Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

November Terra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomphoolery View Post
Oh man.

It's things like this that makes me cringe at your balance team.
Yeah, you will actually have to L2P now. OH DEAR WHAT EVER SHALL YOU DO!

Gazow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2010

you forgot one zileas..

how about not balancing obviously overpowered bullcrap

im really getting tired of playing the same 5 champs in ranked games, and the same 4 champs banned EVERY GAME. its not because people dont like them, its because theyre broken.

Sona is completely broken. high damage, with extreme long range poke, with out of control levels of heal and auras, the run speed makes it a joke, all that on top of an aoe disable? wth were you thinking
Galio does too much damage for being the best tank in the game
amumu's easy mode ult combo is an enabler for champions to remove their risk card
MF is doing too much damage, but largely due to strong tanking
Kog is still doing waaaay to much damage with brazors
Garrens spin is still broken at level 1 after, why hasnt this been fixed yet?
Morgana is still doing waaaay to much damage, and black shield is fairly overpowered

do you even care about ballance? its starting to appear the answer is a resounding no... im sure if were lucky, half these champs might get balanced in a month or two, but hey youll have time to release a half dozen broken champs you havent tested by then. thanks for the joke that is the PTR that you listen to absolutely nothing there.

Space Traveler

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarionKaiser View Post
is it 100% confirmed?
He wasn't using proper capitalization. It was obviously a joke.

November Terra

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazow View Post
you forgot one zileas..

how about not balancing obviously overpowered bullcrap

im really getting tired of playing the same 5 champs in ranked games, and the same 4 champs banned EVERY GAME. its not because people dont like them, its because theyre broken.

Sona is completely broken. high damage, with extreme long range poke, with out of control levels of heal and auras, the run speed makes it a joke, all that on top of an aoe disable? wth were you thinking
Galio does too much damage for being the best tank in the game
amumu's easy mode ult combo is an enabler for champions to remove their risk card
MF is doing too much damage, but largely due to strong tanking
Kog is still doing waaaay to much damage with brazors
Garrens spin is still broken at level 1 after, why hasnt this been fixed yet?
Morgana is still doing waaaay to much damage, and black shield is fairly overpowered

do you even care about ballance? its starting to appear the answer is a resounding no... im sure if were lucky, half these champs might get balanced in a month or two, but hey youll have time to release a half dozen broken champs you havent tested by then. thanks for the joke that is the PTR that you listen to absolutely nothing there.
The only one I agree with is Garen.

Sona is fine. L2P.
Morgana is fine. L2P.
Amumu is fine. L2P.
Galio is fine. L2P.
Kog'Maw is fine. L2Counter (akali)

SoBeNirvana

Adjudicator

10-23-2010

Quote:
Hey Zileas! Fun to see your thought process behind some of these things.

I have a question: What's your thought on "levelable passives?"

A lot of the older heroes have powers that you level, but that don't do anything when clicked. (Teemo's poison, Cho'goth's spikes, etc) A lot of the newer heroes have "Active powers that also have passives, many of which do things when clicked."

Just wondering if this has been an intentional move. From a "Games are a series of interesting choices" viewpoint, at first blush, it looks like that gives the player more decisions during gameplay. (Especially the ones where the passive turns off during cooldown.) Are we likely to see any "levelable passives" again, or have you been deliberately moving away from those?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
It just depends. Passive skills IN GENERAL are less satisfying than active ones.

But it just depends.

On this note, I read your topic and added a post to the big Teemo topic. I think Teemo violates a few but not all of these anti-patterns you mentioned.

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...298912&page=68

I go into much more detail into all of this on that particular topic, but to simplify things, I'm worried about the anti-patterns and how they relate to these particular aspects of the character:

* Power Without Gameplay: Toxic Shot

* Burden of Knowledge: Noxious Trap
Unclear Optimization: Noxious Trap (More on the part of Teemo's allies rather than Teemo himself).
* Use Pattern Mis-matches Surrounding Gameplay Move Quick + Camouflage
* Fun Fails to Exceed Anti-Fun: Move Quick

If you have any thoughts on this, I'd like to hear them.

Thomphoolery

10-23-2010

Zileas

Your job is to make already terrible champions terrible.

And nerf everything to uselessness. Keep up the good work!

Darkshy

10-23-2010

was a good read I really enjoyed it

/bookmarked

Keyaithewarrior

10-23-2010

Is there going to be a Summoner spell to replace Flash? I'm not looking forward to seeing every teamfight start with 5-6 Exhausts going out.

TimelordMu

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
yeah but not because of the anti-patterns, the ambiguity on AP vs AD is not beneficial
Oh, absolutely. I agree with most of Covenant's analysis too.

His W would be much better as, say, a pseudo lichbane(%ap->ad after cast) and the passive to say a 1 second veil after spell cast. This would have the side benefit of making the rift stacking less painful, because you get additional utility out of it. (obviously number tweaking would need to be done because he is already powerful with a one broken ability and a weaker passive)

I don't mind the silence being a choice of when to use it, though.

Dunkelzahn

10-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aranfusion View Post
Kog'Maw is fine. L2Counter (poppy)
What this guy said, but fixed for fact.