Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ItsTheFark

11-11-2010

Zileas. "Lazer" Is spelled L.A.S.E.R. Its an acronym, if there was a Z, it wouldnt make any sense.

Shaella

11-11-2010

stupid stone statues in Bayonetta.. Always pissed me off
Because that game is stupidly hard on NORMAL

Lord Oliveira

11-11-2010

Reposting now 3rd time because I think this question is being avoided:

6 champs from now when you guys have been still pumping out characters that are nothing more than renamed and repackaged versions of already existing champs, what are you going to do to bring life to the game without recycling more skills?

The game does not need 7 version of an AoE slow + damage, nor does it need 5 Dark Bindings, nor does it need 123 AoE cc ultimates that all pretty much do the same thing. Can I for once not see a new hero that has a friggin AoE slow? (Xin, Vlad, Lux, MF, Kog just to name a FEW of the recent champs who have this same ****.)

I challenge Riot to try to come up with a hero that has 100% unique skills that don't resemble anything in the game already. And if you cannot, then you need to scrap these garbage design theories because they are keeping the game in the Stone Ages where it takes zero creativity to repackage old skills from old kits on new champs and try to call it a fresh and new kit.

RocketSlug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

Hey Zil and all the others who regularly visit this thread. Daniel Floyd and the rest of the Extra Credits crew on The Escapist just put up a video called "So You Want to be a Game Designer." I thought not only would it be interesting for all the game design pundits here on the forums, but it also gives some insight on what you the game design people at Riot do.

Crimefridge

11-11-2010

Leblanc goes against anti-patterns. Discuss?

C4STER M1N1ON

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2010

You know what's anti fun? Player skills not doing what they're supposed to do, and I bring it up on the forums with no response if there is anything being done.

Please fix TF's PaC!

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-11-2010
118 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicTheHedgedawg View Post
please Zileas. Can you explain this to me how this item doesn't violate that anti pattern? Or how Mana Regen/Level runes aren't way too good compared to, say, energy regen/level?
You should not build to counter one character, and all survival stats give you some benefit against madred's razors. So, I don't see where the choice issue comes in. DPS itemization is mostly about the guy DPSing, not about the 5 people they are against 'countering' it. I would say that yes, buying HP is generally satisfying even if one of your opponents has razors. Now, if this was a 1 on 1 game, it would be a different story because counter build would be just as important as self build. But it's not ;p

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-11-2010
119 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viro Melchior View Post
As someone who has played extensively as Yi recently, as well as vs carries, and as Teemo....

Here is a proposed change to Exhaust:

Current iteration: Blinds the target (100% miss chance), and slows it's Movement Speed by 40% for 3 seconds.

Current mastery: Increases duration by .5 seconds (to 3.5), and also debuffs armor and magic resist by 10 for the duration.

Updated iteration A: Blinds the target (50% miss chance), and slows it's Movement Speed by 25% for 6 seconds.
Updated iteration B: Weakens the target (deals 50% reduced physical damage), and slows it's Movement Speed by 25% for 6 seconds.

Updated mastery: Increases duration by 1 second (to 7), and also debuffs armor and magic resist by 10 for the duration.

Result:
  • Iteration A simply scales down the blind severity. This means that chain-blind no longer completely shuts down an auto-attack champion. It drops your damage by about 50%, subject to the whim of the RNG God.
  • Iteration B takes a new approach to the concept, and avoids the RNG factor entirely. In addition, it also better counters less auto-attack reliant physical attackers (such as Xin Zhao and Pantheon) by dropping the damage (but not preventing the ability side effects).
  • Both Iterations double the duration due to the drop in raw power, which serves as a buff to the slow. So the slow % is toned down while getting the benefit of the increased duration. Finally, the mastery is adjusted to have double duration. The bonus -10 armor/MR is a relatively minor modifier, and not worth halving due to the longer duration, and is simply an improvement to the mastery.
Either way, the focus of the spell becomes a longer duration partial disable, instead of a short duration total disable (against certain champions). No matter what, this would allow physical carries to be somewhat effective despite a summoner spell (I mean, casters, how much would you enjoy "Silenced and Slowed" summoner spell?), while keeping the numbers balance in place.

And as a side effect, Iteration B would open the door for an identically themed anti-caster spell (causing them to deal 50% magic damage for 6 seconds, along with some other globally-useful effect).
We likely will change exhaust to be a weakening effect instead of a pure miss effect, and have it work vs all forms of DPS.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-11-2010
120 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarithium View Post
I hate this thread
This thread hates you too.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

11-11-2010
121 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheFark View Post
Zileas. "Lazer" Is spelled L.A.S.E.R. Its an acronym, if there was a Z, it wouldnt make any sense.
I'm aware, I know how to build a laser also. The Z is for emphasis.