still loved her family, and her…extended family, the cult, too much to cause them trouble. So she learned the art of the blades and tried to be “normal”, but she always felt like that method of fighting was hollow, incomplete. One day, in her travels among the Noxian populous, she ran into a man who instantly recognized her talent, and offered to teach her more powerful magic. Nhi accepted, but only because of a secret ambition; to unite magic and blade, to bring honor to her family. Nhi was a natural at every magic the man knew, and within a week she had managed to infuse her blades with Rune Magic, creating two blades; Runewells she called them. She returned to her family, expecting praise and happiness. All she got was hatred. The cult saw her Runewells as an attempt to defile sacred steel, and excommunicated her and her family. Her parents were enraged, and seeking revenge, decided to kill their daughter in her sleep. Nhi woke up as her father’s hands clamped around her throat and in a panic she willed her Runewells to attack…A few minutes later, a shocked and traumatized Nhi left her house, covered in blood. She headed to the Institute of War, to prove her choice was not wrong.

You will see what my parents saw in their last breath…Just how dangerous my magic can be.
-Nhi, the Forsaken Battlemage

Appearance: (is being drawn)

Role: Melee ADC, Solo Top, Jungler
(That’s right. Melee ADC. For Bot lane. The champ has enough sustain to survive down there, and does enough does enough damage to keep up; Solo Top for similar reasons. Jungler because ganks of doom with E and W.)

Concept:
I wanted a battlemage; that screamed hybrid to me, but I wanted a different type of hybrid. The AD AP balance issue was annoying and frankly, stupid. No matter what Riot released that could be hybrid, it ended up leaning one way or the other because players believe they had found the best side to optimize damage. So I decided; we already have champs that build mana and AD, so why not benefit them even more for doing so? I thought of Ryze at that point and figured; ok let’s try that for AD! And so the mana scaling AD champ was born!

Stats:
Health: 395 (+80)
Health Regen: 4.75 (+0.65)
Mana: 223 (+60)
Mana Regen: 6.6 (+0.6)
Attack Damage: 56 (+3.375)
Armor: 18 (+3.1)
MR: 30 (+1.25)
Movement Speed: 345
Range: 150

Skills:

Passive: Mana Burn: Nhi’s basic attacks with her Runewells draw power from her spirit, dealing 5% of her maximum Mana as bonus magic damage and steal strength from their targets; restoring Nhi’s Health and Mana by 5/10/15/20% of the total damage.

Notes: Here we go, the first hint to someone playing this champ that full AD is overrated, considering the benefits of building mana.

Q: Blade Press: Nhi swings her Runewells three times, first with right, then left, each swing dealing 30/50/70/90/110 + (0.3 bonus AD) physical damage, and then a dual-bladed slam that erupts in 25/55/85/115/145 + (5% of Nhi’s maximum mana) magic damage to all enemies in the radius.
Ability Type: Instant Cast
AoE Radius: 250
Range:Melee
CD: 6
Mana Cost: 45/55/65/75/85

Usage Notes: So this is a fun ability ^^ You smash the ground twice quickly, and then smash again to hit surrounding enemies! Simple in mechanics and usages, but not too strong; with a Flash, or some dash ability, it becomes easy to avoid. The animation is over the course of 1 second.

W: Mirage Sting: Nhi’s empowers Runewell and dashes behind a target enemy champion and slashes them dealing 50/85/120/155/190 + (0.7 AD) physical damage; after a short delay 3 more Runewells appear in the spot where Nhi was and fly towards the point she dashed to, dealing 15/35/55/75/95 + (6% of Nhi’s maximum mana) magic damage.
Ability Type: Target Dash
Maximum Magic Damage: 45/105/165/225/285 + (18% of Nhi’s maximum mana) (only if they are standing where Nhi dashed to)
Range: 650
Reverse Cone: 650
CD: 18/17/16/15/14
Mana Cost: 80

Usage Notes: Your first dash ability! This ability is remarkably neat, it lets you dash to an enemy champion and damage everything behind you. This also would be the first reverse cone ability in LoL, let me explain; the Runewells appear on the left, right and center of the outer edge of the cone, and fly to the middle (where you dashed to) creating a reverse cone AoE!

E: Rune Field: Nhi creates a black aura of distortion around Runewell, and creates a Rune field that draws nearby enemies in doing 20/30/40/50 + (2% of Nhi’s maximum mana) magic damage per second that they are within range. The Runefield explodes after 2/3/4/5/6 seconds dealing 90/120/150/180/210 + (0.6 AD) + (5% of Nhi’s maximum mana) physical damage.
Ability Type: Target AoE
Attraction Radius: 450
Damage Radius: 250
CD:16/14/12/10/8
Mana Cost: 70/80/90/100/110

Usage Notes: This is your main utility spell; you select to a target location, and leave a Runefield there, drawing in enemies, and screwing up their positioning. The radius of damage is smaller to benefit a more skillful placement that got you right next to the target, and to give enemies a chance to react to a bad one.

