Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

10-15-2010
32 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
It feels bad to lose a significant part of the ability.
I don't want to derail this thread, but what is your opinion on Black Shield causing abilities to fizzle entirely instead of simply redirecting their damage to the shield itself? Laser bird is a good example.

Lazersharkzilla

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knote View Post
Told you it was a silly example.

I wasn't necessarily talking about the Burden of Knowledge and things like that. Just when people say things are "overly convoluted" and stuff. Wouldn't Swain's Ultimate be considered that? From reading everything here it seems like Complex = Bad, bad, bad and ALWAYS bad.
Complex isn't bad. OVERLY complex is bad. Everything in his ult serves a purpose and it synergizes well with its self. When an ability is so complex doesn't synergize well with its self or the champions other abilities, that is "Pointlessly Convoluted"

Freykin

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeves View Post
I enjoyed the gameplay of Priest mana burn in WoW. There was lots of positioning/counter positioning gameplay (don't stand in the open to get gibbed if you're the priest, LoS behind pillars as the victim, interrupt etc), and 3 mana burns didn't leave you oom. Hunters were way worse - 1 shot to drain 15% of your mana, repeat for 1 minute, win.

WC3 had more offensive mana burn in the form of the Demon Hunter. He would kite you for 15 seconds and drain your mana in the process, meaning you couldn't cast spells for 5 minutes. Wait a minute, didn't Zileas work on WC3...
Or get a Manta Style on Phantom Lancer in DotA. What's that? Images burn 32 mana a hit? and there's 6 of them surrounding you so you can't move? GG!

Geeves

Lead Live Designer

10-15-2010
33 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
O'Brien --

You are fired.
Rude.

Knote

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelimBradley View Post
I don't want to derail this thread, but what is your opinion on Black Shield causing abilities to fizzle entirely instead of simply redirecting their damage to the shield itself? Laser bird is a good example.
Can't they just rework Black Shield to simply make you immune to X, Y, Z type of CC while absorbing spell dmg?

So that debuffs can still be applied such as Torment, Anivia Chill (just won't slow). Etc?

Knote

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by freykin View Post
Or get a Manta Style on Phantom Lancer in DotA. What's that? Images burn 32 mana a hit? and there's 6 of them surrounding you so you can't move? GG!

LOL I remember seeing people get trapped in a sudden burst of Illusion spawns. Omg those were funny moments.

I especially remember doing the Techie + Tiny combo = Hand Grenade.

(For those of you who don't know, Techie could suicide for a big boom (and could be turned on autocast) while tiny could toss allies and enemy alike to a unit)

Or my favorite, Techie Mine Cluster + Dark Seer vacuum (sucks enemies to a group point).

Saffire

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeves View Post
Rude.
It seems like you get fired about once a month.

Geeves

Lead Live Designer

10-15-2010
34 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffire View Post
It seems like you get fired about once a month.
People fear what they don't understand. In my case, Zileas doesn't understand what it's like to be awesome, and thus he fears me.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

10-15-2010
35 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knote View Post
Can't they just rework Black Shield to simply make you immune to X, Y, Z type of CC while absorbing spell dmg?

So that debuffs can still be applied such as Torment, Anivia Chill (just won't slow). Etc?
They could, and I'd love to see that change made.

zerfman

10-15-2010

On that note. MF's q= SUPER anti-fun. The problem isn't that it does too much damage. its that its completely unpredictable. and therefore very hard to find a safe place near your minions.