Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Viye

09-16-2012

Karthus is my favourite champion in League. When I got him at level 10, all the way to around level 15-20, people didn't know what my passive was. They'd kill me and stand over my corpse firing skillshots and such. There are other examples of this. Abilities that require the "victim" too look up to properly fight. Contradicting yourself.

Sir Hammerlock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

09-16-2012

Dat necro

1337 2thaparty

09-16-2012

I'm sorry but Burden of Knowledge is pretty much null and void. Give me an instance where a new champion doesn't have his skills explained. Or when a new player begins to play the game and has to learn what each champion does, how to build them and what skills to master first. There are builds for a reason and spotlights. Burden of knowledge is a bs way of saying " I want to simplify my game without people thinking it's actually being simplified and instead babying newbies.

Everyone goes through Burden of Knowledge whenever they do something new in real life or in a video game. The only thing it's doing as stated above is lowering quality of gameplay. Take Maledict for example, it is a dot that deals more damage based on damage sustained on previous ticks. So if you let it be by itself it'll do more damage, but more damage makes it deal even more. Swain's Torment was supposed to have this effect on it, but instead due to "burden of bull****" Riot decided to give Swain a percent of increased damage on the target. Albeit the effect is their in essence, it would've added more gameplay if the effect stacked retroactively and with other damaging instances.

Jusek

09-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejacu1337 View Post
I'm sorry but Burden of Knowledge is pretty much null and void. Give me an instance where a new champion doesn't have his skills explained. Or when a new player begins to play the game and has to learn what each champion does, how to build them and what skills to master first. There are builds for a reason and spotlights. Burden of knowledge is a bs way of saying " I want to simplify my game without people thinking it's actually being simplified and instead babying newbies.

Everyone goes through Burden of Knowledge whenever they do something new in real life or in a video game. The only thing it's doing as stated above is lowering quality of gameplay. Take Maledict for example, it is a dot that deals more damage based on damage sustained on previous ticks. So if you let it be by itself it'll do more damage, but more damage makes it deal even more. Swain's Torment was supposed to have this effect on it, but instead due to "burden of bull****" Riot decided to give Swain a percent of increased damage on the target. Albeit the effect is their in essence, it would've added more gameplay if the effect stacked retroactively and with other damaging instances.
Go ahead. Make a video game. Normally I would provide examples (The huge wall of knowledge and technical skill that blocks new SSBM from competitive play vs. the much less daunting Brawl), but there's just nothing to do here.

DontWeturself

09-20-2012

I now see why a lot of games have been going casual. following this list as a novice will make you make a game with a bunch of flashes and "nice jobs" floating around the screen.

xkhazixmaster18

09-29-2012

Why is it that syndra fits in to almost every "anti-pattern" you listed?

Armored bear not OK but uber complex and weak champ does?

LolManny

10-03-2012

Rise

Uber Bonisseur

10-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusek View Post
Go ahead. Make a video game. Normally I would provide examples (The huge wall of knowledge and technical skill that blocks new SSBM from competitive play vs. the much less daunting Brawl), but there's just nothing to do here.
"I can't pull off any arguments right now, so I'll make a vague quote and ask you to spend the next year making a videogame to prove my 10 seconds post wrong"

DebosBike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
It wont be as much in the mid-december patch. We are reducing global XP rewards in general, and giving solo laners an XP penalty (no effect on junglers). We feel this will make double duo lane viable, or closer to it anyway.
I'm sorry... but an XP PENALTY? for a solo lane...? Why should it be more difficult to do something that is already more difficult?

NoobuchadnezzaR

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebosBike View Post
I'm sorry... but an XP PENALTY? for a solo lane...? Why should it be more difficult to do something that is already more difficult?
I do hope you realise you are replying to a 2 year old post.