R: Call to Ruin: Nhi draws upon the ancient majicks of her Runewells and creates a sphere of Null energy at a target area. If an enemy champion walks through/is hit by the sphere, the sphere explodes, dealing 125/200/275 + (1.0 Bonus AD) + (8% of Nhi’s maximum mana) physical damage to nearby enemies. The explosion releases the Null majicks, aging all enemies hit, slowing their movement and attack speed by 15% which increases over 3 seconds to 35/45/55%. This may be cast another two times, with no cost, within the next 12 seconds before going on cooldown. Neither the slow or the damage stacks per explosion.
Ability Type: Target AoE
Sphere Duration: 8 seconds
Sphere Diameter: 250
Explosion Radius: 200
Range: 700
CD: 120
Mana Cost: 100/130/160

Usage Notes: Cool ult is cool. The ultimate works similarly to Xerath’s ult, except it leaves the spheres there, so even a miss can work as a blockade against the enemy team. The slow is added to get the feel of a Teemo mushshroom; punishing an enemy for being out of place, and severely changing a teamfight. Also, only

Playing as Nhi:
-Try to be attacking as much as you can early game; you get more sustain than most champs, so abuse it!
-Play smart with your dashes! They can save your life if you dont spam them whenever they are off CD
-Try to use your other abilities after your E, it is very easy to hit opponents that can't move ;D
-Use your Q as a source of major damage, it has low CD and mana cost from the get-go so dont let that go to waste.

Playing against Nhi:
-CC! seriously, slows, silences, stuns, fears, all work beautifully. She is an AD Caster and Carry, so while she benefits for the bonuses of both, she also suffers both weaknesses, making silences painful as hell.
-Kite her, its a smart way to prevent to much harass.
-Watch out for her dashes; one has a pretty simple way to avoid a majority of the damage, move out of the cone, and the other...just watch out i suppose ^^;
-Exhaust and Ignite are a pain for her so they may be good spells to carry
-DO NOT WALK INTO THE SPHERES FROM HER ULTIMATE. That is all.

Recommended Items: (on the way)

Animations:

Quotes:

InSaNiTyVoid

12-31-2012

Reserved for League Judgement

Nysta

12-31-2012

I like the lore. A girl growing up in a world that she just didn't fit in, no matter how hard she tried. Then the excommunication and well.. poor girl! The cult doomed itself by not adapting to the changes.
Not sure she would say that though. You said herself that she was traumatized.
Maybe something like: "Those that don't adapt.. are doomed to die." Oh well doesn't sound too well either, might think of something else later.
I like the concept, but in my opinion Mana items are currently totally overpowered; your champion will not be an exception by that.
Adc that has enough sustain to build full ad and still deal the damage - Can't imagine that not to be op. Have to read on.
The Passive:
It adds 5% of your maximum Mana as damage to your basic attacks and heals for 10/20/30/40% of that damage dealt. Imagine you got 3000 Mana. You would deal 150 bonus damage and heal for 60 health every hit (probably reduced by armor the enemy has? What does damage mean?
I think 5% might be a bit much, but I can't tell. I also think you can cancel out the scaling on the healing. 40% all ranks should be fine if you want it to be that high you might have to nerf the damage part unless it is physical/magic damage that does not scale with critical hits.
-break-
New year soon. I'll be out and write on once I'm back.

InSaNiTyVoid

12-31-2012

Yea, I wasn't sure what to do about her quote ^^; but I'm glad you liked the Lore!

Hmmm i see the issue. But to be fair, you just said it: if I built 3000 mana. If you build that much, you invariable lose AD and vice versa if you build pure AD. The total damage being her basic attack damage + the bonus damage.
I am looking forward to the rest of the review! I finished yours btw

InSaNiTyVoid

12-31-2012

bump in the meantime

Nysta

12-31-2012

The Q: Do you have to stand still when casting? How long does it take to execute it? 1 second?
The W: Ouch, for a non-ult. Most targets would move, but in combination with a fitting support you couldn't evade the damage. The scaling is crazy. Lvl 1 damage sucks compared to that (I wouldn't buff it though), but that's it. The cool-down is okay.
The E: Enemies are dragged to the origin of your dash, take damage over time and damage at the end of the cast. And this is a dash on top of that? Sounds OP if that is what you meant.
You are talking about keeping your opponents in melee range. I don't think that it does that. It basically switches positions if you dash onto somebody then that guy has to get out of the place again. Just imagine you have a Leona as support. she roots and stuns whereas you do your E, W and then Q. Ouch?
The R: 3 times AOE Nasus wither? With high damage; over all 45% of your max mana. Say you got 3000 mana. You would deal a bonus 1350 damage. But that's not the problem. The cc is much too strong. Even if you don't hit anything with your ult you just got 3 walls. And you can just place those on top of the enemy, making it be that insta AOE damage slow.. I don't think that this is a good idea. The slow is much too strong.
I hope this helped you, answer me and I'll respond to your answer; checking my own champion now. Thanks for your review!

