Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Requitalz

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord GiantR View Post
D) Tp scroll damages you after you survive on 200 and die anyways :P.
You're bad, TPing while he ulted didn't damage you unless it was Furion's.

Golly

10-15-2010

Quote:
We believe that giving the victim counter gameplay is VERY fun -- but that we should not place a 'burden of knowledge' on them figuring out what that gameplay might be.
That is kind of a dumb statement. In what game does the 'burden of knowledge' NOT fall on the player? Part of every game is trial and error. Ever watch the Super Mario World gumba guy video?

KVG Robc

10-15-2010

Thanks for the insight into the design choices. Makes a lot of sense (but i still think the fun vs. anti-fun factor of black shield is in the red). have it break upon eating a cc or dot who's full duration would cause the damage to break it, and don't let it be cast retroactively to cancel suppression, (urgot ult) it should only shield from the damage in that case.

serverny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2010

Yeah, quite fun reading, but the question is -
WILL WE EVER GET ANOTHER CHAMPION TO RIVAL ANIVIA IN COMPLEXITY AND REWARD LEVEL ?
Because last champions you released all seem too reused, boring and not unique to me.
Also, their gameplay patterns are too one-sided and predictable.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-15-2010
25 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord GiantR View Post
They were ankhs in beta. Hourglasses though seemed to fit better with the theme.
hm maybe i should think about this issue. will take a look later.

BACKSTABUUU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2010

Alright, I have a question.

How would an ability that nukes and also kills your character factor into this design philosophy?

Say, maybe an ult where you character channels for 2-3 seconds, upon the end of which, explodes for a large amount of damage HOWEVER falling below 25-30% HP will cancel it?

rambo

Adjudicator

10-15-2010

Isn't flash an example of when anti-fun exceeds fun?

If I flash away, it's cool but I knew I had flash up my sleeve that whole time. However, my enemy that was trying to kill me is really pissed and ends up using expletives under his breath (and some unintended alliteration).

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-15-2010
26 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
Isn't flash an example of when anti-fun exceeds fun?

If I flash away, it's cool but I knew I had flash up my sleeve that whole time. However, my enemy that was trying to kill me is really pissed and ends up using expletives under his breath (and some unintended alliteration).
quite likely. which is why i have a meeting about it at 4pm pst.

The Crow

10-15-2010

Interesting read.

Edit: Also, i loved rupture in DotA
I fully intend on getting DotA 2 when it comes out, but don't worry i'll still be playing LoL as well.

Lord GiantR

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aratrok the Pony View Post
How exactly does a TP scroll hurt you? o.O
If i remember correctly how the game mechanic worked Rupture dealt damage based on distance traveled, and there was a cap so that people wont get insta killed when Tp-ing. But it should deal damage or at least some damage. Might be wrong though