Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ErdoS The Wise

01-19-2011

@Zileas: What is the context of these anti-fun patterns? Moba's or game in general or your opinion? What?

For example microing (which i could have sworn was here) was considered anti-fun and yet is the entire gameplay of a RTS.

BTW for those of you who dont know, microing is controlling summons and other miniscule things, like in Guildwars making your heroes (not you) cast certain spells on certain monsters.

Also:

Use Pattern Mis-matches Surrounding Gameplay
Gangplank is melee but played as a ranged with Parrrley... except it doesnt apply his passive. Yes you could say it would make him OP if it did, but you can change the numbers around, as of right now it is pattern mismatch

Weshnew

01-19-2011

Does anyone really enjoy being stunned?

PoPoBison

01-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weshnew View Post
Does anyone really enjoy being stunned?
People enjoy stunning enough that I think it will be a major facet of all popular MOBAs. However, I think they don't want stunlocking to become good, because thats one of the most infuriating things to face.

A U L

01-19-2011

"Anti-fun is the negative experience your opponents feel when you do something that prevents them from 'playing their game' or doing activities they consider fun."

Always been my philosophy in games. As a gamer I've come to understand the two types of gamers: Type A / play to WIN! , and Type B / play for FUN. There are strengths and weaknesses to both types. But I've always held the philosophy that a game should be fun first; eventhough losing never is. A fun game is one where everyone laughs or enjoys or feels satisfied even after losing and just wants to play again. Anti-fun is where you've been tied down and forced to endure someone else beating you in a game for their own pleasure (Magic The Gathering anyone?)

It is great to know that the devs are indeed cognizant of such anti-patterns and really do try to work away from them!

Pinith

01-21-2011

I'd like some clarification on the difference between 'Power without Gameplay' and cumbersome gameplay.
---------
I think friendly AI is a good example here. A helper AI for pets or turrets adds no gameplay, as it is making decisions on its own; but does add power by semi-intelligently targeting enemies. The 'skill' of the AI determines its power, and no AI at all would mean the power is linked to the player.

I also don't think it is necessarily a good idea to remove AI from pets that there can be multiples of, as the potential control issues can be big. It's just hard to separately direct 3 pets to different targets if that happens to be the best choice, or spread them out to reduce the effect of AoE.
---------
Aura/buff alternatives have a similar trade-off, like blood boil. These add 'gameplay' as well as extra work for the player. My question is, how do you draw the line between these two metrics?

Renelius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2011

Can we stop bumping this?

TehOwn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2011

No.

ElGuapo

01-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renelius View Post
Can we stop bumping this?
ok

Jerry Sandusky

01-22-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zileas View Post
CassiOPeia.
inc cassiopeia buffs????

AbominableToast

01-23-2011

@zileas

when someone designed vlad did they consider any of these rules?

he can get to full hp in one creepwave, he can trololo his way out of what you thought was a kill, and he is played by the cockiest players who think they are sooooo pro for picking such a "well rounded and balanced champion" he is extremely frustrating to play against and everytime I see vladimir it makes me want to punch my monitor in the hopes it somehow punches that guy in the face.

Yes I just lost a game to vladimir, who tower dived me when I was full hp and lived with enough hp to kill another champion then casually sanguine pool to safety

inb4 you vlad bro