Vaultbreaker gapclose math

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CerealBoxOfDoom

12-27-2012

I did some math because math often ignores bias and the heat of the moment when ingame observations ar being made.

The most noteworthy information I gathered from this math is a big clunky formula for vi's gapclose range.

G=(V+440-E)*t

where G is the amount of gap that can be closed with vault breaker, assuming the enemy is running in the opposite direction and traveltime is insifnificant. (might not be but id rather not get into that for now)

V=(Vi's average movespeed+flat bonuses)**movespeed modifiers on Vi=Vi's net movespeed during vaultbeaker
E=(enemy average move speed+flat bonuses)*movespeed modiers=enemy's net movespeed during vault breaker.
t=time

Max power charge time on vaultbreaker is1.25 seconds
max range is 600 units
range during charge time increases at MS 440
Vi's movespeed during chargeup is decreased by 15%

Vi's base speed is 350 surpassed only by pantheon and master yi.
During vault breaker this drops to 297.5
with speed 1, 2, or 3 speed quints thats 301.963, 306.425, or 310.888 respectively.

T1 boots give 25 flat MS
T2 gives 45 flat MS including the 25 from before

Some helpful notes.
Vi's gapclosing power gets slightly weaker as the game goes on. Against a champ with the same base movespeed, withoyt boots her max gapclosing range is 484.38 and if both have T2 boots and still have matching movespeed then the range actually drops to 428.13.

Vi can flash or ghost during vault beaker without interrupting it

At the moment, vaultbreaker an knock back muliple champs standing close to each other.

It is recommended that you get vaultbreaker at level 2 or 3 and max if first

WildLeon

12-28-2012

I havent seen many Vi's that max Vault first be that effective. The ones i see do really well max E. They use Q interupts and short range gap close.

PerfidiousAlbion

12-28-2012

Vault Breaker seems a lot stronger on paper than it really is. It has high potential damage and a decent range, but it has a charge time that means it's a damage loss if used when your already in combat, and it telegraphs when it's charging and is dodgeable, so anyone with an escape skill, or just someone already close to the edge of it's range, can easily avoid it. It's really only reliable when used from brush or when used as an interrupt.

Personally I'd rather max E first as it gives her decent harass in lane.

CerealBoxOfDoom

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildLeon View Post
I havent seen many Vi's that max Vault first be that effective. The ones i see do really well max E. They use Q interupts and short range gap close.
You can follow up with E anyways due to the knockback disable. E resets youre autoattack so it's scaling is actually high enough that leveling it only adds 15 damage per level whereas vault breaker adds 30 minimum and chains into E and W anyways.

Maxing E first also limits how often you can close gaps. The primary reason to max Q first I think is actually for the cooldowns so you'll have 3 abilities more often and can get your 3 hits in fast. There is an invisible bonus onhit activation after hitting with Q. On contact even if you click away fast there will be 2 stacks of denting blows on the target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfidiousAlbion View Post
Vault Breaker seems a lot stronger on paper than it really is. It has high potential damage and a decent range, but it has a charge time that means it's a damage loss if used when your already in combat, and it telegraphs when it's charging and is dodgeable, so anyone with an escape skill, or just someone already close to the edge of it's range, can easily avoid it. It's really only reliable when used from brush or when used as an interrupt.

Personally I'd rather max E first as it gives her decent harass in lane.
You don't really get much from maxing E. Seeing as it's scaling is at least greater than 1.0 you actually add more damage to it by building 15 attack power than you do by leveling it. Even if you add 15 AD and level it youre only actually doing 31 bonus damage on even less likely to hit harrass with some chance of doing 62 due to the second charge. Also in the longrun you lose damage due to the long cooldown on vault breaker.

PerfidiousAlbion

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerealBoxOfDoom View Post
You don't really get much from maxing E. Seeing as it's scaling is at least greater than 1.0 you actually add more damage to it by building 15 attack power than you do by leveling it. Even if you add 15 AD and level it youre only actually doing 31 bonus damage on even less likely to hit harrass with some chance of doing 62 due to the second charge. Also in the longrun you lose damage due to the long cooldown on vault breaker.
I wouldn't level either Q or E for their damage really. E sees relatively little damage increase per level and Q is only useful for damage against specific targets or if used from brush. In both cases I'd level them for the reduced cooldown. Of the two I feel it's more important to have a lower cooldown on E earlier because I find it to be a superior harassment tool in lane, and at that point in the game your Q is unlikely to have a low enough cooldown to be used more than once per skirmish regardless.

I can see why someone might disagree, but I very much prefer to max E first.

IonDragonX

12-28-2012

Quote:
Vi's movespeed during chargeup is decreased by 15%
Fun fact:

Boots of Swiftness reduce this by 25%.
Relentless mastery reduces this by 15%.

Together, you only slow yourself by 9% but you have the fastest boots so......

Tsabo

12-28-2012

Maybe this is a champ that u don't have to aim for just one skill to level first, what if you at lvl 6 have rank 2 Q, rank 1 W, and rank 2 E?, lower CDs in both skills, decent gap closing, decent damage, and ult, i have never played with Vi, but you are forgetting this possibility.

lightandarkness

12-28-2012

so did you also calculate that by pressing your q you stop. Did you even calculate stun silence slow. What they flash right before you releash your q.

CerealBoxOfDoom

12-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzabo View Post
Maybe this is a champ that u don't have to aim for just one skill to level first, what if you at lvl 6 have rank 2 Q, rank 1 W, and rank 2 E?, lower CDs in both skills, decent gap closing, decent damage, and ult, i have never played with Vi, but you are forgetting this possibility.
the problem here is that the Q either utilized as often as possible or not. Theirs really no inbetween due to its fairly long cooldowns. The cooldown on E, due to its positioning demands, effectively has a varying cooldown and occasionally may hit twice to deal slightly above normal damage.

Basically vi is one of those not very strong characters who gets a **** ton of dice rolls for extra damage. She's like a red berzerker if you play magic.

Tsabo

12-28-2012

Quote:
the problem here is that the Q either utilized as often as possible or not. Theirs really no inbetween due to its fairly long cooldowns. The cooldown on E, due to its positioning demands, effectively has a varying cooldown and occasionally may hit twice to deal slightly above normal damage.

Basically vi is one of those not very strong characters who gets a **** ton of dice rolls for extra damage.
The problem i see, since i have played against some Vis, if she doesn't do her full combo, her damage is worthless, that's why i think she needs some balance, if she misses her Rank 5 Q, her lvl 1 E will do nothing, the same will happen if she hits her Q but her Rank 5 E misses or she isn't able to hit with it. I play a lot as Teemo and against him, Vi has this problem, since this is a meta where all is about movility, disengage and burst damage, she is in a huge problem, the worst part of her kit is that all her kit is focused in melee attacks, specially auto attacks, i think, with ignorance that she needs balance instead of focusing in just one ability, well that's my opinion and since i haven't played her, i can be totally wrong.

Quote:
Basically vi is one of those not very strong characters who gets a **** ton of dice rolls for extra damage. She's like a red berzerker if you play magic.
I haven't played Magic in a lot of time, i barely remember anything about that game, but yes, Tzabo, no, Tsabo Tavoc was my favorite and first magic card i had.