Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ha u suck u noob

08-17-2011

who likes the spider queen piz like

Iseky

08-19-2011

Isn't it time that Riot got rid of this policy? Catering to bads seems ******ed as soon as DotA 2 comes.

IS1e71d52bb3acecaf7da37

08-19-2011

What, you got tired of your noob-unfriendly spells? What a shame...

Mayobe

08-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iseky View Post
Isn't it time that Riot got rid of this policy? Catering to bads seems ******ed as soon as DotA 2 comes.
As soon as DotA2 comes the sky will turn red with blood and the stars will blink out.
As soon as DotA2 comes infants will forever after be born with 5 eyes and seven ears.
As soon as DotA2 comes the moon will turn into cheese and be eaten by space mice.
As soon as DotA2 comes the oceans will boil and prove that Mother Nature makes the best gumbo ever (Take that, New Orleans!).
As soon as DotA2 comes all computers with LoL installed will immediately gain self-awareness and in a fit of rage and confusion will start doing all the household chores.
As soon as DotA2 comes human awareness will ascend and everyone will realize how fun it is to staple their own ears to a wall.

And the least likely result:
As soon as DotA2 comes maybe people will stop posting ******ed **** about it in the forums.

DaJonney

08-19-2011

this is why when you start a game company you need to pick up a professional from a major company who understands good game development and has worked on badass games *wink* *wink*

Dementation

08-19-2011

Stupidest.
Thing.
Ever.

ImboredxP

08-19-2011

I honestly disagree with the Burden of Knowledge. By either finding these tiny details or look them up, you get the satisfaction of learning something. I don't know if I'm a hardcore gamer or anything, but I find if you don't have the time to look up what a skill does online in a few minutes, you shouldn't be playing the game in the first place. I'm relatively new to this game, so whenever I play, I always keep my browser open so during loading screen, I just switch to the browser and look up the skills and tiny details of my opponents. It doesn't even take that long, so I find the Burden of Knowledge argument not sound.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

08-22-2011
256 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godunderscor View Post
It seems to me that Yorick's normal Ghouls fall under the False Choice - Ineffective Choice category.

Looking at them, they give no bounty for killing; and the task of killing one can be time-consuming. They also have a low cooldown, so killing one doesn't hurt Yorick's damage for a long period.

Killing a ghoul does reduce Yorick's damage and tankiness, but only by a small percentage; and again - given the low cooldown - I feel it's better to skip past the ghouls and target other threats.
Yes, Yorick in general does have a few issues like this. We had a lot of challenges in making a minion-based champion.

ChangWu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2011

anti fun is anti fun

i feed tibber

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2011

the only thing annoys me about yorick is that his is a minion lord that release minions and can't control them, the minions never have enough times to execute enough attacks to worth the mana, its as if yorick is just a right click champion that have some useless spells to activate his sheen...