Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What Makes a Jungler a Jungler to Riot?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Duke Br0heimer

12-30-2012

Quote:
CertainlyT:
And yet both are completely viable in lane. The OP seems to be suggesting that a champion "for the jungle" is one that cannot be played effectively outside of the jungle.

Warwick is subpar in lane and horrible in the jungle. His clear speed is bad and his pre 6 ganks are laughable. His sustain is the only thing he has going for him, but that doesn't mean much when even in the new jungle most junglers have no problem maintaining more than enough health while still being faster clearers and/or better gankers.

Warwick pretty much wreaks of "outdated champion with outdated kit".

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

12-30-2012

Quote:
Rex Draconem:
I think the question is, what attributes does a champion need to have to be given the jungler tag.

like the difference between hecarim and malphite where hecarim has the jungler tag and malpgite doesn't.

Good question. My understanding is that our tagging system is designed to guide newer players. Champions receive a "Jungler" tag so that if you want to try them, but have no idea what they do, you can get an idea of where they work, and what runes/masteries to use, by looking at the tag. Additionally, if a newer player wants to jungle, they can look for champions with the Jungler tag and enter the game confident that they won't die to wolves.

So while AD Malzahar may be a viable jungler, we would never give him that tag, because it takes a fairly sophisticated level 30 player to pull it off.

As to Malphite specifically, I think he would be a fine champion for a newer player to pick up. That is possibly just an oversight.

Lord Marrowgar

12-30-2012

I wish rammus was viable anywhere other than the jungle, and even then extremely underplayed. REWORK Him? Ok.

BrightnShiny

12-30-2012

Quote:
CertainlyT:
Good question. My understanding is that our tagging system is designed to guide newer players. Champions receive a "Jungler" tag so that if you want to try them, but have no idea what they do, you can get an idea of where they work, and what runes/masteries to use, by looking at the tag. Additionally, if a newer player wants to jungle, they can look for champions with the Jungler tag and enter the game confident that they won't die to wolves.

So while AD Malzahar may be a viable jungler, we would never give him that tag, because it takes a fairly sophisticated level 30 player to pull it off.

As to Malphite specifically, I think he would be a fine champion for a newer player to pick up. That is possibly just an oversight.

*cough*

RICHARD!

NunBasher

12-30-2012

Quote:
CertainlyT:
Two teams ran Nocturne mid this month at the OGN winter championships.

.BOOM roasted.

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

12-30-2012

Quote:
Bacur:

Staying absolutely on topic: Why u ignore jungle gold starvation topics like the problem does not exist?

Because it is not my area of expertise. I can say that Statikk is still iterating on the jungle. Remember, this is the pre-season for a reason: the game is in a huge state of flux that will hopefully make it much more dynamic and interesting. If any Rioter promised you it would be perfect on release or that there would not be hiccups along the way, please direct them to me ;-)

BrightnShiny

12-30-2012

Quote:
CertainlyT:
Because it is not my area of expertise. I can say that Statikk is still iterating on the jungle. Remember, this is the pre-season for a reason: the game is in a huge state of flux that will hopefully make it much more dynamic and interesting. If any Rioter promised you it would be perfect on release or that there would not be hiccups along the way, please direct them to me ;-)

You've been my favorite Rioter since you defended Darius and I HATE(d) Darius. q:

CLG HotdogGG

12-30-2012

Quote:
CertainlyT:
Video (http://www.ognlol.com/board_view/vod/board_id/10000000001072/series/20/re_url/main/page/1)
Summary (http://www.mobafire.com/esports/news/azubu-blaze-beat-lg-im-at-the-ogn-winter-quarterfinals-175)

Video (http://www.ognlol.com/board_view/vod/board_id/10000000001065/series/20/re_url/main/page/1)
Summary (http://www.mobafire.com/esports/news/azubu-frost-beat-cj-entus-at-the-ogn-winter-quarterfinals-173)

Thanks! =D

AlexDnD2

12-30-2012

Quote:
Bacur:
This was a huge homegrown piece of trick they did there.

Just a one time thing and they were able to pull it out because ad casters and assassins are broken in s3 in general not because Noc is exceptionally powerful.

Nocturne is not viable mid except when played by certain asian guy against a certain champion played. At best it is practice, at worse it is disbalance.

Staying absolutely on topic: Why u ignore jungle gold starvation topics like the problem does not exist?

Because jungle job is to gank not afk farm for 20 minutes.

Bacur

12-30-2012

Quote:
CertainlyT:
Because it is not my area of expertise.

guess it is because you are not tagged as a jungler
get out of my jungle, nocturne.