Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uccisore

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazow View Post
you forgot one zileas..

how about not balancing obviously overpowered bullcrap

im really getting tired of playing the same 5 champs in ranked games, and the same 4 champs banned EVERY GAME. its not because people dont like them, its because theyre broken.

Sona is completely broken. high damage, with extreme long range poke, with out of control levels of heal and auras, the run speed makes it a joke, all that on top of an aoe disable? wth were you thinking
Galio does too much damage for being the best tank in the game
amumu's easy mode ult combo is an enabler for champions to remove their risk card
MF is doing too much damage, but largely due to strong tanking
Kog is still doing waaaay to much damage with brazors
Garrens spin is still broken at level 1 after, why hasnt this been fixed yet?
Morgana is still doing waaaay to much damage, and black shield is fairly overpowered

do you even care about ballance? its starting to appear the answer is a resounding no... im sure if were lucky, half these champs might get balanced in a month or two, but hey youll have time to release a half dozen broken champs you havent tested by then. thanks for the joke that is the PTR that you listen to absolutely nothing there.
Um, half the champs you listed have only been in existence for a month or two, and the other half have all been considered UPed depending on the meta. The only champ on your list that's been awesome since I started playing in May is Morgana. Back then, Ashe and Shen were in every game, Warwick was a joke, and people were on the cusp of discovering that Soraka and Janna were OPed.

In other words, the top picks change every 2-3 weeks, you're just whining.

Dunkelzahn

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
Pigtail fetish.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

But I must commend you anyway, because as a fellow Alistar fan I support your work to make my ideal tank (he's got a matador outfit so it's awesome) good again.

T8mNEiLGTw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
well, we are removing flash
FINALLY.

thank you so much.

now I can gank anyone who does stupid things like overextending.

JunSupport

10-23-2010

I really hope there's a new spell to replace Flash.

There are a limited number of choices as it is. Ideally, I'd like to see up to 15 spells, so every game has lots of dynamics.

Holepuncher

10-23-2010

Enlightening discussion of game design theory within the context of games i know, i.e. LoL, WoW and WC3.

This was probably the most interesting thing I've ever read on these forms.

Thx Zileas.

Noctai

10-23-2010

If you're removing flash because anti-fun exceeds fun, then please also remove ghost/exhaust/ignite/heal/fortify. In fact I'd say flash is the least guilty of all of those. Narrowly flash dodging Ashe's arrow or clutch popping an incoming stun is incredibly rewarding. Flash isn't a get out of jail free card by any means.

Oh wait, you mean the summoner abilities are there to best compliment your hero/build/playstyle?! Okay then, keep flash. If you move it to boots then you're forcing the alternative cost of forfeiting mercury treads and all you end up doing is buffing even more the CC/AoE comp. Stun happens to have the largest Anti-fun to fun ratio in the game, by the way.

Montoli

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBeNirvana View Post
On this note, I read your topic and added a post to the big Teemo topic. I think Teemo violates a few but not all of these anti-patterns you mentioned.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...298912&page=68

I go into much more detail into all of this on that particular topic, but to simplify things, I'm worried about the anti-patterns and how they relate to these particular aspects of the character:

* Power Without Gameplay: Toxic Shot

* Burden of Knowledge: Noxious Trap
Unclear Optimization: Noxious Trap (More on the part of Teemo's allies rather than Teemo himself).
* Use Pattern Mis-matches Surrounding Gameplay Move Quick + Camouflage
* Fun Fails to Exceed Anti-Fun: Move Quick

If you have any thoughts on this, I'd like to hear them.
haha, yeah, I'll admit Teemo was on my mind when I asked the question.

I agree on the Teemo Anti-patterns though. :-\

Zilias - if you can say, one thing I HAVE been wondering, is, "Do you guys consider the Teemo rework complete?" Is he where you envision him being now, or is he still in the crosshairs for ?

(Trying hard to keep this neutral and not turn this into [yet another] "OMG BUF TEEMO PLZ" thread. I confess though, I'm curious what the feelings are towards Teemo from inside of riot...)

lIlIlIlIlIlI

10-23-2010

Laughed at the comment about WoW having the best classes of any MMO.

You are severely underprivileged in that hole you live in.

Kithas48

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montoli View Post
haha, yeah, I'll admit Teemo was on my mind when I asked the question.

I agree on the Teemo Anti-patterns though. :-\

Zilias - if you can say, one thing I HAVE been wondering, is, "Do you guys consider the Teemo rework complete?" Is he where you envision him being now, or is he still in the crosshairs for ?

(Trying hard to keep this neutral and not turn this into [yet another] "OMG BUF TEEMO PLZ" thread. I confess though, I'm curious what the feelings are towards Teemo from inside of riot...)
also teemo honestly breaks the fun vs antifun one to me, basically he is pretty fun to play but playing against him is nothing but a rage inducing frenzy (also his noxious trap represents power without gameplay aswell, you dont even have to be there to do over 1k damage to their entire team -_-)

Requitalz

10-23-2010

A combat modifier would've been a much better change to flash than outright removing it, there are already plenty of clunky parts to the game. For example, if you're silenced exactly as you cast a spell your spell will be on cooldown but not go off. Outright removing it is just going to make lots of champions that depend on it worthless (Alistar, Gailo). Just adding a combat modifier to it would keep these champions worthwhile and at the same time help out the champions who it ruins currently (Urgot, Nunu).

But whatever, take the easy way out.

Also, please do not add flash boots, cleanse + flash + ghost will be the stupidest thing ever.