Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DanGR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Conflicted Purpose
This one is not a super strong anti-pattern, but sometimes it's there. A good example of this would be a 500 damage nuke that slows enemy attack speed by 50% for 10 seconds (as opposed to say, 20%), on a 20 second cooldown. At 50%, this is a strong combat initiation disable... but at 500 damage it's a great finisher on someone who is running... but you also want to use it early to get the disable -- even though you won't have it avail by the end of combat usually to finish. This makes players queasy about using the ability much like in the optimization case, but it's a slightly different problem. If the ability exists for too many different purposes on an explicit basis, it becomes confusing. this is different from something like blink which can be used for many purposes, but has a clear basic purpose -- in that place, players tend to just feel creative instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicHero View Post
Lucent Singularity: Fires an anomaly of twisted light to an area, which slows nearby enemies. Lux can detonate it to damage enemies in the area of effect.

?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twigod

Senior Member

10-15-2010

Great read


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dogemelons

Senior Member

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Non-Reliability
Skills are tools. Players count on them to do a job. When a skill is highly unreliable, we have to overpower it to make it 'satisfying enough'. Let me give you an example: Let's say Kayle's targeted invulnerability ult had a 95% chance of working, and a 5% chance of doing nothing when cast. We'd have to make it a LOT stronger to make it 'good enough' because you could not rely upon it... and it would be a lot less fun. Random abilities have this problem on reliability -- they tend to be a lot less satisfying, so you have to overpower them a lot more. Small amounts of randomness can add excitement and drama, but it has a lot of downsides. There are other examples of non-reliability, but randomness is the most obvious one. Abilities that require peculiar situations to do their jobs tend to run into the same problems, such as Tryndamere's shout that only slows when targets are facing away from him.
Sounds like Gangplank's Parrrley (Q) to me, at least early game when you don't have much crit chance. You're hoping that it will crit, and if it does it does a ton of damage, but if it doesn't it can easily cause you to not get a kill.
At least, that goes for Planks that go Infinity Edge/Phantom Dancer/crit/damage. Guess it doesn't really matter for TankPlank (though idk why you'd do that...).


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vacus

Senior Member

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas *******http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif********
Conflicted Purpose
This one is not a super strong anti-pattern, but sometimes it's there. A good example of this would be a 500 damage nuke that slows enemy attack speed by 50% for 10 seconds (as opposed to say, 20%), on a 20 second cooldown. At 50%, this is a strong combat initiation disable... but at 500 damage it's a great finisher on someone who is running... but you also want to use it early to get the disable -- even though you won't have it avail by the end of combat usually to finish. This makes players queasy about using the ability much like in the optimization case, but it's a slightly different problem. If the ability exists for too many different purposes on an explicit basis, it becomes confusing. this is different from something like blink which can be used for many purposes, but has a clear basic purpose -- in that place, players tend to just feel creative instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronicHero *******http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/images/buttons/viewpost.gif********
Lucent Singularity: Fires an anomaly of twisted light to an area, which slows nearby enemies. Lux can detonate it to damage enemies in the area of effect.]
?
Lux's slow is not a conflicted purpose.

It's a slow, and when the slow is about to fade (or when you need the damage, or you don't need the slow), you can convert the slow into damage.

I actually find it a highly interesting ability; the enemy reaction is obvious (get out of the thing that's slowing me), which is exactly what you'd want to do whether or not you know that it can explode at any moment.


Zileas: You have a CS background, don't you. These read entirely too much like the Gang of Four's programming design patterns


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DanGR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacus View Post
Lux's slow is not a conflicted purpose.

It's a slow, and when the slow is about to fade (or when you need the damage, or you don't need the slow), you can convert the slow into damage.

I actually find it a highly interesting ability; the enemy reaction is obvious (get out of the thing that's slowing me), which is exactly what you'd want to do whether or not you know that it can explode at any moment.


Zileas: You have a CS background, don't you. These read entirely too much like the Gang of Four's programming design patterns
I feel like there's a conflict of interest in this move when you're using it in a team fight scenario and you have to decide if you'd rather slow more people over a 5 second period of time or get that guaranteed damage in on one of the champions crossing over the AoE. Unless you're successful in guessing that you'll need the slow a few seconds later rather than the guaranteed damage NOW, it makes for a really unsatisfying skill to be "creative" with.

"If the ability exists for too many different purposes on an explicit basis, it becomes confusing. this is different from something like blink which can be used for many purposes, but has a clear basic purpose -- in that place, players tend to just feel creative instead."
-Zileas


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Systems Designer

10-16-2010

It's actually the opposite.

Because it snares, if placed in front of a fleeing team, you have the opportunity to catch more of them in the circle before you detonate it.

This mechanic plays out fine.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

smaaash

Recruiter

10-16-2010

almost feels like if this is an indirect sho t aimed at DOTA 2..lol.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nastis

Senior Member

10-16-2010

good read!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SuperStomper

Senior Member

10-16-2010

Dying makes me unable to move, attack, or cast spells which is no fun. Please stop implementing damage because it's even worse than mana burn.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NDfXTKlFxuKSbeRT

Senior Member

10-16-2010

all i see from the post is the defending of making noob champions to earn more noob players and money.