Zarkof

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2012

Why are "swords" called "runewells"? Doesn't make sense to me. Runeblade (since thats what they are), while seeming similar to Deathknights in WoW, makes sense. Runewells would be the actual individual source of magic found on the blade imo.

The passive is pretty much the same effect as muramana, and then you add in innate lifesteal and a bit of Taric's passive. There is WAY too much going on here. Champs would only have one of the effects, not all three. Looking at Nasus, his passive is 10/15/20% lifesteal, Taric's is 7.5% of damage restores mana, and Muramana drains 3% current mana. This is super imba. Also, bonus "what" damage?

Q: If this is like Riven's Broken Wings, then it's alright but it lacks something besides mana ratios to differentiate it and make it unique. % mana seems okay but ryze's ratios are 6.5% and 4.5% on Q and W/E respectively.

W: Fix the wording near the start. If the swords are all traveling at the same time/speed then what is the point of having 3 instances of damage if they all apply at the same time? The overall mana ratio is too high.

E: Field. If people don't read the lore they won't know what "runewell" is since it doesn't hint at being her sword at all. You shouldn't have 2 long range gap closers. That doesn't balance out well. Riven has very short dashes that don't even total 1000 range. Yours are both long range. You shouldn't scale up the duration with level, that just doesn't make sense. You're already scaling up the damage, so scaling the duration is just going to increase it exponentially and make it harder to land the "explosion". I'd take out the dash and just make it a zone spell since you already have a "shunpo" and the reposition on this spell already makes it too much of a mobility skill to add a dash with.

R: You shouldn't have the 3 additional casts with that kind of CC. Reduce the amount of the slow drastically and lower the duration to 1 or 2 seconds so you can't keep up a 9 sec 50% overall slow. Mana ratio is too high. Why don't you have an AD ratio?

The only thing that the passive from Muramana (which I'm assuming is what you intended to be built first) will proc on is the initial hit from W, which doesn't really provide as much synergy as you'd think. It's an interesting concept but I don't feel that it is balanced properly at all. I can't think of any champ that has 2 long range mobility skills so you should think about taking the dash out of E since your W is already a gap closer. Your ultimate seems a bit overpowered with 3 casts (like Xerath's ulti) and has a bit too much damage for the lack of skill required and the cc you give it.

Building AD Mana items is limited to Trinity Force and Muramana. This is going to give you the same predicament as Ryze: Do I build more AD/AP for the damage or tanky mana items? You need to be very careful about your mana ratios. As this is an AD Caster (basically) I'd be more inclined to build black cleaver first since that would increase the damage more than building 250+ mana with a manamune. There's a LOT of math involved so you should think about that and maybe go do some theorycrafting.

InSaNiTyVoid

12-31-2012

So the first consensus is that the E shouldn't be a dash. I have no problems with this :P so i will remove the dash and make it a basic AoE

Onto the R: Slow does not stack in anyway. not amount, not duration. As for ratios, no problem I'll nerf that ratio to add the AD one. So I believe that will deal with the issues there, (ill also nerf the slow itself, even though it was never quite at wither's level)

Onto individual responses:

@Nysta: Q allows movement and yes would take about a second to execute, I'll add that in.
W: Hmm I guess I'll lower the mana raito I'm thinking 4, 4.5% should be ok
E: Like I said dash is gone.
R: Gah I'm leaving bits out. If you are affected by the slow,(aka you already took damage) you do NOT get hit again. It is also not instant (need to add that in too orz) the delay is a little less than Xerath's for his ult. (admittedly I'm adding the no damage stack, but the slow never did.)

@Zarkof: I didnt want to use the word Runeblade is all o.o I consider changing it.
Passive: idk why you separated the Health and Mana restoration while talking about it but the heal is rather miniscule (edit: I'm dumb. When I typed this, I had the vision in my head that the heal was split between Health and Mana, but I typed the total)
Q: Not exactly like Broken Wings but close enough. % Mana ratios seem to be my irritation right now.
W: Hmm I guess I'll lower the mana ratio. I'm thinking 4, 4.5% should be ok, and the 3 instances of damage create the reverse cone talked about in the notes.
E: Explained above.
R: My bad, I'm lowering the Mana Ratio to add an AD ratio.

Nysta

12-31-2012

The damage on the R was not the problem. The bonus damage from mana on the W was not the problem.
You can keep the damage on the R (on each cast of the R for every champion) but you should nerf the slow, seeing that it is close to guaranteed that you hit everybody with it. (at least once, and that is the maximum anyways.
When talking about the W scaling too hard, I was referring to the base damage values.

InSaNiTyVoid

12-31-2012

Ohhhhhh ok, ill readjust W and R, besides, I already nerfed the slow thanks for following up!