Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Komori Kiri

09-02-2011

Well long-term resources in general are not especially the funniest thing around. I always thought "mana pool" was a stupid design in most games, and I still do. In LoL I really don't see the point of Mana in it's current state - if it was regenerating quicker out of battle, why not, but... Being "oom" is not fun for the oom guy, nor for the other, and there is no real gameplay leading you to force your enemy to go oom.

If you remove the manaburn mechanics, why not just remove mana ? That was the only mechanism that was giving a little interest to the mana mechanic - though really little, unbalanced and quite a failure from the start.

No, really, I don't see the point of mana in it current state. It just creates frustration - there is smarter ways to restrain avaibility of spells than mana (in its current state at least).

MajorKite

09-02-2011

My respect meter was up and down as I read the OP then I read this

Quote:
Situationally Moderate:Horrify + fear kiting from a competent warlock who outgears you in WoW. Guess what? You die before getting to react, while watching it in slow motion!
55 HIT COMBO
TKO.

Protip: If you can make it past level 19 you might notice that fear+terrify doesn't work too well anymore, get off the twink.

Marimokkori

09-02-2011

So basically, you want to make the game incredibly easy to the point of being too boring to play...

Zileas

VP of Game Design

09-05-2011
280 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorKite View Post
My respect meter was up and down as I read the OP then I read this

55 HIT COMBO
TKO.

Protip: If you can make it past level 19 you might notice that fear+terrify doesn't work too well anymore, get off the twink.
You missed the disclaimer about the era of WoW I'm referring to. Obviously they have tweaked out a lot of these situations over the past 8 years.

xXPerfeXionXx

09-05-2011

so then why don't you fix anti-fun abilities on champs

Grognak The Barb

09-05-2011

Why is vladimir allowed to exist then?

Orimoth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grognak The Barb View Post
Why is vladimir allowed to exist then?
Vladimir existed before the acceptance of "spell vamp" as an itemizable stat. Not sure if they've gone far enough in the time since, though.

Loganos

09-05-2011

Interesting read, really. All this seems very true, but still, somehow contributes to a certain fear in champion conception.

People have been complaining a lot about creativity lately. I don't think it's all true, but still, some if it is. I don't think you lack creative people though. They seem competent and smart. They do not lack of ideas. So what is the problem ?

You created too many rules and you are stuck between them. I see it as a lack of risks. Too much taste kills creativity, too much rules also. But rules are a necessity... so in the end, what can we do to fix this ?

Can you give us some insight on how you are going to step up your game like promised when Orianna was announced ? A melee fighter with a pet to constantly exchange places ? Meta-building supports (with abilities that create map-based gameplay) ? A champ that can be at several places at once (shared health cloning maybe) ?

What is the future of LoL ?

Pure Phoenix

09-05-2011

I think you need to crack down on the amount of bugs being released into the client recently, Zileas.
The amount of times you have to press a summoner spell for it to go off, makes the experience very anti-fun.

Just the other day i had to spam ignite litterally 8-15 times before it would go off. More frequently it happens with Heal and i'm not lagging. I press it sometimes 2-3 seconds before i'm about to die and it just doesn't go off.

Naziru

09-05-2011

I still think removing flash as an SS and putting it on an item(preferably boots) is the best option for dealing with it's current state as an auto pick for EVERY SINGLE GAME/CHAMP.
I think you guys need to stop making characters that are almost carbon copies of old ones such as Lux-Morgana, Leona-Mummy, etc. If you have run out of original ideas for new champs, stop making new champs for a while so we don't end up with a bunch of subpar champs or champs that simply replace a preexisting one.
Observer mode would be nice.
Clan support would be nice.
Built in voip would also be nice.
Normal draft mode would be great.