The State of the Troll

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arafel

Friend of Urf

12-28-2012

It’s getting harder every day to have fun in ranked play. I’m sure you’ve experienced this no matter what level you play at. From the get go most games start with a horrible attitude that doesn’t lead to fun for anyone, making the only reason for playing the win. When there’s the tiniest hint that won’t happen, the troll is unleashed, and the team with the troll loses.

Hello, My Name Is...

I believe the issues with trolls start from roughly .35 seconds into the queue, where everyone types what three letters they’re willing to fill. The vast majority of the time, two or three people will type the same thing, leading to “adc or i feed,” “mid or i feed,” “k afk dodge if u want.” Tensions are high the instant you enter a ranked queue because of this. Granted, sometimes you get the team of actual people who are willing to discuss roles and offer compromises. But more often than not, you get at the VERY least someone who’s determined to ruin the good juju going on between the rest of you.

This is very problematic in the current incarnation of warnings and bans. Trolls love the game of chicken, and it rewards them to the utmost. A single person throwing a tantrum can ruin the entire experience for his team (and the other team if they want a real game--they usually don’t, more on that later). For now, you simply have to play the game. Blessed are the peacemaking summoners. Diffuse the situation as much as you possibly can. Assure the troll that he’s not ruining everything that’s beautiful in this world with every breath he takes and your team can come out ahead.

Cycle of Hate

Of course, whichever route plays out, the troll comes out ahead. Either someone who doesn’t want a horrible experience dodges for the good of the team (and the next four poor saps get stuck with a troll), or the game plays out and the troll doesn’t get as disheartened as everyone else. In fact, he eats it up. Which leads to another horrible truth.

http://i.imgur.com/ctJcG.jpg

At one time or another, your troll was a decent human being. But someone trolled him hard the last two games and he’s fed up.You are, in fact, only a couple of bad experiences away from trolling your team. But this is a deceitful disease. Your average troll doesn’t think he’s a bad guy. In fact, he’s the only one on the team with any sense. He knows he can win as the adc, so he’s going to do it. So what if he’s fifth pick and the rest of the team decided second was going ad? He knows better. He can’t trust you because you’re most certainly a troll. So he has to Troll Harder: Electric Boogaloo. And the other team, having had trolls ruin their day prior to this, have no pity towards you more often than not. No "bg," rare "sorry about the troll," often "gg that's how i lost my last."

You have to set deep within the recesses of your heart not to do this long before it can become an issue. Every time you join a queue, remember that these are new people and new experiences. It’s likely that one of them is having a horrible day gaming and is ready to troll you, but you don’t know that for a fact. Assuming that might be what tips him over.

Is There No Escape?

With the meta as it is (and has been, and will likely continue to be), the three letter call outs .000072 seconds into the lobby cause a lot of tension. You don’t see “sup” nearly as often as any of the other roles, and this is often the point of contention with one or both of the last two picks saying “omfg i dont support” after auto locking. Queue queue dodge for someone or almost guaranteed loss, ruining an experience either way.

WoW has a great solution for this in the raid finder. I know Riot doesn’t officially endorse any meta, but they DO have in-game roles. You should be able to queue up for these, checking which boxes you’re willing to play. If you play the more popular roles exclusively, you’re not going to get queue pops as quickly. If you can fill all roles, hurrah instant queue--just be prepared to support often.

But Stupid, Trolls will be Trolls.

Of course abusers will rise in this by queueing all roles to get right into a game then refuse to play it, adding another facet to trolling. But! But. There is a solution. A pregame vote-kick with no penalty for anyone NEEDS to be instituted. Trolls have TOO. MUCH. POWER. over the pregame. ⅗ of the team should be able to boot someone. On the likely chance that someone got booted for an illegitimate reason, this should result in a VERY small queue penalty for the booted player--either a few more seconds to ensure they don’t get rematched or just (if possible) not matching them with the same players. After all, any system can and will be abused. But, if a player gets booted from three+ lobbies in a row with different people in every lobby, it’s likely that they’re doing something to purposefully antagonize their teammates, at which point a longer queue penalty should be put in place to give them a minute to think “hey, whatever it is I’m doing is so frustrating to my teammates that they don’t want to play with me. Perhaps I can communicate the reasoning behind my non-canon pick or maybe I can stop being such a huge troll so I can actually play this game.”

That Last Paragraph was Pretty Long

Yeah, I know.

So...What?

The cruel, cruel reality is that trolling will always exist in games. League has a special breeding pit for it because it’s nigh impossible to punish trolls effectively. They wield too much power and we summoners have no way to respond. “Report them and let the Tribunal work” isn’t a good enough option, because they get a troll spree before any action can be taken, IF it’s even taken. We need to have the ability to be proactive, and we need it soon.

That’s only half the issue, though. Look inside yourself. Keep yourself from becoming this horrid thing. If you see it coming out, log out and cool down. This is a permeating culture in our beloved fields of justice that we have to change from the inside out. If we had a culture that didn’t instigate trolling but rather promoted genuine sportsmanship and (gasp) fun, we could make this a minority instance. That needs to happen with you, and it needs to continue. In the meantime, though, we desperately need some way to exorcise trolls from the pregame lobby.

Riot pls

TL: DR
-We (the players) need to promote behavior that doesn't allow trolling to become the norm.
-Pregame lobby in ranked play needs a 3/5 votekick that won't put the kicked on the same team he was kicked from but won't incur queue penalties unless repeat.

FaerKhan

12-28-2012

Hopefully Riot finally does something about the trolls? I like these ideas

Lame Dude

12-28-2012

Friend of Urf, take my upvote.

Leaver

12-29-2012

what are you talking about, this game doesn't have any trolls

Titiln

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaver View Post
what are you talking about, this game doesn't have any trolls
trundle is crying

Arafel

Friend of Urf

12-29-2012

Lots of posts about trolls tonight. Gonna bump this one back.

Coltz

12-29-2012

This would make soloQ much better! I especially like the idea about being able to kick someone.

Arafel

Friend of Urf

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtzOne View Post
This would make soloQ much better! I especially like the idea about being able to kick someone.
Methinks Riot doesn't want it because it's abusable on paper. With the proper precautions, though, it could be a boon for everyone. Besides, if you were going to get kicked by people because they didn't like your choice/name/whatever, do you even want to play with those people?

Technician Tim

12-29-2012

bumpity bump bump

Arafel

Friend of Urf

12-29-2012

Ah, another game of the most delectable trolling on my team between bumps.